Kings in Puget Sound - Fly Fishing Forum
Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon Perhaps the most under-rated fishery in the world

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2001, 11:17 AM

Kings in Puget Sound

Kings are showing in really good numbers in Puget Sound's Marine Area 11 since the season opener on 6/1/01. Reports say there were over 80, mostly in the 8-12# range, taken that day alone; several moochers are reporting catches in the 15-18# range. Clay Banks looks like the Safeco Field parking lot during a Mariner's home game with all the boats that have been out there every day - easily 60 at any given time. 12 trailers parked at the Gig Harbor boat launch yesterday tells me the season is underway in a BIG way. I weighed the one I caught yesterday at nearly 11#. Fell for a white & olive Krystal Flash Clouser that I was casting just off Point Dalco with a 8-wt, LC-13 shooting head setup - must have been the villiage idiot, but my first King on a fly none-the-less. YES! ;D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2001, 01:41 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Congrats! Great to hear about kings on the fly. I can see the irridescent silver and big spots on those tails and the silvery purple hues on the flanks between that emerald back and mercury silver sides. Man, I would love to jump back in my boat and zip around the sound salter salmon right now!

Please, keep us posted on all the happenings - as the big summer kings roll in, as the hooknoses appear - maybe even a 20 pound chrome chum will scream you around the sound this fall!

I recall a big chrome chum I caught at Bush Pt (area 9) several years ago... I thought it was a huge king the way it fought.

When I visit this fall I hope we can hook up for some saltchuck salmon on the fly.
Old 06-19-2001, 07:57 PM

Chums are in my vocuabulary. Caught 2 just shy of 20lbs last November at, get this, the Green River at Flaming Geyser. Managed 3 others in the mid-teens at Kennedy Creek, also. Sort of like hooking into a passing freight train.

Would place a red carpet on the boat for you if you had time this coming fall.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:37 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thank you for the kind offer, likewise anytime you get out to Cape Cod!

I would love to apply some of the atlantic coastal techniques to Puget Sound, my ol' stompin grounds. I would imagine that in the Narrows ripline a quick descent line or even lc-13 would put a good looking candlefish fly on a long shank hook with an active tail in shimmering emerald greens, chartreuse and silver/white (small eyes, etc) twitched in the rips when there are fish up high in the column dawn/dusk would do the trick - if you could keep the coho off the line. Man, if I still lived there I would be spending a lot of time figuring this out.

I can visualize Mt.Rainier looming pinks and pastels over the evening horizon on a hot summer day with mint bright salmon threading through the jade depths, the smell of the saltchuck and the sound of shearing water in the rips.

>sigh<

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.