Grand River - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2006, 12:24 PM

Question Grand River

I tried searching the forum, with my tech skillsthat doesn't mean much , but I was trying to get some info on the Grand River. Anyone care to send me some basic info that would be helpful....Thank you Randy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2006, 09:45 AM

Which Grand River are you refering to?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:20 PM

Ontario, looking to find some space for the spey....
Old 09-28-2006, 10:44 PM

Sorry, can't help you there.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:53 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've presented at the Spey Clave there a couple yrs back, it's a nice river but it gets warm in summer so you'll need to wait until the cool weather clears up the algae and brings in the salmonids.

The Cattaraugus is another option, and don't forget the Salmon River. The Penobscot is open until mid-October and some fish have now been landed and released.

Frankly if I were going to air out my Spey wings and go for some steelhead, I would take the current $238 r/t fare from Logan to SEATAC and camp along the countless pools from the Columbia tribs to the Olympics to the Cascades.

I don't think a flight to Ontario is any cheaper and this is grease-line time in the PNW.

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-30-2006, 09:23 PM

There is a park just below Brantford, you'll have to find it on a map. The Spey Claves were held there and there's some water that holds fish. There is also a town south of there that has a small impoundment the fish have to pass through (begins with a "C", again with the map). The water at the impoundment holds more fisherman but below that there is some streamy water.

Pick up a copy of Rick Kustich's book on Great Lakes Steelhead. The Saugeen and Notty may have fish as well as some others. I was on my way up there a few years ago this time but was derailed. I think you'll find some beautiful unexplored water up there to try with a two handed rod. I'm not sure the Niagara on the Canadian side has been fully "mapped" with a deep running sink tip as well.

If I had the Notty, Saugeen, Grand, and Niagara within striking distance for the month of October I'd not get on a place headed out West. You'll see more two handed rods and Steelhead in the GL than you will West of the Rockies. I know it's heresy for me to say but I was in Oregon for 8 months the beginning of this year and went a whopping 1-40 (rod days) and was in Gaspe for a whole 15 minutes before landing my first and lost another before the end of the first day. The only time I saw another angler with a double handed rod was while I was at the claves.

If you do go, lock your car, leave nothing in sight, know exactly where you are at all times, and be prepared to run into some scary folks and to share your pool with the boats and the bait guys. Honestly, I felt safer on the Catt when the two Senaca's started shooting Steelhead in the pool I was fishing last fall than I did the whole time I was out West.

-Chris
Old 10-01-2006, 08:28 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Randy -

Sounds like other than the Germans you had a great trip to British Columbia last month. I have had decades of steelhead bliss in the Seattle area and some trips to BC that will stay in my memory for a lifetime.

However my friend Chris seems to have fallen under a dark cloud while in Portland OR for 8 months.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 10-01-2006, 10:03 PM

Thanks for all the insight, and messages...Have Spey Will Travel. GL or PNW lets go! I have fished both the Catt and Salmon, just looking to explore some new water. I find it harder and harder to return to the Salmon River each year... I know the feeling of being in some unsafe water. Luckily for me, I can sometimes pass an Indian. I was fishing once up in the Kispiox area, and exlporing arround, late night looking for some butts, ran into some DRUGGED up kids from a tribe, they approached me like trouble was coming when they got close enough they kinda paused, and they changed their mannerisms....then aske me what tribe I was. I said "Sioux" with a strait face which is kinda true, just my last name is spelled TSU(chinese)...
Old 10-02-2006, 12:44 PM

Fleshfly

Check your PM's
Old 10-08-2006, 09:12 AM

The lower Grand from Paris down holds steelhead at this time of year and much of it is easily accessible. The river is very easy to wade and I haven't met any scary characters, outside of my fishing buddies of course -- them we're not too sure about.

The river has some dead slow sections that are deep and useless as swing water (think red 'n' white bobber water), but there are some great runs and flats that are perfect for the two-hander. A great spot to start with is below Wilkes dam in Brantford. This is in the same area as the two claves were held -- actually dead smack in the middle of the two demo areas we were using. Wilks has an interesting variety of water and depths, it's not bland like some of the runs on the river, and it's one of my favourite areas to fish. Most of the gear and bait fishermen congregate at the dam so you'll have the rest of the water to yourself. Best of all, there's parking at the end of a little dead end laneway, easy walk in, and the Timmies is only two minutes away by car if the coffee crave hits.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:12 AM

The lower Grand from Paris down holds steelhead at this time of year and much of it is easily accessible. The river is very easy to wade and I haven't met any scary characters, outside of my fishing buddies of course -- them we're not too sure about.

The river has some dead slow sections that are deep and useless as swing water (think red 'n' white bobber water), but there are some great runs and flats that are perfect for the two-hander. A great spot to start with is below Wilkes dam in Brantford. This is in the same area as the two claves were held -- actually dead smack in the middle of the two demo areas we were using. Wilks has an interesting variety of water and depths, it's not bland like some of the runs on the river, and it's one of my favourite areas to fish. Most of the gear and bait fishermen congregate at the dam so you'll have the rest of the water to yourself. Best of all, there's parking at the end of a little dead end laneway, easy walk in, and the Timmies is only two minutes away by car if the coffee crave hits.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:01 PM

Actually, in Oregon/Washington it was us gringos that were the worrisome lot, the Native Americans were all great. I'm used to passing through all the Appalachian "hollers" in the East with little or no issues. That's not what I encountered out West. Search this site and/or Speypages and there were some posts about theft in a big way in Forks, WA and on the Wilson River in Oregon.

I'd have gladly hired those two Seneca's and their 30-06 to protect me but I think even that crew of tweakers out there would have scared them off.

-Chris
Old 10-10-2006, 09:55 PM

cool thanks, again for all the advice..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.