A Question On Rod Length - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2006, 03:42 PM

A Question On Rod Length

Thinking of getting a new 8 weight rod. I have always used 9 foot rods but would like to try a 9 1/2 or 10 foot rod for a change. What will I gain or loose? I know the longer rod will be heavier and I will get tired quicker but it will mend line better. What other differences will there be? If it matters this will be for Atalntic Salmon. I did a search but did not realy find an answer. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2006, 12:24 PM

The first piece of advice I would give you is not to assume that you will like the feel of a 9 1/2' or 10' rod in the same model as the 9' rod you may have been casting. For example, I loved my Sage 9-ft 8-wt. RP, but didn't like the 9 1/2' RP at all.

As far as length is concerned in general, I have started using an 11-ft 7-wt Winston BIIx almost exclusively for Atlantic salmon fishing. I find the added line control, the ease with which the rod casts 75-80 feet overhead, and ability to make spey-type casts with the longer rod real pluses.

While I am sure I will not leave my 9-ft rods home when I go fishing, for me, the long rod is the "go to" rod from now on.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
It's not how long the rod is, it's how you use it.

(ok couldn't resist )

I'm more curious to see what people say rather than being able to provide much advice myself. I use a 7.5 ft 4 wt for all of my stream fishing here in the Northeast. It' overmatched for the bigger fish I land, but I make it work!
Old 10-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Pullin' Thread

The weight difference between a 9' ,9'6", and 10' rods is virtually negligible. I mean we're talking less than an once difference; therefore, the weight of the rod is a no-vever-mind. However the increased line control and ease of picking up a long line is very noticeable.

As was mentioned, make sure you cast the longer rod if in the same series as the 9' rod from the same manufacturer because sometimes there are very noticeable differences in how they feel, rate of recovery, stiffness, etc.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:34 AM

Long rods

Leo

I started to fish Atlantic Salmon in NB with a 9 ft #8 IMX loomis rods and was quite happy with this rod

I changed about 3 years ago for a 10 ft #7 Gatti FR 3 piece rod that I like the most its lighter and turns the fly quite well.

I also have a 11 Ft #8 FR GAtti that I though would be perfect for the wide Moisie here on the north Shore but discovered that my #7 was better for me with my fishing style, Now I use the #8 11 footer on big pike and lake trout in river situation here in the north.

I noticed the huge difference in my Gatti Fr 10 ft #7 and my Gatti Fr 11 ft #8

Jocelin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.