Alberta Newb - Fly Fishing Forum
Member Profiles Introduce yourself!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Pheasant Hunter

Send a message via MSN to RyanGSP
Alberta Newb

Hi everyone,

Ryan from Alberta here. I am new to the Fly-fishing world only having done it 2 or 3 times over the past 2 years. I have caught a 15" Rainbow out of the Castle River on my Fly Rod. It is not a top of the line rod it is a hand me down from a cousin who bought it and never used it.

I am big into Upland and Waterfolw hunting. I hunt over a 1 year old German Shorthaired Pointer and a 6 year old Irish Setter. My true passion lies in hunting but I always got bored in the off season. Fishing for pike is fun but I really wanted somthing more challenging. Fly-Fishing n creeks and rivers for Trout was it.

I am looking at buying a Sage VT2 5wt 9 foot 4 piece with a Lamson Velocity Open Frame Fly Reel

Looking forward to getting back into the stream chasing trout come spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 06:05 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That's a stoic pose.

We hear of the incredible trout fishing from member Frenchcreek who also hails from Alberta. If you get a chance to fish with him he's quite the accomplished angler.

welcome
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-11-2006, 01:02 PM

Hi Ryan,
I'm also in Alberta, Calgary to be exact. Had a great upland season with some Brittany's after a great season on the Bow. Now it's flytying time until the next chinook comes in. Send me a PM and we can exchange contact info.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Pheasant Hunter

Send a message via MSN to RyanGSP
Thanks juro. I had that picture framed here at home.

French Creek we have had a great season here too. It did my GSP a ton of good and is ready for the FD test scince he was 10 months.

PM sent.

Where is the best place to buy Fly rods? I have looked at a few stores a year or 2 back but only came home with some flys got some smoking deals on.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:12 PM

Ryan, I sent you a few PM's
As far as where to buy, my best suggestion is to look at the Fly Shops in Calgary, assuming that you are close to town? I would stay away from the "Sporting goods stores" just because you are more likely to get the best advice from a dedicated fly fishing shop and the best follow up service if ever that is needed. Shop around and listen to their advice as well as their pricing. The other piece of advice i would offer, since you say that you are new to FFishing, is to choose a rod with a softer (AKA slower) rod Vs. a stiffer (AKA faster) rod. This will greatly help in your learning curve since the softer are more forgiving of small mistakes we make when we start casting flies. They are not necessarily less expensive or cheaper rods, just a different in design and construction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.