Best time to hook up with Salmon and Steelhead - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2006, 04:35 AM

Best time to hook up with Salmon and Steelhead

Have the thumbs up on a Salmon/Steelhead trip. I want to go between now and April, and am wondering the best time to head out to the Waskington or Oregon area. PRobably do a 4-5 day trip. Would like to take a guided trip for one eor two of the days, so recommendations would be appreciated. I normally fish the salt in the NH/MA/RI area, targeting Stripers, Blues, Albies and Bonito.

Also, as I tie my own flies, I'd be interested in tying some patterns up - so also looking for recommendations there.

Any tips on what areas to stay, with the goal of mine to get a place eto sleep that's comfortable, but affordable - nothiing fancy, just a place to catch 4-6 hours of sleep and then get back to fisihing.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by fliboy; 11-13-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2006, 12:49 PM

Hey, Dave,

You picked a goodly window for your visit. Too bad you couldn't arrange for more than one trip, since the window overlaps winter and spring runs.

Probably if you're just taking one shot, an early spring trip to the Olympic Peninsula might be one you'd like to consider. Lots of good fly-water; native steelhead; and reputable guides. Accommodations are in line with what you suggested.

Others on the Forum fish the OP regularly and should be able to point you in the right direction.

For Oregon, early winter is the time of hatchery fish (late November through January). Later in the season, the ratio of stream-bred to hatchery fish increases. There is good winter/spring fly fishing on the Sandy River near Portland, with several excellent guides offering trips. Within an hour's drive from Portland, there are dozens of streams in Oregon and SW Washington that offer possibilites; nevertheless, I'd opt for the Peninsula. Rich in scenery, culture and tradition.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 11-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

who knows I might be there at the same time; if so I know my way around a bit

as Eric says as long as the rivers aren't blown out and you willing to put in your time for a real treasure or two verses a lot of factory fish, late winter / spring in the OP, cascades and Columbia tribs can be an amazing experience in the nearly holy pursuit of native steelhead on the fly
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 11-13-2006, 06:58 PM

Juro - let me know when you plan on going, and maybe things will line up. I've missed out on a lot of fishing this past Striper season, so I've got to make up for it with the trip to target the Pacific species.

THanks

Dave
Old 11-24-2006, 06:07 AM

Juro - I'm flexible on exactly when I go. I may be doing this trip in lieu of going to Puerto Rico this February. So let me know when you plan and going, and I could line up the trip when you'd be out there. I'd be honored to be shown around by you, as I know it's your "old stomping grounds". I'd also like to know what patterns to tie up, as I'm sure I'll have to pick up some materials I normally don't use.

Thanks

Dave
Old 11-24-2006, 06:37 AM

two peak periods are fall & spring

best bang for buck now is... well other than that its March / April in WA. The Olympic Peninsula, Cascades and if time permits a swing to the Columbia tribs would make a typical break-neck pace for one of my usual swings out west

the best part for me is the living legends you meet out there on the water, some famous some not

I will be looking at that time frame (late Mar/Apr) depending on conditions, run state and regulations
Old 11-24-2006, 08:58 AM

Juro - just checked out Southwest and ran a scenario of leaving late March from Manchester and flying back early April - $238 round trip. Not bad at all.

What does one expect to pay for a hotel per night out there - nothing fancy?

Thanks

Dave
Old 11-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Token Gear Guy

Thumbs up

Dave, if yer fishing in the Forks area (the OP), there are half a dozen motels and B&B's within ten minutes of good fishing...the motels run $50 to $100 per night, and the B&B's are as much as you want to spend...

I usually go the cheapest route and we either get a $50 room at the Forks Motel with two queen beds if there are only two of us, and really splurge for the Olympic Suites if there are three or more, and that still only runs about $100 or $125 bucks a night, but has two bedrooms, three beds, and a sleeper sofa, plus a full kitchen...for four guys it is plush and still pretty cheap.

Fish on...

Todd
Old 11-25-2006, 10:29 AM

... and breakfast on the OP is taken very seriously by the local businesses much to the outdoorsman's delight.

The hungry bear near Sappho on the Duc is another good option.

Also the bunny farm on the Skagit is a reasonable nights stay when split with others, and Tootsie's restaurant is hard to skip on the way to fishing each morning even if fishing the chapel run across the street.

Todd, maybe we can hook up with you then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.