Gaspe flybox - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 03:54 PM

Gaspe flybox

I'm (half dreaming, half) planning a Gaspe or New Brunswick salmon/brook trout trip this summer. What one or two dozen patterns should I be tying for this and in what sizes? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2006, 07:43 PM

I can't help you much with the brook trout, but here's a list for salmon:

Rusty Rat
Silver Rat
Green Highlander
Orange Blossum
Black Bear/Green Butt
Sugerman Shrimp
Night Hawk
General Practioner
Blue Charm
Undertaker
Magog Smelt
Green Widow
John Olin

There are lots more, but this is a good start. The black and green stonefly patterns are important on the two Cascapedia rivers. As far as size, so much depends on time of the year and water levels. In early June I sometimes use 2/0 standard wire doubles, whereas in September and low water I've been known to use #16 flies (salmon hook #16, not a trout hook.) About the only dry flies I bring anymore are bombers in assorted colors. Irresistibles, and the various Wulff patterns work, too.

This should occupy much of your winter.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Josko,

The patterns listed by JR Spey are quite effective. You basically need just a few bright patterns (green highlander, orange blossom, cossaboom), a few dark patterns (black dose, black bear/green butt), a silver pattern or two (silver rat, down easter), a few medium or natural shades (grey rat, rusty rat), and a muddler....as for wets.

Drys are bombers, smaller split wing bombers in different colors like natural or olive...with various hackle colors. Very simple. Its like anything else. A few of different colors. My feelings are that the categories I listed above are more important than specific patterns.

The sizes are more important. It all depends on the river you fish, and the water levels at that time of the year. Most Gaspe public waters are on the small small, except for the Matapedia. It also depends upon where you want to fish in that river.....as the bigger water is down stream and the smaller water is up stream. The size of your hook regulates the speed of your swing. Bigger water....bigger iron, to slow the speed down in strong fast current. Smaller water, less powerful current.....smaller iron to speed the swing.

In June, the water is highish. Sizes on MOST of these public waters should range from #4s to #8s. In July, it can range from #8 - #12. In August, #8 - #12, and in Sept, if the water comes up, it can revert back to June-July sizes. It all depends on the levels. And again, size is of most importance.

My feeling is the there are so many patterns....and they all catch fish. It's the presentation (delivery, swing speed regulated by mending casting distance and size of hook), and the willingness of your quarry to take your fly. It may sound complex, but it is not. Once you experience the feeling.....you will catch on quickly.

As for drys, they take all sizes. Big ones are great locators, and small ones are great takers......but all take fish. Just ty them with the least amount of winds, pack them tight, so they float like corks once dressed.

Buy a good salmon pattern book......like Bates or something else, and try your skills. Keep you heads small and neat, and your proportions correct. Bates has some great pics so you can follow those proportions. And as for "half dreaming", perhaps you should start tying. It's a great excersise to expand the dream into reality. Once you have a good collection, you will want to fish them......
Old 12-30-2006, 08:05 PM

Very thoughtful and informative reply, Howie. I will be fishing the Gaspe in September and found your advise most informative. Many thanks, Terry
Old 12-30-2006, 11:45 PM

This probably should be discounted, because I only fished the Gaspe once and will, in all likelyhood, never fish there again.

But, that being said: had very excellent success on the Bonaventure with a really hideous fly we use on the Deschutes [sometime, when I'm really in my cups, I'll write up the the highlight of my Quebec adventure].

Very simple dressing:

No. 2 - 2/0 TULE hook.
Tail: Blue flashabou [Charlie's already stopped reading this]
Body: Palmered black rabbit
Wing: Black Crystal Flash
Head: Black

This was a consistent persuader in twilight, both dawn and dusk.

Don't show the fly to anyone. He or she will tear up your ticket.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 01-02-2007, 07:22 AM

Well, I'm game to start tying. What's THE pattern book for these flies? I notice Bates has two books on Amazon: 'Fishing Atlantic Salmon' and 'The Art of the Atlantic Salmon Fly' (methinks the first is what I want, no)?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:58 AM

Bates, Jorgenson...... and many other books, offer great info on flies that you can use on the Gaspé peninsula.

