Fly Fishing Forum banner

Yucatan Winds/Time of year question

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Bob Bergquist 
#1 ·
I usually do 2 trips a year. One in the Bahamas (sometimes 2) and one on the Yucatan (Resort stuff, to satisfy the wife). Question: I have always had strong easterly winds while fishing from the beach...it was ok and productive in the early mornings...a few bones and other assorted suprise fish...but it was over by 10AM due to wind......Is there a time of year when the easterly winds are minimal ?
Been blown out, for the most aprt last 2 trips to Abaco....and need to do a little less expensive all inclusive resort fishing....any input appreciated.

#3 ·
Mark, I agree with Bob on the winds. Later Spring (April thru June) is usually calmer and warmer than January thru March, but it can blow anytime. The fall months that Bob mentioned are very nice, and usually less crowded.
E-mail me for more info on all inclusive trips to Eleuthera--it's a great place to take your wife. Similar to the Abacos, but a little farther south, and a little more laid back. (just a little)

#4 ·
I'll agree with Vince! Eleuthera is a great place for the wife and the husband, it's where my wife got her first bonefish and has been hooked since! We have fished it from Spanish Wells to Princess Cay and have done well every time. Even hooked a big tarpon in a blue hole we waded up to one time, and we have caught two permit around Royal Island.

Very nice resturants, nice places to stay but not over done like Abaco or Exuma (now). Some of the obvious flats there get pounded, but there are many that rarely are fished if you know where they are...

Many of the better spots are on the east side, so the east winds are not much of a problem. We have been grounded by some nasty cold fronts though!

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.