new guy - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 PM

new guy

Hi I'm new in Massachusetts and was wondering (Without giving away sacred spots). If there is any decent Freshwater flyfishing in SE Mass. I'm a saltwater surf fisherman and I just bought my first moderate flyrod and I am Hoooked! I think Ive had more fun practicing on my driveway than Ive had surf fishing these past few weeks. lol
I'm just looking for either stream, pond or brook locations more for practice before I even think about buying salt equipment. I already have waders and shoes I don't care if I catch anything. lol
I am really enjoying watching that fly line in the air. I mean I'm awful at it but like I said I am so hooked right now I havent looked at a plug bomber in weeks.
Thanks guys.

Oh I'll have several stupid questions over the next 80 years or so. lol

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Fly chucker

If you're in Southeast MA, the kettle ponds on the Cape can't be too far away. I'd look into those, as I've heard that they have fished quite well over the past couple of seasons.

And welcome to the Forum.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Middle Aged Member

The Trout Unlimited guide is a pretty good resource for the area. I'd drop into the Bears Den in Taunton and pick some brains. There are loads of ponds in the area for warmwater species. JFBasser can provide serious help on that topic. Whereabouts in SE Mass are you?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:29 PM

Thanks guys, Fred I'm in Seekonk.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:04 AM
Middle Aged Member

There is a noted trout stream down that way, forgot the name. You'll be needing a saltwater setup too. You really need to take a ride to the Bears Den (click on the sponsors link above). The sickness begins.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:22 PM
6th Year Apprentice

welcome Tom,

I have been doing a lot of same searching as i've just moved to Hingham.

the TU book is useful in part, but Tom Fullers' Trout Streams of Southern New England is very useful as it covers ponds too.

i have done 20 or 30 trips out to fish and look at places and what i have found is that essentially there is no good freshwater flyfishing between Boston and the Cape.

the Plymouth area rivers are tiny, more like small streams with very low water levels and the ponds generally have little or no areas where you can flyfish from the shore with a backcast comfortably.

where you can, tends to be the shallows with very long casts needed to fish the fish rich drop offs. the ponds, even though stocked are more suitable for spin and bait fisherman. ( i have to think that some fly only ponds would be a good thing in SE MA)

so this winter when i get the chance, i will be heading for either the Cape ponds or up/out to the Nissitisset, squannacook and quinapoxet rivers.

and hopefully, by next winter i will have either a belly boat or Kayak which will make the plymouth ponds much more viable.

mark
Old 10-15-2006, 09:51 PM

thanks

Yeah I was afraid someone was gonna say that, lol. Well I will most def. buy some salt gear over this winter. As I do surf fish at night in RI ans SE MA I know lots of places for a solt fly. I was just hoping for some sweet water areas near my place too. Can't complain this area has some of the best salt fishing. This past friday At 1AM I caught a striper keeper on a sluggo on light spin rod takle on the palmer river in Warren. ten minutes from my house.
Who am I to complain.
Thanks guys.
I'll be flyin this spring in the salt. For now I'll be practicing in the back yard.
Deer season starts for me tommorow. YEEEEEHAAAAA
Old 10-17-2006, 11:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Korean_fly Send a message via MSN to Korean_fly
Wood River

Wood River in Hopkington RI. A Nice little stream and some nice sized trout in there. Believe they just stocked it in september if I remember correctly. Wooly buggers on the swing worked like a charm last few times there... image gives you an idea of this place. Narrow stream in an awesome setting.

Last edited by Korean_fly; 10-17-2006 at 11:34 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.