Rising trout in club pond - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2006, 03:31 PM
David

Rising trout in club pond

I have been watching several trout( stocked rainbow and brown) rising to the surface, and some seem to be swimming in circles, I think they are chasing each other (spawning?) I have tried several dry patterns, and I cannot get them to hit much. I have had only one take on a light henderson fly, and today on a grasshopper!! I don't think they really wanted these bugs, maybe they were just pissed off or something. Any ideas what to use. I had early success on black bh woolly buggers right after we stocked (10/15 approx.) but that has dried up too!

Thanks

David
R.I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2006, 08:35 PM

club pond tactics

if your pond is anything like our club (malden anglers) these fish are sterile and will swarm in pods and circle all day, mimicking a spawning behavior. feeding gets smarter as fish acclimate to pond bugs. usual faire is midges and just under surface. we sometimes have success with occasional bwo or caddis on top but usually most fish midges just under. sunk griffiths knats or rojo midges work well for me. bead head prince and tiny midge emergers #20 and smaller with touch of split shot to keep fly 3 inches below surface during variable reteives seem to produce regularly. water boatmen and scuds also good choices. nothing wrong with the buggers as they work all times of year, but most guys increase takes by using sink heads. occasionally you can see path of feeders by following rises and anticipate where the next one will be, but these club pond fish get awful smart within a week or two after getting dropped in. good luck and have fun doing it while the ice is still away.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:03 PM
6th Year Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie-dye-fly-guy
if your pond is anything like our club (malden anglers) .
i didn't know there were any private club waters in SE Mass, I couldn't find any on the net - do you know any on the south shore ?

thanks

Mark
Old 11-24-2006, 11:21 AM

se club

sorry i dont know any. there should be as there are nice places to fish. malden anglers is a terrific experience and have members throughout boston area. will try to get out there today with this sun!
Old 11-24-2006, 06:57 PM
David

club pond

Hi; Thanks for the replies, re: club pond. I agree that it does not take long for these fish to get smart. I guess the fact that i have hooked about 40 of them and released them back into the pond may help to smarten them up too!

BTW, our pond (club) is in northern R.I. not Mass. Sorry, I think I left that out of my origonal post.

Hope the weather stays nice, it is fun to fish by you self.

David
R.I.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernseybass
i didn't know there were any private club waters in SE Mass, I couldn't find any on the net - do you know any on the south shore ?

thanks

Mark
Hi Mark. There's a club pond in Franklin, MA called Uncas Pond. Most people probably don't realize there's public access to it. Here's a map of it:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=15...,0.029182&om=1

The public access is via the ramp used for stocking the pond. You can park in the small dirt lot at the end of Florence St on the left hand side. You can't shore fish the pond, but a float tube, canoe, or other small boat is perfect for this small body of water. The access ramp is at the left hand side of the lot as you're facing the pond. You can drive down to the water to launch a boat, but only handicapped parking is allowed right by the water, so you'll have to pull your car back up to the dirt lot after launching the boat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.