Opinions on Bass Rods Needed - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2006, 08:40 AM

Opinions on Bass Rods Needed

I need help picking out a new fly rod for bass. It will mainly be for smallmouth in the river(Shenandoah). I like the Orvis Zero Gravity rods, but not sure on what weight to purchase. I can't decide between 6,7, or 8 wt. I dont want to over or under do it. Please give some input on the Zero Gravity in these weights and other similar rods.
Thanks for the help,
-Nick Good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 10:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
A 6 weight will suit you fine. Anything larger will overpower the fish IMHO. I don't have any input on the Zero Gravity, never cast one!
Old 12-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Fly chucker

A seven weight rod is ideal for a river of that size, considering the fact that you will often be throwing weighted flies and sinking lines. Eight would be a bit much, and six wouldn't handle the casting of the flies and lines as well as the seven. Plus a seven still lets the decent smallies show their stuff off.

Have fun.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:53 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
I second the seven weight.....
The extra little bit of muscle in a seven weight only makes the experience more enjoyable, especially when throwing heavier crayfish or wind resistent poppers.
Have fun; theres nothing on earth like a smally in current...
Old 12-19-2006, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the help. I think i will go with the 7 weight.
-Nick Good
Old 12-22-2006, 07:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to baldmountain
Just to be contrary I'd consider a 4 wt. You will have to slow things down if you are throwing big flies and you aren't going to be able to throw them as far. But bass on a 4 wt is a blast! And if the bass aren't biting you won't feel silly casting a 7 wt for panfish.

http://www.nfaa-archery.org <-----<< My other passion.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Fly chucker

I don't doubt the utility of a lighter rod for small streams and rivers, but the poster is inquiring about the Shanendoah, which is wide and deep and will require scouring with sinking lines and weighted flies. Had the question not been about this particular river and just asking in general, I'd have recommended a lighter weight rod.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:45 PM

I already have a 3 and 5 weight for trout. I was interested in a heavier weight for smallies. I live 5 minutes from the river, and go there so often i am looking at the higher end rods like the zero g's. I wanted to get an opinion on the weight since i wasnt quite sure.
Thanks,
-nick good
Old 12-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I agree with the 7wt recommendation as well. I've explored warmwater bass on the fly years ago and found that for my preferences anything lighter would be a compromise.

Smallmouth on northern lakes like Winnepesaukee in NH frequently exceeded 3 lbs and occasionally pushed 5. A rare encounter with bass approaching double digits would surprise us. There was plenty of battle with a 7wt and the 5 pound fish could be fun even on a 9wt.

Largemouth would commonly exceed 18" even in the slower growing climates where I fished mostly for freshwater bass on the fly. Some lakes harbor larger numbers of smaller bass but the size and wind-resistance of flies, thick weed situations and the need to put the wood to a bass to keep it out of the stumps called for at least a 7wt in my experiences.

They used to make a "bass bug taper" that was great for throwing hair mouse patterns and poppers. Not sure if they still make it but a concentration of grains in a shorter head was my favorite line style for this type of fishing.

I've since become more focused on saltwater species and anadramous species (salmon, steelhead) but now that the topic has come up I really miss the spring smallmouth fishery and vow to get back up there soon.

Come to think of it, the best advice is to match your situation. If you are fishing Lake Okeechobee I'd go with an 8 or 9wt. If you are fishing Great Lakes smallmouth, a 7wt or 8wt.

Farm ponds and local watering holes, a 6wt or lighter would probably do the trick provided the fish rarely exceed 18"-20".
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-23-2006, 09:17 AM

Scientific Anglers still has a bass bug taper, at least in their Mastery series. It's the best I've used for that type of fishing. If I'm using clousers or something like that with a floating line I prefer the Rio Bass taper, which uses its clouser taper on its bass line. I think SA has messed up some of their lines the last few years (the new Bonefish and Tarpon taper lines are one example) but their Bass and Muskie/Pike are still top notch.

I choose which line weight I'm going to use more on the style and size of fly I'm going to throw than with the size of the fish I expect to catch. Years ago on FAOL, in a thread similar to this, I guy claimed he fished for largemouths that reached as high as 6-8 pounds, in the wood and thick weeds, using a 1/0 deerhair "bug, using a FOUR weight rod. Anyone ever try to cast a 1/0 anything with a 4 weight, let along a deerhair bug? If you're smallie fishing and using trout type nymphs there's no reason you can't use a 4, though I think a 5 makes more sense. But trying to cast big foam or deerhair bugs with a 4 or a 5 will make for a long day. I find it less tiring by a long shot to use a 7 for those types of flies.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:15 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
I spent an hour casting a zero gravity alongside a two-hundred dollar fly rod last winter, and honestly can't tell you that the zero gravity was any better, although it was five-hundred dollars more expensive.

I am thinking that the name, " Zero Gravity," is based on the weight of your wallet when you leave the Orvis store.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:35 PM

This year I have used a 7wt for bass fishing quite a bit and think it's a good size but I guess it really depends on what you are throwing for flies too. A lot of guys go to 8wts for LMB because they are throwing big bass bugs etc. My preference for smallies was a 7wt but I will also qualify it as its a 7wt Fenwick Glass rod. The smallies always threw the hook on my graphite rod and this year I started using an old Fenwick glass rod and have not lost a fish due to a thrown hook. Plus it doesn't hurt that the rod cost me all of $60 bucks. The line I have been using is the Sci Angler Mastery Headstart. This line is geared to the newbie caster but it has a bass like WF taper and is only $40.00 as opposed to 60 for regular Mastery. Casts great! The only drawback is it is a little shorter but I have never even noticed. The bright green makes it easy to follow in the air too

Caught a lot of SMB on Dick Empie's Goldie fly this year too. I think there is a photo on the bill's bodi braid website. Easy tie and catches everything from trout to bass to bluegills.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to baldmountain
See this guy's website. He talks about catching 5 pound smallies on a 0 weight rod and fishing for bass wih rods down to 000 weight...

byrdultrafly(dot)com/ultramain.htm

http://www.nfaa-archery.org <-----<< My other passion.

Last edited by juro; 12-24-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:14 AM

Baldy,

I couldn't get that URL to work. And yes I know what to do with the (dot) Proofread what you typed for us to make sure there's no mistake. I'd love to see this one.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I hope the lakes he does this in are well-oxygenated for the fish's sake!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.