Waterproof Flats Backpack? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2006, 04:53 AM

Waterproof Flats Backpack?

What do you guys recommend. I was on a trip in the Seychelles recently and a lot of the fisherman had Patagonia Stormfronts which look to be ideal but alas they are no longer made.

Guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2006, 11:19 AM

What do you need to carry? I can get by for 3-4 hrs (of bonefishing) with just a quart of gatorade, flybox and tippet in the pockets of a flats shirt. For full day wade trips, I use the LLBean fishing pack, and it works fine.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have the patagonia pod but it's zipper had problems so I retired it, otherwise an amazing piece of equipment

the best waterproof backpack is the first one I bought out in Seattle many years ago - it's a roll-top / snap edged opaque backpack with full shoulder straps and a comfortable belt.

Not as fancy as the others but it has outlasted them all and is still my goto bag.

100% waterproof.

I agree with Josko - when bonefishing, I have a waterproof case for my camera and there is nothing on my person that would be damaged otherwise. Cell phone has no meaning in the remote out-islands and even the keys are left in a secret undisclosed location in case anyone needs to get back to the vehicle while we are all spread out on a massive Bahamian flat.

However in striper country, especially while guiding a waterproof pack is essential. North face makes a very good belt pack that is 100% waterproof. I have one and it's good, however it seems counter-intuitive to me to wear something that ends up in the water all day (belt level) even if it's waterproof.

Temperature fluctuations from condensation against cold water gets things soggy and lunches get mashed up in the belt pack.

At least the backpack is high and dry and out of the way.

I don't think the ultimate backpack for flats gear that needs to stay dry exists (phones, cameras, keys, wallet, first aid kits, layers of clothing in spring and fall, raingear, etc)

The patagonia pack was very close but all it really needed was a simple roll top to be perfect, the over-designed zipper was it's demise.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 11-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Jonesin...

Cabelas makes a roll-top dry bag backpack. Haven't used it myself but the couple user reviews are pretty good. Might be worth a try if you don't find anything else. I believe Simms makes one now too but it seems way too pricey for what it is.

Sean
Old 11-22-2006, 08:58 AM

From what I understand wading in the Seychelles can be a little different than wading a bonefish flat in the Bahamas. When fishing the remote atolls of Cosmoledo and Farquar you fish from a mother ship and take a dingy to the flats each day. You have to have water, food and other gear with you when you leave the dingy because you may not return during the day.

You have to be prepared for other fish such as GT's which means you need to somehow pack a 11 or 12 wt rod along with you. I was told this by a friend who guides there. He says that when he sees a GT he just drops the bonefish rod in the water and goes to the 12wt. These fish are always on the move and you don't have a big window to get a shot at them.

That brings up another question along those lines. How would you carry the extra 12wt outfit so it would interfer the least with your casting and fighting the bonefish and still be able to get to it quickly when you spot the GT?
Old 11-22-2006, 08:22 PM

We needed to carry a reasonable amount of water and a rain jacket as we got some cold rain at times and I also want it to double as a boat bag. As for trevallies, they appear so quickly one would be lucky to get a #12 weight going and the #8 stowed in time. The most workable solution is to have a trevally fly with its shock tippet tied in a perfection loop and loop it onto the bonefish fly hook when you see the trevally. In trevally locations you are usually using strong bonefish tippets. We made sure each party on the flats had a radio so there is some water sensitive equipment about.

Guy.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:09 PM

I have always thought my patagonia storm front was about perfect (sometimes too small, some times too big). Right now, I would say that a really cool option is the Sagebrush Outfitters fanny pack/shoulder bag. Very well made with the zipper that Juro didn't like. Great for photo euipment. I find that if theey are kept lubed with a little silicone, they work fine (if maybe a little stiff).
Old 11-24-2006, 09:55 AM

That's SageBrush Dry Goods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.