Late RI/CT report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Fly chucker

Late RI/CT report

I took Friday off from work so that I might be able to take advantage of the unseasonably mild temperatures on the coast. I headed out to South County and worked my way back to CT.

RI spots:
Central Beach- Dead
East Beach- Dead
Elephant Rock- Dead
Quonnie breachway- Dead
Quonnie Pond- Dead
Fire District Beach- Dead
Misquamicuit Beach- Dead
Napatree Beach/Point- Dead

No signs of birds, bait, or fish in any of the above locations. I then went directly to New London CT and launched my kayak knowing that fish just had to be around the mouth of the Thames. Bear in mind that there were no signs of birds, bait, or fish in this area either, but I fished it just the same. I found schoolies in short order around some rockpiles, with the majority of them in 10 to 13 feet of water. It wasn't fast and furious, but it was steady enough to keep me there until sundown.

Low sixty degree air temperatures and schoolies......it seemed like May out there. I'm glad that I got out when I did, because a cold snap is coming soon.
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2006, 04:40 PM
resigned

Mark. I'm so happy you braved the wind. Fishing was very good at Harkness as well. IMHO the baby bunker are sensing the colder water temps in the fresh water upper layer in the river and are moving out to to get into some warmer ocean water. Napatree and even Weekapaug are experiencing the same effects. The Pawcatuck is getting colder as well as the salt ponds. 4' bunker are on the move.
Could be an epic week oof schoolie fishing to end the season if you can dress right and withstand the windchills. I'll be thinking of all the tight lines I won't be having while at work. Tip paying jobs suck when the fishing is great. No work......no tips no moprtgage payment. LOL!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOO.......get out there and use some sick time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow anglers.

Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.