Low Flows on the Salmon river - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 06:52 PM

Low Flows on the Salmon river

Waterline posts flow down to 750cfs midnite tues. 11/14 until midnite thurs 11/17. I'm packed and ready to go, anybody else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2006, 07:32 AM

Did I hear that changed back to 1800 until the 20th? I just got back last night from battling the conditions, with all the rain it was high.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:39 AM

low flows on the Salmon

You are correct it was supposed to be down to 750cfs I was packed and ready to leave this AM. Checked waterline last nite and levels were raised to 1800cfs until the 20th. Flows at Pineville with runoff were 2200cfs. Cancelled trip I didn't feel like driving the 6hrs only to deal with those conditions, BUMMER.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:39 PM

will the flows change on the 20th or the 21st? i'm scheduled for the 20th.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:46 PM
fish'n Hobo

http://www.h2oline.com/365123.asp
Old 11-15-2006, 07:38 AM

I just got back and it is high, with all the run off it was over 2,000 this past weekend, and fished until Monday. Certainly tough conditions, but we were able to hook fish by any means indicator, slinky, or spey...I can't imagine how crowded it will be when it drops....
Old 11-16-2006, 07:16 PM

Rain

With this rain it's likely to stay high for a while yet.
We fished Nov 8 and went 3 for 8. The 3 were in the 6-8lb range.
We had a couple of large fish on but they broke off 6lb floro. We had to increase the drag after they ran out too much line. In these flows the advantage goes to the fish depending on where you are fishing.
Next trip is the 29th, and every Wed. till xmas. I'm thinking we'll still be fishing 2000 cfs on the 29th.
The good news is there's lots of steelhead going straight up river, and some good sized ones too, so the season should be good till spring.
Last year there were quite a few around, but not many large ones; I did not hook or see any fish hooked over 15lbs.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:52 PM

CanadianFly- WHy the Salmon from Ottawa, lots of rivers in between? Just curious. Regardless have fun.....
Old 11-17-2006, 05:09 PM

Salmon River

Good question.
I like to fish year round, and prefer using a fly rod.
I usually venture to Gaspe for Atlantic Salmon 2X over the summer.
I fish Kenuak near Montabello for smaller trout.
Big Rideau for Lakers.
Cottage waters for Bass and Pike.
Algonquin Park for walleye/bass/lakers.
From Nov. to April there is no better place then the Salmon River.
My fishing buddy and I (mostly him) have landed some truly incredible Atlantics in Gaspe, however nothing compares to SR Steelhead on a fly rod with 4lb floro for a challenge. Contending with the weather on the SR is another big challenge, however nothing that good clothing and a heated drift boat can't fix :-).

Dollar for dollar the SR experience is impossible to beat. On the 8th we fished with someone who has fished out of every camp in Gaspe, and I think he would echo my comments.

Besides the SR is barely more then a quick 2 hour drive from Ottawa (in good weather).
Old 11-18-2006, 06:24 AM

Interesting. I like to fish the SR, but it can be SUCH a meatpit. I'd always thought that's because it's the closest steelhead river to the whole Boston-Washington corridor. Wouldn't, say, the north shore of lake Ontario both have a comparable fishery and a lot fewer googans?
Old 11-18-2006, 08:11 AM

SR

Not much on the North shore of Lake Ontario Steelhead wise.
The Bruce offers great fishing however it's a 6 hr drive.
I have never fished the SR between Sept 15 and Nov 1st... that's when crowds are the worst. First 2 weeks of Sept is ok in the DSR. The $25 helps thin the crowds a bit. Even at $25 it's still a fraction of what good water costs in Gaspe.
After Nov 1st and with a drift boat you can usually leave the crowds behind. I am not into combat fishing either.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:23 AM

Looks like the HI Flows are rocking on. Well I have already been tarred and feathered for bailing on Turkey day, so we are headed back to battle the Salmon at 1800+ CFS. Does anyone want to exchange High Water, SWING spots? If so shoot me a PM.....-Randy
Old 12-24-2006, 03:07 PM

High Water on the Salmon River This Season

Fleshfly:

Yes the conditions this year on the Salmon River were difficult to say the least.

September through October 17th the conditions were what I would consider normanl. However, as noted, the construction on the dam kept flow rates very high.

Oct. 18th thru Nov. 24th the flows were above 1600 to 2200 cfs.
Tough fishing in anyone's book.

Fishing from within the tree line is always taxing, however, employing a spey rod easied that problem with getting line out, and having enough umph... to carry weight so your fly has a chance of getting into the strike zone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.