Long Island trip - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 02:14 PM

Long Island trip

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have been impressed with what I have seen here. It seems that a number of you, like myself, are interested in low-cost bonefishing in the Bahamas. I have made 5 trips to Long Island, Bahamas for bonefish in the past three years. I am organizing a bonefish trip to Deadmans Cay (it will be my fourth time to this area) from March 24 - March 30, 2007. There is room for 2 or 3 more anglers. This will be 90% wading in the skinny water of hard-packed white sand flats. There are hundreds to thousands of bonefish here. This is the best place that I have found and I keep going back because the fishing, the people, and the place are so wonderful. The guides are superb, dependable, and great people.

The trip includes 7 nights lodging in a spotless little lodge on the water, breakfasts at the lodge, packed lunches, dinners at a terrific little local restaurant, 6 full days fishing with guides and flats boats (you must boat to these flats, then wade). Not included are airline tickets, gratuities, and drinks.
Your cost would be $1,800 per angler.

The fishing seems to get better every year and the rates are low because the place is undiscovered. I have caught 8 and 9 pound bonefish there and have seen plenty of bigger ones on every trip. Last year the typical bonefish was 4 - 4 1/2 pounds (we used a scale to be sure).

Call me at 207-650-9559 or email me for additional information or I can email you a report with photos from last year's trip. Thank you and I look forward to participating in this forum.

Vic Trodella
Freeport, Maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2006, 01:44 PM

Surprised

I guess I am surprised that with over 100 people having viewed this post, there hasn't been a single response to this offer. Not even a question or comment?
Guys, it's okay to talk to a newcomer here.

I know that many of you like great bonefishing at great prices. Believe me, it doesn't get much better than this trip.

I'll be away from the computer for a few days (surgery & recovery) ... maybe Santa will leave some messages in my stocking.

Vic
Old 12-20-2006, 02:57 PM

Vic it sounds like a great trip and thanks for the offer. I'm out for any bonefish trips in the near future but am envious. You shoudl have a great time!

Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:05 PM

Just curious, is this your own private trip or do you represent a lodge on LI.
FishHawk
Old 12-20-2006, 08:37 PM

Vic with respect
I think your comment [B]“Not even a question or comment?
Guys, it's okay to talk to a newcomer here.”[/
B] Is a little unfair, this is a great forum with some genuine people in it. None of the know it all bull that you tend to see on some of the other forums.
Have you considered at all that it’s getting a little late for booking trips and that most of the guys that are going are already booked? Just the nature of the limited flights to the islands dictate that.
Give the people here a chance they’re a good bunch!
Trev
Old 12-20-2006, 10:40 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Vic, lets see some photos from last year's trip.
As Trevor B mentioned, most people are probably already booked for their Winter/Spring bonefishing. I know I am.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:55 AM

Guys,

This is a private trip. I have no business connection to anyone in the Bahamas nor do I ever plan to represent any lodges. Being a self-employed architect is enough to keep me busy. I have just made a lot of friends down there and want share the great fishing that I have found with people like me who love bonefishing but live on a budget. This place is terrific and these guides are really good so I hope it can be helpful to everyone.

I tried to attach some photos but at 382 KB the files are too large. I also have a report with photos from the 2006 trip but that is 10.2 MB and it would not upload here. Four hours from now, I will be undergoing surgery for a double hernia so I will try to figure out how to get photos and reports to you sometime next week.

By the way, there is plenty of time to book a flight into Long Island; unlike Acklins, they fly there every day.

Happy Holidays,

Vic
Old 12-21-2006, 09:09 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Vic, good luck with the surgery!
When you get a chance, let us know who the guides are and where you will be staying. I know many of the members, including myself, have been to LI in the past.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:24 AM

Vic
I am sure there are plenty of people out there that have made a note of your trip and will in the future consider it.
My self like Vince I am already booked.
Good luck with the sugery, take care
Trev
ps would also love to see some pictures
Old 12-22-2006, 06:53 AM

the guy who brings enough others stays and fishes free so I am sure you would like to see people from this forum sign up

good people here, no need for a guilt trip
Old 12-22-2006, 09:16 AM

Chromer,

I had my surgery yesterday afternoon but I am not on any painkillers right now so I would like to respond to your rude comment before I do get on any medications. I have taken guys on this trip before and never made a nickel on it. Some guys that never even said thank you or bought me a beer. I am a person who likes to share a good thing with others, not profit off them.

I have fished Long Island several times alone and enjoyed it. I brought other friends along and enjoyed it even when my only "profit" was seeing them enjoy themselves.

Guys like you make me start thinking about just going alone again.

Vic
Old 12-22-2006, 02:40 PM

His response didn't seem rude to me. Better take one of those pills!
Old 12-22-2006, 04:34 PM

Vic- Hope your surgery went well (ouch) I went Eleuthera last year using Vince's services, it was great and would love to be able to try LI, but not in the cards this year ( actually going to Harker's again in January- got to hang something on my 13 wt). Have fun and send pics.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Vic -

Welcome to the Forum.

I wish you a speedy recovery. Just had some surgery myself, amazing the advances of modern medicine these days! I will be casting again in another month or so.

This is a quality vs. quantity type site (although over 26,000 unique viewers hit the site every month). It boils down to a really great bunch of guys many of whom have become lifelong friends.

BTW - If your images are too large in file size try the free image tool (link at top of page) if you are running XP windows. The 60k limit is high by web standards.

Happy holidays
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-03-2007, 12:31 PM

Vic,

I'm already booked for Feb otherwise I would be in. Maybe next year. As an aside, mayber we could get together for stripers in the spring. I live in Scarbrough. Speedy recovery.

Tim D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.