Canal 10/30/06 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006, 02:25 PM

Canal 10/30/06

Plenty of small fish in the canal, found 'em in a particular spot Saturday morning and I was wondering if they'd still be around so I hit it last night. Got a few on the fly just to say I did it and a bunch more on LT, nothing over 20" but plenty fun this time of year. There were some large fish that would occasionally show in the middle, they were on a bigger bait then the little guys and they were heading West. Forgot what a PITA it is to fish the canal but I'm not complaining given the sterility of the water a few miles North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2006, 04:25 PM
Pencil me in.....

I spent some time there Saturday myself with the HT. I slid down a mud embankment with my HT as a brace and fished a nice rip.....the return trip up the mud embankment that had turned into a small river was quite an experience
Old 11-01-2006, 06:14 AM

Slower last night but I still managed a few. Tough to keep a connection to the fly with the wind blasting right down the ditch. Word is there are still big fish yet to come through, they've been hitting them on the end of the jetty sporatically. Beautiful out there last night even with the wind, nearly 60F. I didn't hang around for it to start running East .
On another note if Deer is your quarry there's plenty of those running around, saw them every night at least once. Friday I pulled a real amature move - looking left "look at the pretty de...[BANG]" since I was going slow and had a foot on the break damage was minimal the deer got up and leaped off. If I'd had my HT maybe it would have been a different story.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:08 PM

flyfishing the canal

Jim are you flyfishing the canal with a single hander or spey rod?I 've been using the spey rod this year and doing quite well Not having to worry about backcasts makes it more enjoyable.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:41 PM

Single hander. I fish mostly from the boat but last couple of trips when I smile running on plane my lips freeze to my teeth so I switched to shore mode. Had a 2 hander that would have helped the backcast but don't know the spey thing. I can see how the spey would work great in the canal but don't have the equipment or the skill. How's the spey work in the wind? Years ago I used to fish the canal heavy non-fly so thought I'd give it a shot once the fishing slowed down in my area. Figured I'd have to catch a few on the fly to be allowed to post here.

It's going to be ice in the guides this weekend, may have to revert to coming out in the daylight Maybe the #@$@%%# deer will be in hiding, almost hit another one and have seen them at least once every trip at night.

Anyone know how Rhody's been this week?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.