Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tying for Pulaski

5K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  josko 
#1 ·
I'll probably head up to Pulaski sometime bewtween now and Christmas and am wondering what go-to patterns for the area I should be tying. Somehow whenever I'm up there, water's near 32 and it's too cold to swing flies, so I end up bottom-dredging.
What half-dozen or dozen patterns should I stock up on?

#2 ·
what works for me.

rushers steelhead stone nymphs are my fav they have trigger of pom pom egg as well as small black stone body which hatch and crawl around on the snow under your feet. great one fly for pulaski in my opinion. green caddis in the sun is one of my other favs. most of my friends are into egg suck leeches. i like lil oregon cheese micro eggs dead drifted on south sandy in higher winter flows

#7 ·
Dave Barber

Dave Barber is probably one of the better/best guides on the Salmon. If you ask him he will tell you the patterns that will work for your trips time frame. Give him a call a week or two in advance to see if there is a pattern that has suddenly turned on and become the "HOT" fly.

#10 ·
Tying for pulaski

Nice selection Jim. I usually am on the river the last week of Nov. Cancelled this year due to high water and weather, first time in 20 yrs. The Salmon has been running about 2000+cfs below pineville and the tribs are mostly blown. The reason for the high water on the Salmon is the repair work being done on the dam, they have to keep the water down. Scheduled completion is NOV.7 but sources in the area estimate about a week behind sched.
My bags are packed and truck is loaded I'M READY!!!

#12 ·
Juro,
this weather has our schedule suddenly wide open for this time of year. we would be up for something anytime, lots of new toys to play with. see what can be done to put something together before winter really sets in. any sunday would be perfect or even saturdays.

Nick

#14 ·
Tying for pulaski

I believe someone was talking about a mini clave or get together over Thanksgiving. Regardless of when I'm in. If I gewt any advance info on the dam repair completion I'll post. I'm sure when the work is done the flows will come down to about 335 cfs for a while as they refill.

#16 ·
itchin is right

been absolutely impatient for steelie action. was to go up last week with new wife for her first time to see what im so crazy about. made call at last minute to cancel coming to reason that putting first timer in 23oo cfus in 37 degree temps with sleeting rain not best idea to fall in love with ff steelhead. of course i would have gone if it was myself or with the other ff freaks i know. instead drove her into a spa B+B at last minute and she loved the surprise that i wasnt crazy enough to drag her into river fishing under such horrible conditions.

i accumulated some good hubby fish time off with that move. but it only got the fire to fish hotter. going up 11/10 with a motley crue of new dads and ff bums who of course cant watch the river to make their reservations, so cannot reschedule this date. hope the flows come down so eagerly as hoping to swing the douglaston water with ernest.

one of yall spoke about a construction project on dam as sourse of high flow, is there a contact number or site where i can find realistic date of completion. if the flow still high when we go i might suggest a float trip if cannot swing the lower river. would like to make reservation early so i dont find myself in the unemployment line of the lower ff area all weekend.

funny how many flies you can tie when you get pumped for steel!

#17 ·
Don't know of any contact# for construction project. I have some state dec contacts that I call from time to time. You might call Whitakers shop they may have info. If thay dont get much rain the tribs should be ok Sandy creek was downfrom 1300+ to 650cfs this am.
If I get any info on the dam construction I''l post. but it probably wont complete on sched Nov 7

Greg

#18 ·
Don't know of any contact# for construction project. I have some state dec contacts that I call from time to time. You might call Whitakers shop they may have info. If thay dont get much rain the tribs should be ok Sandy creek was downfrom 1300+ to 650cfs this am.
If I get any info on the dam construction I''l post. but it probably wont complete on sched Nov 7

Greg

#19 ·
Cool info here on the Flows on Salmon, DAM IT WILL BE GOOD WHEN it comes down!!!!

Jim can I rent your fly box one weekend?

I'll be up with Tie-Die the weekend of the 10th, and fishing the Wedneday before Turkey Day until the Sunday. Who knows where I'll be, as for flows, regardless I'll be grilling a turkey river side at some point during the day......

#23 ·
Fished the Salmon R. today. Water is still very high (1800 + runoff). But lots of fish in the river.
Went 3 for 5 on Steelies... biggest I'm guessing around 14lbs. Played with some salmon too. Actually still some fairly fresh ones around if you seek them out.
Had my favorite spots all to myself... no one around!
Overall a great mental health day!

36 degrees .... snow squalls ... must be steelheading season. :eek:

#26 ·
at least someones gettin some

nice report jim. i remember my very first steelie trip. quiet fluffy snow all morning. was beautiful to see the river under the blanket of snow. i take was suttle but she ran so fast upstream the mouse spray on the water was unforgettable. i thought about monsters living in a trout stream and i was hooked for life. they are my ultimate quarry. congrats on good day out there. nice no guys from jersey with triple hooks and white rods. steelheaders unite!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.