VT in March - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2006, 12:53 PM

VT in March

I'll be in VT in early March. Any suggestions on rivers or pools I may want to check out? I'll be way up north but the plan is to take my time coming back to Boston so if there are any rivers between Boston and Montreal that you think would be worth a look in early march let me know.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2006, 06:57 PM

I think that you may be limited in your choices then. If the weather becomes appropriate fof the season there will not be much open water. Also I believe the opening day for VT is April 1. There may be some all year waters; but I'm not able to say where.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Like John said, it really depends on the weather. If the "winter" stays like this, then you should be fine to fish any number of rivers in March.

As for opening day, as far as I know in VT there's no law against fishing in the off season. You just can't keep anything.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:35 AM

Get yourself to Conn. and fish the Farmington River it is one of the best year round streams in NE. It's about 2 hr drive from Boston. The Swift in Belchertown , MA would be another choice. FishHawk
Old 12-27-2006, 10:40 AM

Opening Day in Vermont is the second Saturday in April. There are several waters which are open year round, primarily Lake Champlain and CT River tribs. You;d be better off to go ski Bear Mountain in the sun in early March. The White River from the Route 107 Bridge to the CT is open year 'round, C&R from November 1 through 2nd Sat. in April. Otter Creek in the western part of the State is open in spots, but tough to fish. Lewis Creek In Ferrisburgh is open from the mill falls down to Champlain and has a small steelhead run, depending on weather there may be fish around ( off US Route between Burlington and Middlebury). The Battenkill, just over the NY line is open year 'round, FFO, C&R and may be fishable, but early March is usually real winter- generally the snowiest time of year. Good time to jig for smelt on the Lake.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:19 AM

The Willowhby, Black and Clyde Rivers may be worth looking into. Good rainbow and landlock runs are found there. You may be there before "Opening Day" so check that out first.

Millerbrown

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.