wading/rain jackets - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2006, 01:30 PM

Talking wading/rain jackets

looking to get a new jacket simms g3 guide or the patagonia sst any help would be of great value. mostly for the pacific northwest thanks lots
will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2006, 04:05 AM

I would say get what fits your budget & style. Check to see if the pockets & compartments will suite your needs. If you wear warm clothes underneath see how it feels with those on. I have a Simms & it has held up good & I stay dry. Gortex is good stuff
Old 10-26-2006, 05:43 AM

Great advice from Warren. I'll put in my .02 for Patagonia: got the SST about 5 years ago, and the only issue I had was a couple of zipper issues after about 3 years. I sent it in to Patagonia for repairs, and got a brand-new, updated SST back from them. And I have to say, I really, really like this current design.

Still having (minor) zipper issues though; one of the little metal clips that keeps you from unzipping one of the interior zippers too far fell off, making it impossible for me to zip that pocket. I let Patagonia know, but only as feedback--I thought it was pretty generous to have already gotten a brand-new jacket from them, so I wasn't going to quibble too much. Plus, those metal clips are only on the two interior pockets; the outside pockets are nice, with water-resistant zippers. I love the SST.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:06 AM

Hm. I've had the same zipper problems as Tim with my SST jacket, plus the lamination has separated along the back of the neck, where the hood folds over, and the jacket leaks all along the base of the neck. It never occured to me to contact Patagonia, but after ~3 years, I'd say it's been a bit disappointing, at least for a ~$300 jacket.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:19 AM
rankinstein

jackets

Hello the November /December issue of FlyRod&Reel has a decent review on the top 10 wading jackets might be worth a look.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:24 PM

My first SST jacket lasted from 1984 to 2004 without a problem until 2005 when its waterproofing gave up the ghost. 20 years with no complaints isn't bad IMHO.

In 2005, I bought a 2004 discontinued model. It too is just great. I also have the current model and the Deep Wading jacket (I fish with my sons once a year so I need the extra clothing to share). The current model SST has its pluses -- roll-up hood, stretchability, handwarmer pockets -- and its minuses -- zippers can be hard to use and the equipment pockets take a little getting used to. Overall, if the 2004 SST had a roll-up hood, it would, again IMHO, be preferable to the current model.

I can't knock the SIMMS, but I don't see how you can go wrong with Patagonia.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:55 PM

You can't go wrong with Patagonia. In my case, also, for some reason, all of a sudden in a downpour my Deep Wading Jacket hood started to leak bigtime. I packaged it up with a letter to them and in a week with no reply whatsoever, they sent me a newer model of the one I had returned. I think that's fair since it was supposed to be waterproof (a rain jacket) and it leaked. A fine company from whom I'd definitely buy from again.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:55 PM

The Simms jacket with seven external [6 in front] pockets and one internal pocket acts as a simple fly vest in terms of separating camera from sunblock from fly boxes from flies awaiting new hooks, from gloves, from lunch, etc. The front and interior pockets are accessible with one hand. This is my second season without problem.

I fished the Patagonia jacket for one day in 2005 and recall it has two generously sized front pockets BUT the pockets require two-hands to unzip--not convenient.

Last edited by Bob Pauli; 10-27-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:25 PM

patagonia jacket

fished the Patagonia jacket for one day in 2005 and recall it has two generously sized front pockets BUT the pockets require two-hands to unzip--not convenient.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Pauli: Funny. My Patagonia Deep Wading Jacket has velcro strips on both front jacket pockets. I don't need two hands to open the pockets at all. Just pull and it's open. No "zips" needing two hands.

Why would you fish this jacket for only one day? Did you have other problems with it? Did Patagonia refund your purchase price because you didn't care for the pockets or what?

Also, how happy are you with your Simms "waterproof" jacket? I ask because a couple of fishermen I know have had issues with leakage of their Simms jackets.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:33 AM

i recently tried a number of high end wading jackets and it came down to the simms and orvis. while i am generally not a great fan of orvis rods, their gear is first rate. the orvis jacket had everything that the simms model had and was substantially less money, althought it was not made in the gortex name brand material.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:03 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
The decision on which wading jacket to purchase should be directly related to the number of days you spend on the water. There are lots of choices. As a guy who spends six months in a wading jacket, the answer is easy. Anacedotally speaking, about 10 years ago four of us fished in a torrential downpour all day. At the end of the day two of us, one with a goretex Cabela jacket and one with an Orvis jacket didn't have a dry spot on us. The other two guys with Simms Guide Weight jackets, were dry and toasty warm.

I now have two Simms jackets, one lightweight for those marginal days, and a Guide Weight for those toad soakers. I developed a leak in the Guide Weight about two years ago, returned it, and it was repaired without question.

Patagonia makes great products, and a lot of my buds swear by them. Not knocking other products, but again, if you are serious about the sport, buy the best you can afford.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:07 AM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

the current model stretch sst has the pockets with zippers streamlined into the front which does make them harder to access. the older ones had the velcro flap pockets. for spring the stretch sst will have the big flap pockets back with the same design as the current model with the fold up hood and stretch material. anyone out there who has an issue with a patagonia product should contact them as their warranty is your satisfaction, tough to beat.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Jim Buffalo Outfitters

jkt

get the simms they are hard to beat and the service is top notch
Old 10-30-2006, 05:37 PM

Simms? Good Customer Service?

I have owned my Simms Classic Guide jacket for 4 years. It started leaking fairly heavily around the back of the neck, and shoulders, after season #3. I fish around 70 days a year, but the jacket gets used/worn maybe 40 days a year. I sent it back to Simms, who examined the jacket and found '117 pinhole leaks', and wanted to charge me $38 US to repair it, and return to Canada (plus shipping, both ways).

As the jacket does not get used for heavy bushwacking, the 'holes' were a surprise to me. I was even more surprised that Simms, a large, reputable company, would not replace this jacket, which obviously had some problems with it. I exchanged several emails with the customer service department, leading to the conclusion that Simms repaired the jacket, and I payed for shipping both ways. The jacket cost me $500 or so cdn when I bought it in 2002. Good value for 3 years of light use?

I thought it would be worthwhile for me to pipe up. I'll never buy another Simms product!

cheers

longshanks
Old 10-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

Patagonia jackets have been very very good to me. I own the lightweight and heavyweight versions for appropriate seasons / venues (summer squalls on the beach verses winter steelheading in temperate rain forests).

Yvon Chouinard knows how to do outdoor products right.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.