Fly swap time! - Trout flies - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2006, 06:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Fly swap time! - Trout flies

Well it's getting to be about that time of year again. I've really gotten back into trout fishing the last couple of years so I'd like to do a swap of trout flies. So who's in? If you haven't done one before, don't be shy. There's really nothing to it. Your flies don't need to be professional quality!

General fly swap rules:

1. 10-12 tyers is a good size.
2. Post the pattern you're going to tie when you say you're going to participate. Don't just say you're participating or we could end up with 10-12 of the same pattern! It's ok to list a couple of different patterns you might tie and decide later.
3. The Swapmaster will keep a rolling list of participants and the patterns in the original post that started the thread.
4. Once 12 people sign up, the swap will be closed. It gets too tough to keep track after that.
5. Flies should be mailed in very small cardboard boxes or in a fly box inside a large envelope. Write your forum name and real name printed on it. Include a return envelope in the package, with your return address on it, and the same amount of postage as was required to ship your flies to the Swapmaster. Fly boxes make it easy since hooks won't poke through packaging, flies won't get squashed, and you get back the flies in a case you can just put back with your fishing gear.
7. Make sure the return envelope is big enough to accomodate large flies! You might send a size 20 nymph, but somebody else might send a 4-5" long streamer.
8. Take photos of your fly prior to sending them and post information about the pattern including tying instructions, how you fish it, etc.
9. Including an extra fly for the Swapmaster is a courtesy, not mandatory, but a nice touch. (Personally, I like to send the extras back out to people. I don't do the Swapmaster thing for free flies!)
10. Make the deadline for sending the flies to the Swapmaster. Don't make the Swapmaster chase you down.
11. Put your screen name and real name on the outside of the envelope when you ship it to the swapmaster.
12. Take the time to show your best work. You might want to space it out since tying a dozen of the same pattern can be tedious.
13. Try to tie something unique. An olive woolly bugger is a great pattern that'll catch lots of fish, but people can buy it anywhere and anybody can tie one. If you have the ability, tie something different. If you're new to tying and all you can tie is a woolly bugger, don't let this "rule" scare you away. Llke I said, olive woolly buggers catch fish so nobody is going to complain if you send one! If you're a more experienced tyer though, you should be trying a little harder.
14. It's perfectly fine to contribute two patterns to a fly swap, but not more than two. Just make sure you list both of them when signing up!
15. The Swapmaster will provide his/her address via PM to the participants. It's not a good idea to post personal information on the web for everybody to read.
16. Beginners are encouraged to join. Don't feel like you need to be an experienced tyer to participate. I've only been tying for 2 years and most of my stuff looks like it got run over by a dump truck before it ever hit the water!
17. Send an email to the Swapmaster when you send your flies to him.
18. Send an email to the Swapmaster when you receive your swap flies back.

Now on to the specifics of this swap.
Sign-up Deadline: January 31st or when we hit 12 people, whichever comes first
Flies due by: Saturday, March 5th
Experience required: If you can tie a half hitch you're qualified.
Fly type: Trout flies - Eastern, Western, Northern, Southern, European, Icelandic, Arctic, etc are all welcome.
Swapmaster: Me (Scott/teflon_jones)

1. Scott (teflon_jones) - #2 Olive sculpin & Original Blond variation (two flies), or possibly a size 12 black nymph pattern instead of the sculpin.
2. YOU!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 08:43 AM

#18 PMD's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2007, 08:00 AM

For some reason I can't edit my original post so I'll keep the sign-up list in this post:

1. Scott (teflon_jones) - #2 Olive sculpin & Original Blond variation (two flies), or possibly a size 12 black nymph pattern instead of the sculpin.
2. josko - #18 PMD's
3. Quentin - #8 black nosed dace
4. ???

Last edited by teflon_jones; 01-05-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:04 PM
_

Well, I keep saying I need to learn more about trout fishing so I guess I'll jump in.

#8 black nosed dace

Q
Old 01-16-2007, 05:55 AM

I'd like to be in!
Will ty a CDC Grannom, size 12, with an egg-sack.
Sjo
Old 01-17-2007, 05:52 AM

Once again I can't edit my previous post...

2. josko - #18 PMD's
4. Sjo Crapels - CDC Grannom, size 12, with an egg-sack
5. ???
Old 01-30-2007, 01:35 AM

Bump bump...

Need a few more people!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:08 PM

Well, since we don't have enough people yet, I figure we'll extend this to the end of Feb. That still gives us enough time to get the flies before the start of the season.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:59 PM

Fly Swap

3 variations on a "Cricket-Head Salt-Shaker". This has been a deadly fly and is easy to tie.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:29 AM

One more person has signed up. Hopefully we can get at least one more! I'm tying two patterns so right now that means everybody gets 6 flies, which isn't too bad anyway.

Scott

2. josko - #18 PMD's
5. vtloon - "Cricket-Head Salt-Shaker"
Old 02-28-2007, 08:25 PM

Come on, there's gotta be one more person out there interested!

Bueller? Bueller?????
Old 03-01-2007, 08:32 AM

Leech

I'll get in with a pine squirrel leech.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:25 PM

Well I think this is all we're going to get so let's start tying! I'll IM each of you my address to send flies to. There are six people in the swap, but I'm tying two flies, so that means everybody needs to tie 6 flies and you'll get 6 flies back.

The deadline for getting flies to me is the end of this month. That gives you 4 weeks to tie, which should be plenty, and I'll be able to get flies back to you in time for the early part of trout season.

2. josko - #18 PMD's
5. vtloon - "Cricket-Head Salt-Shaker"[/QUOTE]
6. Brad - pine squirrel leech
Old 03-11-2007, 02:38 PM

Flies going into the mail tomorrow. A friend and I hit the North Platte yesterday and at dusk they were taking the leeches that I'm sending. Looking forward to seeing everyone's flies.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:43 PM

Cricket-heads Enroute

6 plus 1 Cricket-head Salt Shakers are on their way. The back 2/3 of this fly is the regular Salt Shaker tie, Salt & Pepper Flashabou with a flop back wing. The front 1/3 is a spun deerhair head that I add because I want the fly to move some water.
I've tried to attach picture (jpg, well w/in size) but it keeps getting refused. I'll keep trying.

Last edited by vtloon; 03-16-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.