What did Santa bring you? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2006, 08:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
What did Santa bring you?

What fishing-related items did Santa bring you this year? I got a few things:

1. A Danvise fly tying vise from my wife. It was very, very badly needed, after 2 seasons of tying I was still using the cheapo one that came with my starter kit! So far I've tied a half dozen flies with it and I love it!

2. A new wood frame oval landing net. My wife gave me a relatively inexpensive one last year that I somehow lost without ever using it! My father-in-law gave me a Stevens rubber bag model this year. I can't find any info on them except it looks like they're made in Maine and they're pretty pricey. I've always wanted one of the rubber bag models, but I could never justify spending so much money on one. I only found one place that sells these nets online and they're $90 or so.

3. A huge novelty lure. Another present from my father-in-law, one of those 3 foot long lures they sell at Dicks for $50. It was funny because I gave him one too and said "It's one of those things every fisherman wants, but you'll never buy for yourself." On my way out the door on Sunday from his house my mother-in-law says "Close your eyes and stick out your arms."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2006, 05:57 AM
swmmn w/ bwlggd wmmn

HMH Spartan Pedestal vise
Old 12-27-2006, 06:38 AM

A very nice fly tying lamp....no more outdoor spotlight hanging from the rafters and burning my head :-) and some tying material :-)
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2006, 06:50 AM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

My bride bought me a combi rod-rack via Poppy at the redshed. Wait a sec,,,Poppy kinda resembles Santa sleeping in his chair ,,, you don't think it could be????? Naw,, couldn't be
Salmon Chaser
Old 12-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Fly chucker

I got a nice set of binoculars for the boat and a monocular for my kayak and wade fishing. I also got a gift certificate to the Kittery Trading Post and a set of thermal long underwear for cold weather fishing.

The optics are things that I specifically asked for, the others were given to me as original ideas from others. I'm happy with all of it.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Jonesin...

I got the new Mike Laptew DVD "Stripers Gone Wild." Excellent footage. If you are a striper hound I would say its a must have.

Sean
Old 12-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Middle Aged Member

I also got the Laptew dvd.

McCallum 15 year old Fine Oak to soak my fly's in.

Gift cert to Fishing the Cape.

Finally cashed in last years bearsden gift certs on a Baurer MSL5.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:16 AM
6th Year Apprentice

I got an 8 rod wooden rod rack from Cabelas from my wife - which was assembled and drilled to the wall by 9am xmas morning. first thing i said to Kris was that 'there's a few empty spaces there........."

also, from my family in the UK i got $130 of amazon.com vouchers which is pretty cool as through their associate companies i can buy all sorts of fly fishing stuff.

its gonna go on some new flying fisherman sunglasses, a Teeny TS-400 fly line and a okuma dry fly box.

Mark.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:56 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Gave myself an Olympus FE 180.

With a little effort I can now show & tell.

Happy new year!

Felton

PS: Trust I got it right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC220006 (WinCE).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	6195  
www.vrbo.com/261406
Forum Sponsor
Acklins! Only Heaven is better.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:38 AM

An assortment of tying thread & a Bottle of Glenfiddich to soak flys in
Old 12-29-2006, 06:45 AM
resigned

I gavemy good friend Peter, that is battling Parkinsons that some needed casting lessons. His line hand is not functioning well. I worked with him for three months. Showed him how to haul and he has improved. Found an anomynous gift under the tree. A Boga Grip. I suspect it came from Peter. Pete gave me use of his boat for a full day for the Fall Clave. The Boga Grip will come in handy if the blues continue to increase their numbers. Also got myself a new rod. Rivendell 10# brand new for $47.00. Nice rod for the money.

Phil
Old 12-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Flats Rat

Martin OM28 Marquis
Old 12-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Jonesin...

Camera

I also got the new Olympus Stylus 720 SW camera. Its 7.1mp, pocket sized, waterproof to ten feet and shockproof to 5 feet. So far the pictures look decent but haven't printed any yet. Should be great for keeping in the shirt pocket on the flats or on the boat and not having to worry about a splash or two without the bulk of the diving case.

Sean
Old 12-30-2006, 11:35 PM

I want to turn this around a bit:

What did you influence Santa to bring?

I have two daughters. Both of whom I love dearly, but both of whom have shown no interest in fishing, let alone fly fishing, since their early years.

I feel I need to pass a torch (or whatever). I have stashed closets full of tackle, that, though valuable, may never see the light of day as my interest in trout changed to interests in steelhead, salmon, and zippy salt water types.

When the son of a dear friend of mine suddenly evinced interest in fly fishing [abeit after passing the bar and thus ready to pursue the meaningful in life], I was touched when he came to me for basic introduction and instruction in fly casting and fly fishing [poor choice, but I was the only one he really knew].

So. How to honor and respect this interest. I have a Model Perfect from the Devonian -- agate line guide, ribbed foot, the whole nine yards. Trout size (3 and something).

I inherited it from a grand uncle who passed it on to me because I was the only one in his circle of family who fished. I've cherished it for more than 50 years, but it's time to pass it on.

So it goes to the new fly fisher on the block. With attributes and a lot of history.

Anybody out there in fly fish land had a similar epiphany or whatever?

Happy New Year! It is a very Merry Christmas,

Cheers,

Eric

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.