New Gaspe Outfitter? - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2006, 07:07 PM

New Gaspe Outfitter?

I was making preparations for Gaspe 2007 and started to hear some things in the wind, so to speak, that led me to believe there may be a new outfitter in Gaspe for 2007. Has anyone heard anything about who or what this might be or if this is even true? If so, are they in Gaspe proper or farther out.

Mostly I'm a do-it-yourselfer but I usually take a few lodged days to stay clean and fed. I was thinking of spending more time in Gaspe this year, what is the status of all the outfitters there anyway? Who is taking bookings this year for lodging, food, and guiding? Any dropouts I guess is what I'm asking?

-Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 09:43 PM

Location: Gaspe Peninsual, Petite and Grand Cascapedia, Bonaventure, Nouvelle etc...
Chris,

Even if I'm now out of the business of outfitting, I do keep abreast of what is going on here - and from what I know - Quebec Sporting is the newest Outfitter in the town of Gaspe. I am sure Anne will continue to do a great job for visiting anglers next year.

As for 'drop-outs' there are none to my knowledge. I know that Malbaie River Outfitters was rumoured to be shutting its doors, however, I am very sure that this is false. As a matter of fact, from what I hear, Bill seems to have come up with some great water for next year even if he did not participate in the draws on the Gaspe rivers this year. Other rumours are flying around, as they always do, however, I guess we will all just have to sit back and see how everything unfolds.

In our area, the Baie des Chaleurs, things are the same as in the past both Camp Bonaventure and Gaspe Salmon Destinations will continue to offer and deliver great trips to their guests as they always have. The river managers seem to be pretty happy about fish counts last year and the prospects for another good season in 2007. All in all, status-quo.

After such a conterversial spring, summer and early fall, I am glad to see that the dust has settled for the time being, however, I am sure that like each spring, the hight waters will not only bring bright fish to our area but a lot to discuss as well.

Have a great winter,

Dave
Old 12-11-2006, 11:37 PM

Chris
You heard right , there IS a new Outfitter on the Gaspe Peninsula for '07.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:12 PM

enquiring MINDS

Wilson.Why ask ? Do it yourselfer ? NOT !
Gaspe Salmon. Are you sure ? NOT !
Salar-1 .Where ?When ? Who? complete post ? NOT
Old 12-15-2006, 07:16 PM

Charming. Very polite. I love your prose so much I read it twice. Absolutely thought provoking. Makes me think. Oh, you're getting such a rise out of me I must reply...

Complete post what? GaspeSalmon sure of what?

So, you're calling BS on me? Must mean that we know each other well enough to have shared experiences? I think I'll just call BS right back at'cha buddy.

I distinctly recall going to Gaspe, stopping at some office on some river, getting a license, going fishing, and catching and releasing some salmon before I ever met any Gaspe outfitter. Oddly enough, with nobody else around.

And yes, I do stay in lodges in the area which was the source of my query.

-Chris
Old 12-16-2006, 11:00 AM

Location: Gaspe Peninsual, Petite and Grand Cascapedia, Bonaventure, Nouvelle etc...
Sun Ztu,

What the - - - NOT???

Wish I had your writing skills. NOT!

Listen Bud, and listen good, a question was asked, a response was posted to try to respond to the question. New outfitter on the Gaspe, I think it is Anne Smith. as far as I know that is the new outfitter... As for rumours of outfitters closing...to my knowledge there are no businesses closing down for next season. And those that were operating in the past are still on track for next year.

You have doubts? You know more than the locals here? If so, then be my guest and enlighten us all and bring forth your years of experience and wisdom.

C'mon pal, show us the way to the light!

Why would you even care? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 12-16-2006, 12:36 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Hello all,

Guess I will reply to some;
Yes, I did obtain an Outfitter License (Late July 2006).
I guess you are talking about me, I have not heard of an other new Outfitter in this area.

As for the proposed rods on the Gaspé (town of Gaspé) rivers that were to be secured by a certain Outfitter until 2010.
The Gaspé Zec confirmed to me, the deal was canceled. Thus, no secured rods. The deal is OFF. This was confirmed to me this week.

Gaspé Bay is not frozen yet, loaded with Canada Geese!!
I'll beat them to Florida!!

Happy Holidays to All,

Ann

Last edited by QuebecSporting; 12-17-2006 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:25 PM

Ann, congratulations on the license, apoligies on the deal.

Mr. Sun-Ztu, get a dictionary or stop doing your reading in the grocery line. It's "an inquiring mind".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inquiring

I have another fancy word for you if you can get past NOT in the dictionary.

P-H-I-L-I-S-T-I-N-E

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/philistine

Out with it or back to Lizard Creek with you.

-Chris
Old 12-17-2006, 10:26 AM

Hey Sonny Sue
Where ? La Ville de Gaspe
When? dis summer or spring
Who? I think it WAS answered (?)
You shoulda added Why ?
When because a QUALITY OWNED BY QUEBEOIS(SE) was definatley needed
Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 AM

Ann
Cool about the Canada Geese !!!! We've got three Snowy Owls at the airport pigging out on mice etc. !!! Lakes north of here AND the Mastapedia Valley are STILL not frozen over !!
Cheers
Old 12-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ann,

That's fantastic news since I can't wait to come back to Gaspe in 2007 ( a definite).

Anyone up for a Gaspe clave? Small (but intense) group under Ann's care in June? I'd prefer to car pool from Boston area if possible.

Canadian salmon at it's finest!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-17-2006, 11:42 AM

I have to drop a son off in (Maine) camp on 6/27 and plan to keep going North. I'm in if those dates would work.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:22 PM

Gaspe Clave

Juro,

Wilson and I are in the process of trying to put together a clave here in the Cascapedia area for 2007. Nothing huge, just a lot of good people getting together and having fun together.

Will keep you posted. We are also open to suggestions and help in organizing this.

Anne, I am really happy for you and know that you will continue to to a great job.

I must say that ALL the outfitters on the Gaspe Peninsula do a great job offering good fishing to their clients and I hope that the future will be a bit more harmonious for everyone. After all, we all share the same passion!

Deals, no deals, and what the future holds is secondary to the REAL issue, SAVING OUR SALMON!!!

Why don't we all take the same New Years resolution together. CATCH AND RELEASE ALL FISH, big and small!

Have a great winter everyone,

David
Old 12-17-2006, 12:56 PM

Sounds like a plan !!!

Juro
If ya Thinking about early June and connecting with "the usual suspects" I'm DEFINATELY in :-). I'll even do some (low cal) culinary duties !
Cheers
Old 12-18-2006, 06:34 AM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

i would love to attend and would be happy to bring some gear to play with. if it is just a loose confederacy so be it (lets play), if it gets serious you probably have your first sponsor on board. Charlie- any interest in putting something together? i have no interest or contacts for that matter as far as orginizing goes but would love to be a part of it and see some of that peninsula.

Ann congrats on the license and much success in the future!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.