Fly Fishing Forum banner

Help me choose a new 12/13 rod 'n reel

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I am looking to increase my arsenal with a new 12 or 13 weight fly rod and reel.

I will be travelling to trhe Seychelles in late February so I need a combo that can handle big GT's and in the future possibly tuna,sailfish and small marlin.

I have narrowed my search down but please recommend something If you think my choices are lacking

Rods include:

G Loomis 9' 12 weight FR10812-4CCGLX or 11'3" 12-13 weight FR13512-4CC

Sage Xi-2 series 1390-4 Xi2 13 weight

Orvis 9' 12 weight T3 912-4, Tip 9.5 Fly Rod

Reels include:

Terry Hayden TFR H 2 12 weight reel

Shilton

Penn International

Nautilus Spey reels

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't go wrong with Loomis. Anything associated with the Rajeff name is going to be good. Echo is another great product at a good price-point.

I always give my buddies at Temple Fork a plug, especially the 12wt Professional series. At $160 a pop you get two (or even 3) for the price of one high-end rod.

A big consideration when heading out to a remote location, where the nearest tackle shop is beyond convenient reach is having backup gear. I would plan on taking at least two of everything you consider important. :wink:

For reels, Penn is known for ruggedness. I've not fished Hayden but have handled them and they look very tough and well made.

I recently picked up a Danielsson based on the positive reviews here from guys who fish hard and don't B/S. The HD series might be another option at a good price point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.