Starting to float tube in bass ponds ? - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2006, 02:47 PM
6th Year Apprentice

Starting to float tube in bass ponds ?

I have a few ponds near me that have plenty of likely bass structure (according to the books i've read), they are between 5 - 20 acres public waters ( so i assume i can tube there) and i have seen lure fisherman walking the banks but......

.... if you have no-one to show you the depths, weeds etc how do you actually start ? do you just find a beach, launch and head for deep water ?

I am thinking about safety here, and not destroying habitat etc

Mark.
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2006, 07:46 PM

Mark,

I was lucky and was invited to join a group of local guys from the Samuel Tisdale Society who were meeting this spring at nice bass pond and got introduced to the fun world of fly fishing from a float tube. It was a crummy day in June poored in the AM and was a steady drizzle most of the afternoon. I arrived for the afternoon session and had the best time despite the weather. Caught more fish than I could count. This was a good jumping off point for me as I met with members from the group on successive weekends thru the 4th and I learned a bunch and had a great time. I am now addicted to smallies on the flyrod and specifically like to use glass rods for them as they don't seem to throw the hook as easily as on graphite. What a hoot. Anyway every pond is different and the best thing is to not tube remote ponds alone. There are plenty of smaller ponds that have visibility that you can venture out on. I found one nearby my house that I enjoy even though most of the bass are cookie cutter 12". A light rod makes em fun. I have a pond in mind if you want to hookup in the spring.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2006, 12:05 PM
_

This might help if you're refering to ponds in MA. It has printable maps and info about regulations, fish species, access points, etc:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfw_pond.htm

You can also check out the satellite photos on maps.google or google earth. Zoom in and print some aerial photos.

I've never fished with a tube so I can't help with the other details. You might also want to check out the Inflatable Watercraft forum, maybe even the Kayak forum. They are in the Boating and Flyfishing section a little farther down on the index page.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...splay.php?f=80

Q
Old 12-10-2006, 04:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
When I started float tubing a couple of years ago, I just put the tube in the water and started exploring! There's no real science to it.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:27 AM

The Mass Wildlife pond maps are very helpful in locating dropoffs and under water structure and definetely worth checking out. They also have a write up on the fishing, types of fish, lake fertility and access. Most tubes now have multiple air chambers so it's very unlikely that you will have to swim it in alone. Mine has a foam seat similar to an old school seat style life preserver. My biggest concern are curious manhole cover sized snapping turtles
Old 12-10-2006, 11:23 AM
6th Year Apprentice

thanks guys, i did check out the dfw websites and these ponds are not on there, i did check google and have walked most of them.

i think i might buy a couple of cheap heavy spinners and cast round the lakes to get a rough idea first of where the drop offs are ?

mark
Old 12-10-2006, 09:24 PM

mmmmmmmm

Quote "My biggest concern are curious manhole cover sized snapping turtles"

Never thought about that..............
Old 12-11-2006, 07:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by flier
Quote "My biggest concern are curious manhole cover sized snapping turtles"

Never thought about that..............
Last year I kicked one of those while tubing in some shallow water in a nearby lake. You can bet I was headed in the opposite direction FAST!

Another time I saw one heading my way and surfacing occassionally. It got about 30 feet away and submerged, and I didn't see it again. Made me a bit nervous that he saw my feet/flippers as a nice big meal...
Old 12-11-2006, 08:54 AM

I have considered strapping a old wooden handle of some sort on the spare rod carrier for peace of mind. 95% of the time they are going to ignore you or leave you alone its the 5% curiosity factor that worries me. As a teen I spent all my spare time at a local pond where my friends and I had constructed a 5'x12' raft which we poled around using a swamp a maple sapling. One day my friend and I were working our way up the pond when a snapper about the size of a 5 gallon bucket decided he was going to board us. He was very very persistant to the extent we had to smack him over the head with the push pole. This fall I was fishing and after catching a couple of fish while wading at the tip of this point with deep water in front I had a snapper come up at me probably attracted by the struggling fish I had just caught but he was coming right at me and I was in waist deep water with no where to retreat
Old 12-18-2006, 04:09 PM

A couple of thoughts from someone who has been poking around (real) small SE Ma/Ri ponds for WAY to many years.
First, While I've had lots of "scares" with snappers, and in my experience, they DO leave you alone if you stay still/don't provoke them. Generally, They only bite things that look like food or poke them. ( i.e Don't tie off a stringer of crapie to your tube!)

Fishing depth can be calculated by watching your sinking line/fly but in most of these small&weedy farm/bass ponds, your going to be fishing in 1-8' of water 95% of the time anyway. ( There are exceptions) It's not hard to figure out once your on the pond. BTW, if your going to be fishing biger/deeper waters, it's simple enough to use/ rig a small depth finder. I have a flashlight style (icefishing) finder that reads depth to 99' with the push of a button. I've used it for 10 years with good results. You can also rig a cheap portable finder to a tube easy enough. ( Just did mine myself.) They are cheap and can give constant readout for days on a set of AA batteries.
hth
p.s. Watch bottom firmness and surface tangles. A put-in/take-out place with a firm sloped bottom is a must. Tubing in thuck weeds or Muck is not allot of fun either.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:24 PM

Just a few quick it's on learing to "read" new lakes(or pond's, ect.)
When fishing close to shore from a tube just remember,The contures of the shore line is pretty close to what the bottom of the lake should look like.As far as determining the depth of the water you are fishing,I use the countdown metheod.
Just start counting when your fly hit's the water and count untill it stops sinking.Then you can use that as a idea as to how deep you are fishing.I start low and work up the water table untill I find the active fish,with approx 5 cast's at each depth.
Enjoy your float tube!I could not tell you how many hours I have spent tubing since I first bought mine ten years ago,but now I could not imagian not having it my fishing arsonal.
Tight Lines
Aaron
Old 12-19-2006, 10:24 PM

ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Last year I kicked one of those while tubing in some shallow water in a nearby lake. You can bet I was headed in the opposite direction FAST!

Another time I saw one heading my way and surfacing occassionally. It got about 30 feet away and submerged, and I didn't see it again. Made me a bit nervous that he saw my feet/flippers as a nice big meal...

Okay If I get a tube to float in, I'm strapping my shotgun to my back....Just kidding.

Mark, good with the tube this coming year. Heck some of those largemouths may take you for a ride.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:03 PM

Snapping turtles

Couple summers ago I stopped to fish for some bass on my way home from work...tied a medium sized clouser on and cast out.....

About the tenth cast had what felt like a solid grab, which then turned to almost dead weight with a little waggle here and there....figures I had a tree branch or something....REALLY put a bend in the rod, so I ultimately handlined it in.....

Turned out to be a VERY healthy sized snapping turtle, with my clouser nicely imbedded right in the corner of his mouth!

Tried prying the hook out with a stick, but my catch was not so cooperative....ended up cutting the line as close as I could while preserving fingers, and putting him back in the pond.....

didn't get a weight, but anyone know the IGFA record on 10lb line?

mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.