Travel Recommendations - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:26 AM

Travel Recommendations

Greetings. I'm retiring the end of January and my wife and I plan to take a trip. I'd like to mix the trip -- I get to do wome flyfishing -- she gets to lay around, shop, spa that kind of thing. Can anyone recommend a spot that's good for us and non flyfishing wife? I love to flyfish period -- bone, tarpon, bass, bluegill, trout, steelies, you name it.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 07:38 AM
swmmn w/ bwlggd wmmn

not that I've been there, but people have recommended grand bahama as a place for your situation.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:36 AM

Location: Gaspe Peninsual, Petite and Grand Cascapedia, Bonaventure, Nouvelle etc...
Jfastien,

Heading south might be nice, Bahama's, Yucatan, Cuba, etc... however, if you are looking for something that is really cool, you may just want to think about a trip to Slovenia this spring or summer. I went there about 5-years ago on a trip with 8 other guys and fell in love with the country. Although we were a bunch of guys on a trip together, we did not fish the entire time. We spent a lot of time sight seeing, eating in superb resaurants and visiting various cultural sights.

The fishing was super as were the other activities. We all kept on saying it would be the perfect "couples" trip due to the number of activities for non-anglers.

The people were what made the trip! I could not believe how well organized everything was and how helpful our hosts were. The food was incredible, the places we stayed were charming and very comfortable, and the proximity to Italy, Austria etc.. by train kept me thinking just how many more things we could have done.

If you want to explore this idea a bit more, shoot me a private message and i will put you in touch with the right people. I am sure that it would be a very memorable trip for the both of you.

Best,

David
Old 12-19-2006, 10:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
If you want the ultimate in relaxation, you should check out Tiamo Resort. It's not cheap but there's bonefish flats right in front of your room and the food is incredible. A few days there along with some time somewhere else in the Caribbean would be pure heaven!
Old 12-19-2006, 12:41 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
"I get to do wome flyfishing -- she gets to lay around, shop, spa that kind of thing. Can anyone recommend a spot that's good for us and non flyfishing wife?"

I would say Grand Bahama also. Great bonefishing, and lots to do for the non-angler spouse.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:09 PM

El Pescador in Belize would be a good spot too. Lot's of resorts, walk up and down the beach, visit San Pedro, Myan Ruins...lots to do. Weather should be a little warmer down there than the Bahamas in Jan.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:56 PM

a bit different

Want something special? I spent 10 days on a boat goni round the maldives. amazing. Wonderful fishin g for everythnig, and you don't get stuck on a tourist island, but see the real palce. i fished morning, swam and lunchtime, we moved and fished in ther afternoon, swam late afternoon, fished and relaxed. Food was great, and boat was air-conditionwed, whioch is pretty important as it gets hot, hot, hot. Did it on a boat called blue horizon, which wasn't perfect for trolling but was fine for casting a fly, though you can wade on the flats and fish for allsorts, from GTs to shark, Plenty of tuna on the edge of the reefs and you'll never see another angler. Knockout, and your wife will approve.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:58 PM

a bit different

Want something special? I spent 10 days staying on a boat just ambling round the Maldives. Amazing. Wonderful fishing for everything, and you don't get stuck on a tourist island, but see the real place. I fished morning, swam at lunchtime, we moved and fished in ther afternoon, swam late afternoon, fished and relaxed. Food was great, and boat was air-conditioned, which is pretty important as it gets hot, hot, hot. Did it on a 50ft boat called Blue Horizon, which wasn't perfect for trolling but was fine for casting a fly, though you can wade on the flats and fish for allsorts, from GTs to shark, Plenty of tuna on the edge of the reefs and you'll never see another angler. Knockout, and your wife will approve.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:56 AM

Seychelles. Stay at the Ritz. Who's wife wouldn't love that?
Old 12-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Provo T&C might do it, you can wander off before a lazy breakfast and find some bones while she sleeps in at Sandals. Go out dancing and drinks, but switch to water yourself after you a couple shots. That will help you jump out of bed at the buzz of the first hummingbird at the window and you can make up the 'extra shots' on the flats in the morning. But don't take my word on that one, I always took my shots at the bar and missed them in the morning.

Or virtually any Virgin Islands / West Indies location with accesible lagoon structures will have fair, good or even mind-boggling "baby" tarpon action. Doesn't take long to jump several of these 20-60 pound "babies" and be back in time for breakfast on the patio. I speak from experience on that one.

Although I am still waiting to explore this, I have a hunch that Puerto Rico (US) is such a place. Culebra and the west end seem like a mix of resort and a heavy uneducated tarpon population. More on that soon.

Depending on budget, the Four Seasons on Exuma would put her in luxury while you get down to some serious bonefish action with local guides that time of year. I've been to Exuma with Eddie and there are certainly lots of bones there and some big ones too. I lost one in the teens, largest I have ever hooked. Eventually broke off.

Grand Bahama does seem to be a place with a good mix as people often say... I haven't been there myself.

Cabo seems like a good mix, but my take is that the best fishing will require some expedition grade planning. I like that but it's not for everyone.

The Keys is nice, plenty of guides and although prone to cold spells might not be too bad that time of year.

In any case congratulations and good luck.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-23-2006, 06:59 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks to all to responded -- some excellent recommendations.
Thanks again
Old 12-23-2006, 07:03 AM

Scott -- that's a grat recommendation -- thanks
Old 12-24-2006, 06:21 AM

Well, I'ver been to all the places mentioned above, and would have to say that , for a wife-pleasing trip, Slovenia would win hands down.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfasiten
Scott -- that's a grat recommendation -- thanks
Glad to help!

If you end up going there, let me know and I can give you more information on where exactly to target bonefish.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:56 AM

Scott
you might consider Stafford Creek Lodge, Andros. The owner, Prescott Smith is a wonderful guide and teacher. It's not cheap and really not a place for signifiant others but it's bonefish paradise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.