Fly Fishing Forum banner

Naugatuck/Shetucket River (CT) gear setup?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mcurtiss 
#1 ·
I'm looking to try my hand at salmon fishing here in CT. I have my all-around freshwater 6 wt and my 9wt salt combo. I'm wondering, since i really have never fly casted for anything but trout and stripers and little in between, what rod would would people recommend if I was specifically targeting salmon (most of the release here are 2-12 pounds)

#4 ·
while i never fished these rivers, my son goes to school in the area and i have been thinking of giving it a whirl. if you're thinking of putting a group together, count me in. btw, check out flyaddict.com it is a site dedicated to fishing connecticut rivers including the shetucket.

#5 ·
thanks for the tip on flyaddict...yet another forum to join ;) it'll be a good resource for find out good brookie places in new london county.

Yeah, i suppose my 9wt is the best bet. I suppose i can use my existing intermediate cleartip line anyways.

#7 ·
juro said:
are they in there now?
According to the DEP fishing report site:

DEP expects to stock over 600 additional broodstock Atlantic salmon into the Shetucket and Naugatuck Rivers next week (November 6th-10th). Each river will be stocked twice (about 150 fish per trip). This will bring the number of salmon stocked this fall to over 1,200, split evenly between the two rivers. The salmon to be stocked next week are 3-15-lb fish from DEP’s Kensington Hatchery.
Additional fish may also become available following spawning in federal fish hatcheries in November and December.

ATLANTIC SALMON fishing in the Naugatuck (catches in the 25-30” range) and Shetucket Rivers is reported to be picking up as temperatures decrease and the recently stocked fish settle in. Flashy streamers (attractor pattern) are getting the job done. Anglers are reminded that angling for broodstock Atlantic salmon is limited to catch-and- release only through November 30, 2006. From December 1, 2006 through March 31, 2007, anglers may keep one fish per day. Fishing for Atlantic salmon is limited to use of a single fly or a lure with a single free-swinging hook.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.