Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week – Red Abbey - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-22-2006, 08:11 AM

Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week – Red Abbey

This fly is considered by many to be one of the first modern hair-winged Atlantic salmon flies. It seems to be unclear as to who invented the fly but credit for it is most often given to A.S. Trude, a trout fisherman from Idaho. It is known that Trude was one of the first to use hair-wings on his trout flies. He gave several to a visiting fisherman named Colonel Lewis S. Thompson in the early 1900’s. One in particular called the Abbey is said to have had a red body. Thompson had some of them re-tied as salmon flies and relates that he did well on the Restigouche with one he called the Red Abbey. Since that time this fly has been popular on the Restigouche and later on the Matapedia and the Penobscot.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tag: Oval silver tinsel.
Tail: Red goose quill.
Rib: Oval silver tinsel.
Body: Red floss.
Hackle: Brown
Wing: Red squirrel tail.
Cheeks: Jungle cock (optional).
Head: Red or black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Abbey.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	6155  
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2006, 10:32 AM

Beautiful and memories

HI Charlie,

Nicely tied. I still keep a few of these in the fly box for a "mix-it-up-a-bit" pattern. I remember one night WAY back in the early 80's on the Saint John River here in New Brunswick, my dad had one of these on that I had tied (I was 13 or 14 at the time and had only been tying a little while). He latched into a nice Atlantic Salmon that he never got to shore, it broke off 20 minutes into the discussion of who was going to win the tug of war so to speak. What was really great is that my dad very seldom strayed from a #2 or #4 double hook Silver Downeast but he did not want to turn down my latest creation which was no where are pretty as yours.

Dwight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Pullin' Thread

Charlie,

Although I am very familliar with this fly, I've never tied nor used it for steelhead. However, I have tied and used it a lot for small stream trout (brook and cutthroat) during the 12 years I lived in Montana. It was a terrific trout catcher when tied on #12-14 wet fly hooks and fished in traditional down-and-across trout wet fly fashion on a 2 or 3 fly rig (or cast).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.