Drought Over: Hallelujah - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 08:50 AM

Drought Over: Hallelujah

Finally started raining, big time, on the Oregon coast. Rivers have been at dead low for months and the Chinook and Coho have been muddling around and turning black and blacker for weeks waiting for a good freshet.

Their waiting should be over in the next couple of days, as heavy rains are predicted to continue through next week (and through the winter, for that matter -- apparently there's been a shift in the jet stream.

Anyway, the salmon should start moving up the coastal streams and the winter steelhead won't be far behind.

Cheers,

Soggy in Waldport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2006, 10:18 AM

A little bit here this AM

It appears to be similar up here in the NW corner. The way things have been I will hold off on the Hosannas for a few more days of good drenching rain. I did however beleive the forecast enough to finally cut up some firewood for the "Winter camp" yesterday while it was still bone dry. Now I guess its time to whip up some sink tips and big ugly flys for a few King Salmon.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:51 PM

Thank god for the rain and warmer temps. Wednesday had a long visit with our good friend Poppy over in Peck, Idaho. The river was at 38 degrees and air temp from 18 to 34 degrees. Not many fish being caught last week with such a high pressure over the Northwest. Things will change and fish will get active on the Eastside of mountains. And winter fishing will begin on the west side. Moonlight, Poppy got out the cane for me to look at. He loves it all most as much as his beautiful wife Linda.

Look forward to stories of all night rain, wine, wet firewood and bagpipes from the wet side of the world.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:32 PM

Wet firewood????

Wet Firewood, who are you going to talk to hear stories about wet firewood?
You could get banned for even insinuating that there might be wet firewood in my camp! I should have a picture somewhere of the spiffy new wood shed I built for the fire pit, one of the many benefits of not being in a migrant campsite.
I think it's probably far enough away from the River that it won't float away tonight this is looking like the big one here on the OP Would not be suprised to see the Q get past 100,000 CFS tonight!
Old 11-06-2006, 03:35 PM

Q vs. C

As of 1300 local the Queets is at 99,400 and the Columbia at the border is 90,400 I imagine the Queets will continue to rise for awhile yet. Speaking of rising I wonder how the dikes are fareing on the Skagit.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 AM

OK You Can Turn Off the Spigot Now

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv?14306500

Good Grief! I've never seen it rain and blow like this.

More than soggy in Waldport
Old 11-07-2006, 11:54 AM

Hey that storm is just about done and we are floating away. Watched that storm cross the Pacific now for days on my weather fax. It started as a cyclone below equator in SW Pacific moved north with the upper level westerlies turned into an extratropical low then met up with two troughs about mid Pacific and became what is known as a BOMB! Way worse a storm than when it was a cyclone. And guess what another one exactly like it is developing as I type and may move due west instead of NW like this last one and right over WA and OR.
A lot of rural folk in camo out in Eastern King County will have to take a boat to the voting machines today Stay dry because it looks to be a very wet year like we had in the mid 90's. Wet fire wood this year is in!
Old 11-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Pullin' Thread

Moonlight,

The Skagit dikes help up just fine this time. The old Hamilton townsite didn't fare very well though I see the gov is talking about expediting the condemnation and relocation of those who still live or have businesses in the old Hamilton townsite. And with more rain coming tomorrow, Sunday, and Tuesday, I don't expect the Skagit to drop below flood stage until sometime next week.

The NF Stilly had a lot of flooding on it too.

I find myself wondering how this flood has changed the three of them.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:21 AM

Took a look today...

The road up the Hoh is still closed but I gather that the big Culvert at Twin Creek blew out up in the Park among other things that disappeared. The road up the Queets is still there but it had obviously had a lot of water flowing over and down it.
From the looks of it everybody is equal in there knowledge of where the holes are as the rivers are all different again. As OC stated there is a possible 'nother big one comin we always feel cheated a bit when we get several big floods in a row and do not get to fish the water in between the floods, never knowing what kind of pools and riffles that were just so perfect for that breif moment until the next flood washed them away.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:56 AM

It's going to storm hard for most of the next 96 hours. This storm will bring snow down low so flooding should not be as bad. The big one on Tuesday of next week should be centered so we get 50 knot winds from the west out on the coast and tons of rain down low, it may be more if the high pressure holds up to the south of that low and creates a squash zone. November most years is a tough month for big storms as Pacific waters are still warm and upper region winds really start to drift further south making for some of the worst storms of winter. It is the same for the Atlantic East coast also. Cold fronts swing down from up north colliding with still warm Gulf Stream.
Not trying to be anyones weather man here but have been working really hard at learning all this stuff about how weather works over the worlds oceans and how to advoid and use bad weather to ones advantage. Those guys and gals who commercial fish for a living have a lot of balls and I bet they really understand their weather fax charts along with thier 7 senses.

Some predictions from the pros say it will dry out more in the NW as December takes hold and S. Cal will see more storms than usual.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:24 PM

You are the weatherman..

And then we fish and burn up some firewood! However "you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.