Singles or Doubles? - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Singles or Doubles?

I am sure that many most of us are busy tying our favorite assortments around this time. For me, one of the great pleasures of this sport occurs at the tying bench. With all our exotic materials which we collected over the past half century laying in front of us......which hook should we ty our favorite pattern on......a single or double.

For some reason, most of my fishing has been with singles. But for some reason, I prefer now to fish doubles. I just have more confidence in the way they look, and the way "I think" they would ride in the water. With the extra wieght acting as a keel, I "assume" that the fly presents better.

And for some reason, even with the logic of one hook working as a pivot against the other, I think your chances of a "good" hookup is better.

So besides a few tubes and some low water paterns tied on light wire single hooks in a few sizes, I would think a good assortment of wets can be tyed with double 4s, 6s. 8s, and 10s for most wet fly Gaspe fishing.

I'm looking for some feedback. As I said, some of the value of this sport is sitting at the bench.
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2006, 04:11 AM

Interesting point(s), in Scotland and the rest of Europe trebles were commonly used but as C&R became more acceptable doubles have become more popular.
I know a few good anglers that now just use singles so as you migrate one way they the other.

Hooking is one of the few things an angler can have no control over it is the salmon who decides on the hook hold and we all know how fickle they can be.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Venture

Malcolm. On your rivers, what hooks do usually prefer? Trebles don't interest me at all. I think most on this side of the pond think the same. They don't have that classic sillouette that makes salmon flies unique. Good hook-ups are really not the issue as a good hookup is up to "the Gods", however it would seem that three points would increase your chances.

While tying, I sometimes visualize a fresh pool, and think "what fly would I pick". If it's early season with a good head of water, would I pick a fly tyed on a #4 single or a #6 double. It's gonna be that smaller double. If it were mid levels would I want to fish a #8 single or a #10 double. Definately I'd pick that favorite pattern on the little double.

I've released many fish from doubles and cannot recall them causing any more trauma to the fish as 95% of the fish are hooked in the lips or outer mouth. A deeply hooked fish is in trouble either way and thankfully these are rare.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:46 AM

I've almost exclusively used singles but I've had a few hook sets that were just downright hard to get out of the fish. I went to the Loop doubles, #4/6 and smaller, on my tubes last year and was quite happy. Both fish I landed on them I had complete control over and when we tailed them the hook just fell out. I didn't have to wrestle the hook out of the scissors at all.

I like the Loop doubles because they have a bit of a bend back to them which I think minimizes the risk of getting them deep and the shank is pretty short. My non-tube flies are all still singles with the exception of the #8's and below.

-Chris
Old 12-21-2006, 08:20 AM

Singles or Doubles

Hi Venture,

If you go to Newfoundland to fish you better make sure you only take singles and make sure your barbs are pinched.
http://eurekaoutdoors.nf.ca/fishing/fregulations.htm
My personal opinion is singles and barbless. I used to fish some doubles and found I actually lost more fish then I did with singles. I always found the 2 points actually worked against each other.
On Prince Edward Island after the trout season closes you are only alowed to use barbless hooks. Since I started fishing barbless after the trout season I decided to continue it year round. As far as loosing fish due to barbless I might have lost a few but it would be minimal, but who cares if you loose a fish when you are about to release it anyway. Also when your fishing by yourself it makes it pretty easy to get a hook out when you have one hand on the tail and the other trying to get a hook out.

Alan (salmonguy)
Old 12-21-2006, 08:48 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
I fish them both, but prefer doubles most of the time . . . where they're legal, of course. I do think the flies ride better. Depending on the season and water I'll use them anywhere from 1/0s to 12s, heavy wire to light wire. I especially like the small doubles. I find no problems with both hooking and extracting doubles.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:14 AM

I fish mainly in Quebec in the early weeks of the season. If the water is even reasonably high it almost requires a double hook as most singles tend to rooster tail in the strong current. We commonly use hooks as large as a 2/0 standard wire double Partridge. A small hook that time of year would be a #4 standard wire double (in high water.) I also use Loop doubles and virtually never lose a fish with either of them. When I head to the Miramichi later in the season I'll usually use single hook flies there, except I use the Loop double tube hooks on my tube flies.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture
Malcolm. On your rivers, what hooks do usually prefer? .
Early in the season I predominately fish tubes with either a Partridge Double or a Loop double depending on the size required, I think the Loop doubles are neater in the small sizes.

As the season progesses and water levels fall I use doubles or singles almost as the mood takes me.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 12-21-2006, 06:02 PM

Tying in the tag is a whole lot easier on a double too!
Old 12-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

About as fair as i can make it!!!

Always a single with a pinched barb,, always. At 37,,, I am starting to shy away from the lads who leave their barbs on,,, nuff said.
Salmon Chaser
Old 12-23-2006, 03:07 AM

Loop doubles

anyone know of a North American source for the Loop doubles for tubes?
thanks
Old 12-23-2006, 07:23 AM
Venture

Never heard of Loop prior to this thread. Looked it up and saw it was a short shank double. Perhaps great for doubles. I assume that the fly ties on these style hooks are more or less a streamer style, with wing and throat extending way past the bend. Need some confirmation on this........

But I also wanted to bring up the price differences on many brand hooks as compared to the old USA Mustad. On the J Stockard site, a box of 50 mustad doubles costs $11.35USD for sizes #2 through #8, while Partridge, Tiemco, Wilson, etc cost at least $11.00 for a pack of TEN hooks. Thats five times the cost. I've been using Mustad doubles for years. I check the points before each ty, and touch them with a little hook file I keep at the bench because they are not chemically sharpened. That may be the only difference. But after a few strokes with a fine file, the hooks are sticky. I then start tying.

So whats the deal with these expensive hooks versus the ole Mustad? I mean five times the cost is something to think about!!! We are only hooking fish that weigh under 40 pounds on a relatively soft rod. Has anyone ever straighten out a #6 single or double causing a lost fish? Perhaps, but surely a rare uccurance. I never had a salmon straighten my hooks, not even fishing three seasons on the Kharlofka late June. Pretty strong water with pretty big fish. Sometimes I bent a hook while removing it quickly for release, but that is rare too.

I wonder if those expensive hooks hold up to those little rocks on the shore that bust my points off on every now and again. If they do, perhaps then only would they be worth more.......
Old 12-23-2006, 08:25 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
I know Loop doubles for tube flies are available from Michael and Young and Stone River Outfitters (formerly Hunters). Yes, they're very expensive, but they're also beautifully shaped with small, straight eyes and extremely sharp with nice tiny barbs. They are absolutely the best for small (10 and 12) tube flies waked in the surface, but I use them in all sizes. Their fish-holding properties are second to none. They are the shortest tube fly doubles available. They have a black nickel finish . . . Mustad makes them exclusively for Loop. Superb hooks I just wish they weren't so expensive.
Bill
Old 12-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Venture

Bill, Perhaps Loop is so expensive because their mark-up on their "buy from Mustad, and sell to distibuter, is so high.

If its anything like the expensive "Loop" fly reel of the past, that reel is now being distributed directly from the factory where Loop bought it from. It's now half the price and the exact same reel.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture

If its anything like the expensive "Loop" fly reel of the past, that reel is now being distributed directly from the factory where Loop bought it from. It's now half the price and the exact same reel.
A bit hard on Loop as they have paid for all the R&D, marketing, etc, etc the producer is now just selling the reels on the back of Loop's work.

www.speygillie.co.uk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.