10/15 - If I'd hooked even 5% of the fish I saw today - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2006, 09:42 PM
_

10/15 - If I'd hooked even 5% of the fish I saw today

If I'd hooked even 5% of the fish I saw today it would have been a phenominal day, especially if I could have picked which 5% I wanted to hook . I was in RI this weekend and spent lots of time on my favorite beach. On Saturday I got a few schoolies blindcasting, and I sight-casted, hooked and lost a much larger fish. Today I got a couple schoolies and a sea robin right after first light, then chased birds and bait for a while without much more success. Saw lots of other flyfishers out there but nobody that I knew (that I know of). They all left as the tide got near low, but I stuck around because I had seen some good fish during the incoming on Saturday. I went up on the dune to look down the beach and saw brown clouds of bait all along the beach (anchovies? silversides?). I stuck with the bait for the next few hours and saw hundreds of stripers but only caught one more (and a bird ). The fish were cruising the beach in both directions and also charging in from the deeper water. There were fish chasing bait at my feet several times. I got many, many good shots but they ignored or turned away from my offerings. And they weren't all small fish. At one point, as the tide and the waves got higher, I looked up to see a nice striper coming out of a wave right at me with its mouth open. If I was quicker I almost could have lipped if right out of the wave . It was amazing to see so many fish and have a front-row view of the action, but it was very frustrating to have so many chances and still not figure out how to get them to hit the fly.

Q
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

How small was the bait?

Also, did you observe the fish swimming in a pattern leading up to the point where they would attack or only where they attacked?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2006, 10:37 PM
_

Bait was 2-3". I had some pretty good imitations, and I also tried stuff that stood out from the crowd. Sometimes the fish were cruising in singles or pairs right along the shore. You could see the holes in the bait when the fish swam through. Sometimes the fish were swimming farther out, then charging in to attack. Lots of times they snuck up on me. I'd be scanning for fish and suddenly the fish would be right there. I tried to get some pics and videos but they didn't come out. I should have spent more time with the camera because I might have gotten some good photos. I was tempeted to test the underwater mode but I just cant bring myself to dunk the camera in saltwater.

Q
Old 10-16-2006, 04:42 PM
resigned

I agree with Quentin that the bite has really turned on. I spent a couple of days out in the kayak at Watch Hill. Fish on both sides. I had no trouble hooking up in the bait pods including a major blitz on the inside. Had the right recipe on the first cast and never changed flies all day. Some kids were sein netting on Sandy Point and I stopped to observe on the way out. Soo glad I did. Three inch silversides and chovies. The Flyfishmich epoxy chovie is killer in light tan Thanks again Rick!!!!!! Looks like next weekend should be insane if this keeps up and the rain doesn't ruin things.

Phil
Old 10-16-2006, 07:02 PM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefishmon
. . . I had no trouble hooking up in the bait pods including a major blitz on the inside. Had the right recipe on the first cast and never changed flies all day. Some kids were sein netting on Sandy Point and I stopped to observe on the way out. Soo glad I did. Three inch silversides and chovies. The Flyfishmich epoxy chovie is killer in light tan Thanks again Rick!!!!!! . . . .

Phil
Here's one of the flies I tied for the trip. This is what I used all day Saturday and most of the time on Sunday while I tried various presentations to try to get the fish to hit. Maybe I should have moved away from the bait??

Q
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epoxy anchovy.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	6124  
Old 10-17-2006, 11:32 PM
rover1001

Here's a quick question: I was working thr RI salt last weekend and hooked a great number of blues and a few strippers on the fly by chasing birds offshore. Is there any good way to tell a school of blues from a school of strippers by watching birds alone? Or are often the strippers hanging below the blues on the surface picking up the bait scraps from above? There must be a few of you salty enough to know the answer. I want more strippers! Thanks for the insight.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:15 AM

Not sure if this is 100%, but my experience is when there are blues in the mix, you won't see a single bird sitting in the water - I think for obvious reasons.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover1001
I want more strippers!
I remember back when I would say the same thing.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Local Boob

RI is definitely the place for Strippers.

Have you considered wearing enough gold to comprise a Mr. T Starter Set?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Recovering Albie-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Here's one of the flies I tied for the trip. This is what I used all day Saturday and most of the time on Sunday while I tried various presentations to try to get the fish to hit.
Quentin,
When I look at the epoxies that I tie in the water, the most visible component are the reflective eyes and "belly". Both silversides and anchovies are predominantly "clear/opaque" with the exception of their belly section, which is usually quite silver. Try wrapping your hook shank with pearl braid (to build it up) and then flat clear reflective tinsel before you epoxy it. For some reason, my flies seem to work regardless of who is throwing them (sorry Phil ) and that is the only real difference I can see between your pattern and mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.