What fishing trips are you planning this year? - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 03:38 PM

Fred, You are always welcome to come join us anywhere we travel. I think Hannah has enough head room for you. I just realized I put a little more than 2007 in post. I get so damn excited and we consider everything from start of trip all the way to NZ one major section of the journey so hell it will be November 2008 when we get to NZ.
I'm going to work something out with Juro later in Spring where I can just send him a CD or an e-mail with up dates and some pics and a story or two. Flytalk will be our only public reporting as I have known everyone here for so long, not crazy about all the folks with websites that are sailing around the world. Sailing, surfing and flyfishing around the world is just not a rare thing anymore it is just a big deal for the family, a bit of a personal challenge. Time to get skinny and healthy again like in the old days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2007, 05:05 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Jez...Is October Caddis, aka Warren Buffet? I do a fair amount of island-hopping, but I'm drooling over the venues you have planned.

Have you thought about the fishery in northern Australia, specifically the Gulf of Carptentaria? I was there in April and believe it is one of the best in the world for longtails and spaniards.

Good on you!
Old 01-05-2007, 04:09 AM
CrystalNZ

Send a message via MSN to CrystalNZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredA
So Steve, we should expect periodic reports to be filed?

I guess I'll need to finagle a need to check on my NZ project in about a year.

Fred you need to be here now!
I have been learning fly fishing and been out only 4 times now but every morning and afternoon they are rising by the hundreds in my neck of the woods. Sure makes the heart flutter. I haven't picked up my spinner since I was introduced to fly fishing and lovin every minute of it!
I lucked up and got my first one on a fly this evening, too bad it got dark for my enthusiam waned. LOL

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v234/CrystalNZ/

http://kawekataxidermy.co.nz/
Old 01-08-2007, 12:08 PM

Jim,
No Warren Buffet here, been wanting to do this from the time I was 6 years old. Guess I have saved my pennies for a long time now. Austrailia is a long time away so have not done any plans for the second section of the trip. But we will be going through the Torres straits and hope to spend some time in Darwin before moving on. Austrailia has become so hard for people sailing to enter the country now that I wonder if it is even worth it. The hoops one must jump through make it not a fun place to visit.
I know fishing is great up in N. Austrailia from what I hear so I will be looking into it eventually. Thanks for the tips.

Crystal NZ,
What part on NZ you from? I spent 6 months fishing there way back in 1972. Wish you could have seen how good it was way back then I don't remember ever getting a trout under 3 pounds. And the Sea Run Browns on the NW coast of the South island at every river mouth were scary, BIG is all I can say.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:09 PM

Jim,
No Warren Buffet here, been wanting to do this from the time I was 6 years old. Guess I have saved my pennies for a long time now. Austrailia is a long time away so have not done any plans for the second section of the trip. But we will be going through the Torres straits and hope to spend some time in Darwin before moving on. Austrailia has become so hard for people sailing to enter the country now that I wonder if it is even worth it. The hoops one must jump through make it not a fun place to visit.
I know fishing is great up in N. Austrailia from what I hear so I will be looking into it eventually. Thanks for the tips.

Crystal NZ,
What part on NZ you from? I spent 6 months fishing there way back in 1972. Wish you could have seen how good it was way back then I don't remember ever getting a trout under 3 pounds. And the Sea Run Browns on the NW coast of the South island at every river mouth were scary, BIG is all I can say.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:30 AM
In moderation

Only thing definitely booked so far is first week of February on Andros.
I wanted to go to Alphonse Island in the Seychelles for the last opportunity before it closes but the tides are bad for most of the available slots (crucial at that location).
I will probably visit Los Roques and Cuba again before the summer.
In June I am planning to visit Cape Cod,
July will probably see me in Norway and August in Iceland or vice versa.
In September I will try and fish either Gaspé or the Miramichi.
After that I am not sure but probably another trip to Los Roques and/ or Cuba.

Pete
Old 01-09-2007, 02:40 PM

Pete,

Why is Alponse closing? Is that whole part of the world being taken away from us or what!

