Forgot what a big hooknose looks like... - Fly Fishing Forum
Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon Perhaps the most under-rated fishery in the world

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2001, 08:16 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Forgot what a big hooknose looks like...

It's been a while. Anyone want to help me out with a recent pic?

You can email it to me if you don't have a place to post it:

mail me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2001, 09:52 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Hopefully I will get some pics for ya when I get back from Sitka. Im just worried about the pursuit of these fish with bugrod as lately they have gone deep and they arent even jigging for them, let alone fishing the fly.
Old 07-30-2001, 10:28 PM

Ryan -

We've done well deep doing the following...

Using a T-series 350-400 grain, a cortland 325 grain or a Rio deep sea 350 grain etc - any line of this style, throw a modified clouser deep minnow tied with flashabou and chartruese highlights -or- a squid pattern -or- a herring pattern straight out to the side of the boat. As the boat drifts forward, allow the line to sink until it's angled off toward the rear of the boat and deep.

Retrieve slowly despite the natural tendency to rip it in for coho. Although you don't want to move it very far with each strip, jolt it pretty good to send out the signal pulse. Shock and stop. Let the boat drift move the fly for you in between jolts to keep it deep. Speed up the retrieve as the fly ascends toward the transom, tease any chasers by sight as the fly approaches the boat. Repeat.

Choosing the right drift is as important as anything else. Pick a seam where the coho are strafing bait and where the fly can be presented deep without falling to dogfish, ratfish, etc. I've done both on flies I am afraid to admit.

Unlike the random encounters of trolling, you need to seek out kelp beds on points where feeding activity is high on tide changes, large rocky outcroppings that break current up where fish can ambush bait, and work the slick lines where two major currents run alongside each other.

If you find krill, you'll find salmon. The herring gather around it and the salmon eat both the krill and the herring. My experience has been that you will also find horse mackeral around the krill, which are a kick on the fly rod but kind of anti-climatic after the initial hit.

Man I wish I could go there with you!
Old 07-31-2001, 11:05 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Thanks Juro for all the tips!!!!!!

The pinks have arrived and the shorelines are THICK with them little slimy buggers up there right now. Guess Ill have to bring the 5100 RPL+ and have some evening fun.
Old 08-01-2001, 11:02 AM

Hey, Juro,

Got millions of pictures of hooknoses. What exactly are you looking for? Got slides and some prints, which I'll scan in tonight.

EB
Ass't Sect'y
Hooknose Society (Honest)
Old 08-02-2001, 12:20 PM

Ask and thou shall receive!

My utmost thanks to Eric Bigler, Ass't Sect'y
Hooknose Society for this FIX!!!

wait for them to load... they're worth it!

SERIOUS HOOKNOSE ACTION DUDE

Thanks Eric.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.