Thinking about getting my son started - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 06:34 PM

Thinking about getting my son started

Hi all,
My lad keeps saying he wanys to try fly fishing, so I said after christmas I will take him.
For the first couple of trips out I think I will cast myself and have him bring it back in. Then maybe(if he still likes it) buy a starter kit for him.
I have got a few questions to ask; What size rod should I get (weight and lenght), and what line, float or sink, weight forward??????

About the size of my lad, He's 7 and is a bit on the smaller size( like his dad) but he is quite strong. Anybody got any idea's and maybe the perfect rod set up? I don't want to spend to much, just in case he goe's of the idea.
Thanks a lot,
regards,
Carl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2006, 04:16 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

It's an opportunity worth capturing while you have the chance, and at age 7 anything in a 4wt to 6wt range will do as long as the experience is memorable. I took my son for bream (sunfish) at first. My daughter also enjoyed it (once)

Use a small de-barbed fly, preferably a small popper. I prefer a location with comfortable shore access, like a beach during the offhours where the casting is easy and the fish are visible.

The commotion may attract a bass or pike, which introduces the concept of big game into it, something to exploit at a later date. You won't hook one with the popper (most likely) but the predator may come in and chase the bream around which leaves an impression.

I wouldn't worry too much about the brand name or long term durability. Important thing is that it feels comfortable (4-5wt no more than 6wt) and that you take him to an easy, safe and interesting spot.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-23-2006, 07:37 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Carl
There's a superb book written a few years ago by someone I knew, Phil Genova, who tragically died at an early age: First Cast: Teaching Kids to Fly Fish. Phil set up a superb program to teach kids fly fishing — and established the Community Fly Fishers, which was part of the Cornell Cooperative Extension program in Ithaca, NY. Later, he worked for Cortland Line where he set up and managed their PR and educational programs. His teaching program was also picked up by Trout Unlimited. Great first book.
Bill
Old 12-24-2006, 09:40 AM

Ah great guys,
thanks for the replies, on Christmas eve. I will have a look around for a little rod and do a search for the book.
thanks to you both,
have a great christmas,
cheers,
Carl
Old 12-24-2006, 09:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
You didn't mention what species you'll be fishing for, or how big a body of water.

If it's bass, I'd recommend an 8 ft 6 wt rod for him. For trout, I'd go down to an 5 wt for medium to large sized streams/rivers, or a 4 wt for smaller streams.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:24 AM

Hi,
I think I will try him on a smaller lake, for trout, first couple of trips out, so he can see if he's going to like it and have ago casting. We will be fishing around the Birmingham area of England, for Trout, then maybe if he sticks to it, we will try river fishing for trout and maybe pike?
I don't know if anybody can recommend a good starter rod and kit and some places to get it from? Will try other places outside of England, so any idea's will be great.
Many thanks,
gibbos1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.