I would recommend you a new book and one publish in 1998 by Paul Mariner.

Modern Atlantic Salmon Flies (1998) and
A Compendium of Canadian Fly Patterns(2006)

Both books give you descriptive information on new creations of Trout and Salmon flies tyed by local fisherman of Québec and the maritime provinces. These are new and proven effective patterns and I am sure it will help you in your pattern research.

I am glad to be one of many contributors to these books.

For more info go to www.galesendpress.com.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

Hello Andre.
Nice to see you on the board. We met on two occasions as i toured the peninsula a few summers back when you had the shop at the house in Gaspe. I still have the Saumon magazine that you signed for me with the fly you had in it.
Back to the thread,,, i would recommend "Flies for Atlantic Salmon" by Stewart and Allen. Many fine patterns for the Gaspe. One i would personally recommend is the Pompier,,, this is a GREAT fly,,,period!! A close second would be Gary Andersons La Verte. Beautiful salmon flies to tie and fish!!!
POMPIER
Tag: Oval gold tinsel.
Tail: Fibres from a golden pheasant rump feather.
Body: Black Chenille. (I rather seal fur)
Rib: Oval gold tinsel.
Wing: Yello Polar Bear. (or substitute)
Cheeks: Jungle Cock.
Collar: Bright green hackle, long.
Head: Red.

La Verte
Tag:Oval silver tinsel(about 8-9 turns)
Tail: Golden pheasant crest.
Body: Green Peacock Herl.
Rib: Fine oval silver tinsel.
Wing: Silver fox guard hair or gray squirrel.
Throat:two hackles, the front one green and the rear one yellow, wound as a collar and pulled down and back.
Cheeks: Jungle cock.

About the wing on the pattern thats in the Stewart/Allen book. The pattern says silver fox but its not silver fox that is used or pictured. The wing should be Gray fox(as in the Rat series) and not silver,,,which is actualy black with a silvery sheen to it.
Hope these work for those who try them.
Salmon Chaser.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:17 PM

We've just booked in for this September with Anne for our first Atlantic Salmon trip and we have a list of flies, but I'm curious about the dries. When we're talking about tying an Adams for salmon, it's obviously bigger than a trout version. I normally tie my steelhead patterns on Kamasan B180 and B190 hooks and I'd like to continue using them down east. The B180s are a low water type, yet they're still a heavy wire hook compared to a trout dry fly hook. I can't imagine a #8 B180 floating unless I tied on a cork float.

I'd like to narrow down my dry fly choices to just two or three so any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:23 PM

keep it simple

Picasse in every size
Jones Special
Pompier
Bombers

Did I say Picasse?

O yeah, don't forget Picasse.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
Picasse in every size
Jones Special
Pompier
Bombers

Did I say Picasse?

O yeah, don't forget Picasse.

Thanks, found the Picasse in the archives. I find it interesting that browns and olives don't seem to figure too highly in salmon patterns.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:52 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Hi Peter
I'll send you a couple of flies. Don't tell anybody.
Bill
Old 01-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Wonderful Bill, mum's the word . . . . .
Old 01-11-2007, 07:35 PM

Picasse, all the way. Big, small, doesn't matter (water height and temp of course) and you can even change the yellow out for another color (green, red, blue) and even the lace body. It's a cool pattern to play with.

Look up 'Aldo' too. It's my favorite fly of Marc's and it's my first fly on every year. Don't know about fall but I'm sure it'll do. White muddler on those clear rivers on clear days.

No more secrets.

-Chris
Old 01-11-2007, 09:46 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Yo!!

OHHHH! wrke (what??!!) .... ( I will definitely go check his fly box!!)

To name a few!!

Some other patterns to consider:
- Tiger Ghost was a hot fly last season ( all season)
- Orange & white bomber
- White Bomber
- white & Olive Bomber
- Your guide's famous Muddlers ( it's a secret too!)
- Copper KIller
- Green Highlander
- Mickey Finn ( yup, September it's a hot fly too) I guess they forget they saw it in early June!
- Royal coachman
- Green machine

Sweet salmon dreams!!

A..

Last edited by QuebecSporting; 01-11-2007 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.