The British have destroyed the Chagos Archipelagos along with the help of the CIA and made it all most impossible to go there. As of two days ago to get your vessel into Chagos requires a $500 pass payed in advance. Also a charge per person that is very high. I'm a strong believer in laws to protect the enviroment and the native people but this is going too far. Besides the Brits had the gall to kick the native peoples of the Islands out long ago thru trickery and won't let them back.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:42 AM
In moderation

Hi October Caddis
The closure of Alphonse Island is because the Island Development company (Owners) have sold it to another organisation who intend to convert it into a super duper luxury resort. It will apparently reopen in 2008. There are talks about builing a fishing lodge on St. Francois at some time in the future.

In the long term it probably means that one of the most expensive locations will become even more expensive.

Pete
Old 01-10-2007, 12:47 PM
6th Year Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by October Caddis
Pete,

Why is Alponse closing? Is that whole part of the world being taken away from us or what!

The British have destroyed the Chagos Archipelagos along with the help of the CIA and made it all most impossible to go there. As of two days ago to get your vessel into Chagos requires a $500 pass payed in advance. Also a charge per person that is very high. I'm a strong believer in laws to protect the enviroment and the native people but this is going too far. Besides the Brits had the gall to kick the native peoples of the Islands out long ago thru trickery and won't let them back.
a Point of Order here :

actually, the UK Govt (through the High Court) ruled last May that islanders could return to any island in the archipelago, with the exception of Diego Garcia which is a US Military airbase on UK soil and leased to the United States until 2016.

The establishment of the airbase and the relocation of islanders was at specific the request of the US Government as they needed an indian Ocean base to monitor the Soviet Union in the Cold War.

So although we Brits may have acted appallingly since 1965, once again it was at the behest of our bigger brother
Old 01-11-2007, 10:26 AM

Guernseybass,

When our our brothers across the lake get it and not listen to us over here?

You got to stop letting us kick you around. I hope the locals find away to make a life back in thier homeland they sounded like truely wonderful people. Spy Island (AKA diego Garcia) is a just a place for us to make sure we keep control over a region of the world that don't want us there.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:57 AM
CrystalNZ

Send a message via MSN to CrystalNZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by October Caddis
Jim,

Crystal NZ,
I am located in Central Hawkes Bay region, East Coast North Island. D.O.C. has done a great job stocking the lakes and streams in this region and it is paying off with rainbows and brownies over 8 lbs in deep pool under the rapids.

We are going through somewhat of a dry spell at the moment so streams are low and clear as glass. We go out most every afternoon now that the mayfly hatch is on. 7pm they start to rise feeding, then with in the next hour to dark they are splashing loudly.

We have been going to the Wiapawa and Tuki Tuke river mostly (only 5minutes from our house)for everytime we go we see absolutely hundreds ranging in the 1-3 lb size.

In the Tuki it is so overstocked since catch and release is the norm, there aren't many people that are taking any out for eating.

Catch and release also has got them wary of humans so fishing is done by stalking for the big ones, which lie at the base of rapids and flustrating to see them and they won't bite anything presented to them. I call these educated fish LOL

When over this way give me a holler and my husband and myself will show you some good fishing just for fun

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v234/CrystalNZ/

http://kawekataxidermy.co.nz/
Old 01-12-2007, 05:28 PM

Christmas Island, late summer or early fall, so I can mess with Mr. GT
Old 01-13-2007, 09:55 AM

This year the Yucatan (south) Resort fishing.....and a Bahamian out Island...not sure which isalnd...but IT WONT BE ABACO !!!!
Old 01-14-2007, 01:05 AM

Are you kidding?I'm from SW florida.The fishing here in april is unreal.Last month to keep a snook.Not a ton of reds but it's just when the cobia are in full swing.
You picked a good month.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:12 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
Just back from Miami where I squeezed my first days fishing of the year in on the 2nd Jan. Mainly a family thing though so limited fishing.

Apart from the usual domestic fishing in southern England my plans so far are;

Weipa, Queensland Australia for three weeks in April.

Five days in Ireland in May

Ten days on the Cape in June

That's the first half of the year sorted, still need to think about the remainder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.