Fly Fishing Forum banner

North of Miami

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jamie 
#1 ·
Was supposed to be heading down to Sydney to catch the cricket with lots of fishing sandwiched in with Matt at the beginning of January. Booked the flight and everything. Suddenly my plans have to change on Wednesday and it looks like my first trip State side next year will not be the Cape but Hollywood, just north of Miami.

I'll be there for ten days from the 1st Jan; anyone got any intel on the fishing?

#2 ·
I've always headed south (keys) however did fish Ft.Lauderdale once from a charter boat. In Jan. there were mahi mahi, bonito, sailfish, and giant cuda on the wrecks just offshore. These guys would entertain teasing up fish on the bait and switch and the 'dolphin' fishing near floating debris can be good.

Saw a lot of cuda close to shore walking around. The canals on the intercoastal waterway hold snook and baby tarpon, the area also produces wahoo, cobia, spanish macs, snapper, etc.

There are a bunch of bait shops and marinas even some boat rentals.

It sounds like you are there on business, if it were me I would focus on accomodating shorelines for jacks, bones, etc. and early mornings in the canals for snook and small tarpon.

Sean Ransom has some direct experience in that area and might be able to help.

#3 ·
Winter is prime time for sailfish just off the coast, but that's largely a live bait fishery. I've fished with Bouncer Smith (captbouncer)out of North Miami - an excellent guide but he treats fly-gear as an oppoirtunistic sideline. One fly-only guide I've used is Scott Hamilton (flyfishingextremes) in West palm. You'll have a good day on the water with either.

If fishing by yourself, try the John Lloyd state park in Dania. Go to the fishing pier at the base of the park at first light and fish the beach. I've got jacks to 5 lbs, and ladyfish, but there are also pompano. First light is the key. Walk fromn the pier up towards the park as far as you can. 8 or 9 wt rod should do with an intermediate line.
Once the park opens, go up towards Point everglades inlet. You can fishhe inlet from the jetty, but I've done better on the inside part (intracoastal waterway). There are plenty of access points.

Justy south of John Lloyd park, you'll find west lake park. Here you can rent a canoe and paddle among the mangroves, witgh good numbers of sm all snook, jacks, snappers and the like. The park is surprisingly uncrowded given its' location, and you will likley have a good time casting to the mangroves.

Another option is to go to the 16th street marina in Ft Lauderdale and rent a skiff. It's a bit pricy, but I did this once and (on a tip) found tarpon stacked in tghe outflow channel of the power plant (You can't miss the power plant in Ft. lauderdale.) It was a fish on every cast until I lost (broke) all three fly lines I had with me. Do this on a chilly evening, preferably during a cold snap.

Finally, if you have a rental car, go fish the Tamiami canal. Poist here if you'd like more detail on that trip.

Hopefully this will keep you entertained.

#4 ·
Top information here guys; much appreciated.

Josko, you've certainly given me enough information to make the most of the evening/morning sessions I manage to sneak in. Hopefully I'll be able to get away for at least one full day on concentrated fishing.

I'll shove an 8 and a 10 in the luggage and see what chance throw my way. Quite like the sound of getting out on a yak.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.