Rod Recommendations? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 09:41 AM

Rod Recommendations?

Hi all - new to the forum.. Love reading all these posts! Some great insight here..

Anyways, am planning my first bonefishing trip soon so I need to feed my fly-fishing addiction and spend even more money on this disgusting habit!

Anyone have recommendations on a nice 8-9 wt rod and reel set-up that would be ideal for bones, permit, baby poons, etc??

Any suggestions appreciated,

Thanks!

DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to Skilly Send a message via Yahoo to Skilly
rod

You have a pm

Skilly
Old 12-01-2006, 11:31 AM

Rod choice is a personal thing but before you buy anything get your hands on an 8wt. Sage Xi2 and try it out. It is a pleasure to cast.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:00 PM

I like T&T rods and abel reels. But like the post above if I could afford another I would buy a SAGE xi2. SWEEEEET salt water rod, but so is my horizon 2. Super 8 reel. Everybody is different. That xi2 is just so freakin light and solid feeling.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 PM

I have a Winston Boron XTR 8 and a Sage RPLXI 9 and love both.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Flats Rat

I love my 9wt GLX. I also love my 9wt TFO professional at 1/4 the cost

Seriously, there are so many choices and they'll all work for you. I would be prepared to spend a bit more on the reel since a quality drag mechanism a much bigger factor than rod in bonefishing success. Saying that, my first bonefishing trip I used a Sci Anglers System II 8/9. Other than the caliper drag going into freespool a couple of times and a few bruised knuckles it help up fine.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Jonesin...

If you are going high end a great setup in my opinion would be a Tibor Everglades with a Loomis Cross Current GLX. The rods are so good these days that to me the warranty becomes a differentiator. With the Loomis there are no hassles. Just give them a call and for about $50 you will have a brand new rod overnighted no questions asked. No warranty cards no waiting weeks for a repair. If you are more budget minded the TFO's, Albrights etc... are all great sticks for the money.

Sean
Old 12-01-2006, 02:37 PM

Sage XP is my fav rod on the flats. Perfect with a Wulf Bermuda TT.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:16 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
All great rods listed below. Don't forget the Scott S3S. Great rod.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:39 PM

I'm a huge fan of the sage XI2 as well--the rod has great distance but lacks the "broomstick" feel of many fast action rods these days. I'd say an 8 weight should suffice for most bonefish situations.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:29 PM

You really should try a few rods, I actually prefer a Sage SP, but in all honesty I might be catering more to the fisherman than to the actual fishing, there is no question I would do just good/bad with a $200 rod. Most rods are very capable of delivering tight loops through hard wind in the right hands, even if the juiciest rods might have an advantage in 70+ feet casts, which is probably pretty rare when bonefishing, at least compared to quickly and accurately casting 40 feet.

There are less differences on reels than rod IMHO, just get something that's fairly rugged and high quality, and you generally get what you pay for. The drag isn't very important for bonefishing (but probably is for bigger species), so the only significant functional differentiator is the arbor size. Get a Orvis Battenkill LA, Loop or similar style reel, and you'll save yourself a couple of rounds on retrieving, but it's more nice-to-have than required for successful fishing. The Teton Tioga 10LA is considered a great budget reel for an #8 rod for about $100
Old 12-02-2006, 06:45 PM

I would beg to differ on the reel. The first bonefish I ever caught weighed about 3 pounds and reached well into my backing twice. I would say spend a little extra on your reel. Drag is very important. The big boy could be lurking.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:38 AM

I've fished for (small) bones with a broken drag-less reel without any problem. My palm is my drag. But your point is a good one. I really wanted to say that once up in the high-quality range of both rod and reels, there is a greater personal preference determining which rod to pick than reel. All $300+ reels designed for saltwater will do the (simple, but important) job nicely, but the rod must match your casting stroke and "feel right".

Well, I might be a bit special, my motto has always been "you can never have too many 8 weights" and I got a closet full to prove it, yet I've never owned a reel that cost me more than $150 until last month
Old 12-03-2006, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
You don't mention how much you're willing to spend. That will make a big difference in what can be recommended...
Old 12-03-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
You don't mention how much you're willing to spend. That will make a big difference in what can be recommended...
Price is not really a concern, and since it would be my first salt-water rod I'm willing to pay for quality.. Appreciate all of the suggestions!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.