GRAND CASCAPEDIA(SALMON BRANCH) - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2006, 04:59 PM

GRAND CASCAPEDIA(SALMON BRANCH)

À L'EAU!
I have a reservation with GASPE SALMON DESTINATION for june 13 to 16 with this oufit.
Can anybody give me some info. as to the fishing there(SALMOM BRANCH)
tHANKS.
GET.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2006, 05:31 PM

Yes, there should be fish there at that time. Stick with your guide and you'll do fine.

I believe that's Salmon Lodge, David Bishops' old place. Nice view of the river, good accommodations, relax and you'll have a good trip.

-Chris
Old 11-03-2006, 06:41 PM

Question GRAND CASCAPEDIA(SALMON BRANCH)

Thanks for your reply...can you give me an idea of the flyes to be used and their size.
GET.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:47 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
I'd make sure you at least try a Lady Amherst . . . sort of the "home" fly for the Grande. Also, stonefly (green body, black wing) . . . many flies work. If the water is high, you might want to go as large as a 2 or 4. I've also caught fish on the salmon branch in June on bombers.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:33 PM

Salut Georges
You're in good hands with Dave,just ask him ,reference which fly(flies) .Try the same flies ya going to use on Glen Emma Plus some Stoneflies and maybe some more Stoneflies ,BBGB and some more BBGB's
Cheers

Last edited by Salar-1; 11-04-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:08 AM

An interesting segment on the river just aired on WGBH: http://w ww.loe.org/shows/segments.h...44&segmentID=7
Old 11-04-2006, 12:37 PM

GRAND CASCAPEDIA(SALMON BRANCH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar-1
Salut Georges
You're in good hands with Dave,just ask him ,reference which fly(flies) .Try the same flies ya going to use on Glen Emma Plus some Stoneflies and maybe some more Stoneflies ,BBGB and some more BBGB's
Cheers
SALUT Salar-1!
Do we know each other? You seem to know that I am a regular of the GLEN EMMA!
GET
Old 11-05-2006, 04:09 PM

Location: Gaspe Peninsual, Petite and Grand Cascapedia, Bonaventure, Nouvelle etc...
Salut Get (A.K.A. Georges),

Vous avez bien choisi votre endroit!!! Salmon lodge is simply magnificent and with the new renovations the new owners are doing - it is only getting better and better.

I am David, the former owner of Salmon lodge. You requested information on flies for early to mid June and as this is an area I have fished for a very long time, I thought I might try to help you out a bit.

The upper Cascapedia, Lake and Salmon Branch, both fish well from about the 10th onward, sometimes a bit earlier, or, later depending on the tides, moon, blah, blah, blah... but usually that week you chose is good. You will be fishing big flies and floating lines unless the water is really high and coloured. Despite the conditions at that time of the year, you can always use big flies, between 2 and 3/0. Having said this, if the water is normal or lower, as it can sometimes be early, do not be afraid to use flies down to size 6.

Here are some good early season patterns EVERYONE should have for ALL GASPE rivers for the early season.

Picasse
Surface Stonefly
Pompier
Out to lunch
Alley's shrimp
Magog Smelt

ANY TYPE OF SPEY FLY YOU CAN IMAGINE THAT WILL BELLYDANCE IN THE WATER.

ALSO try anything you have confidence in when fishing other rivers during the early season.

It is not rocket science in June, throw them something big and ugly with the PROPER presentation, and you will get results.

The fly patterns that I have mentioned are only a very few. We also use, BBGB's, Green Machines, Aldo, and almost every single one of Marc Leblanc's creations, as well as a few classics like the Lady Amherst, Jock Scott, Green Highlander, etc...

We also have discovered some great flies from our friends in Europe and the UK. Fishing with the boys from across the Pond, can be a great learning experience. They have brought us a bunch of funky Temple Dog Hair flies and Icelandic fox hair flies that flow in the water.

My advice, bring what you got and keep asking around. Everyone has their own way of doing things and I just thought sharing my way could maybe help you. Have a great time this summer!

David
Old 11-05-2006, 07:28 PM

BONSOIR DAVID !
SUPER.You are giving me a lot more answers than I would have anticipated,I realy look forward to meet you and the other guides.
June is so far away.....
GEORGES.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:39 AM

How big an issue are black flies on the Gaspe that time of the year? Would you say they are better (fewer), worse, or about the same as in Maine?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.