Pend Oreille area, Idaho - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2006, 12:56 PM

Pend Oreille area, Idaho

I have a chance to soend some time (at the Navy facility) at lake Pend Oreille, Idaho next spring and summer and am curious what my flyfishing opporunities in the area are. I keep hearing ecstatic reports of how good deep-trolling for lakers is, but I'd prefer to look for trout or steelhead in moving water. Any insights or useful links would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Pullin' Thread

Josko,

Lake Pend Oreille is in an area abounding with stream and river trout fishing opportunities. It is within an hour to 2 hours of some great trout fishing. Truthfully, all you need to do when you get there is start fishing any of the streams and rivers in the area. The St. Joe's. and Pend Oreille rivers come readily to mind and the upper Pend Orielle has either paved or well-maintained dirt roads along most of it. Steelhead at that time of year is pretty much non-existent though. And there is a very fine fly shop right in town that would be a good place to get started.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

By the way josko it's pronounced "pandoray" by the locals

A name with tricky tourist phonetics like "Worcester" or "Pulaski".
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 11-20-2006, 07:16 PM

http://www.sandpointonline.com/rec/l...e/fishing.html

Its been about 6 years since I was in that area fishing, but boat rentals were easy to find to fish that and surrounding lakes. That lake is unbelievably deep, over 1000 feet deep. Its not far to Coeur d'Alene, which has a really good fly shop and guide service (unfortunately can't remember the name).

Just about every stream in the area held nice trout, and it was not a far drive to the Clark Fork in Montana and to Glacier Park.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/fish/

If I recall correctly, they have had a drought the last few years that may have had a bad effect on the fishing.

Joe
Old 11-25-2006, 11:42 PM

In addition to the waters listed, I'd add British Columbia waters. There are some world class river and lake fishing opportunities just over the border.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.