Grand Bahama - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2006, 12:22 PM

Grand Bahama

Does anyone have any thoughts about Grand Bahama for a first time bonefishing trip? If you get away from Freeport, it seems like things get pretty remote. Also, how does GB compare to Andros in terms of number of fish i will catch/get shots at per day.

I guess i'm looking at the differences. I'm looking to go in April.

Great board here btw, just signed up yesterday.

JT

Last edited by JTWG; 10-06-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Flats Rat

When you mention Andros the first thing that comes to mind is Bonefish. I'm not sure about GB as a first time bonefish destination if that's your primary goal. If its a familly holiday with fishing on the side then there are other considerations like entertainment for kids, shopping for wives etc. I've never fished GB but the Deep Water Cay club has a legendary history.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:11 PM

Sorry, it is for a bonefishing trip.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:34 PM

i have fished in a number of locations in the bahamas and in my opinion grand bahama is the best: big fish, lots of them, little fishing pressure, the best guides i have ever fished with anywhere, and moderately priced.. because it is a family destination it is not promoted as a fishing destination. if you stick to the east end(mclain's town) you will be pleasantly surprised. the guides will pick you up at your freeport hotel and deliver you back at the end of the day without any additional charge. the downside is that most of the customers are daytrippers from the hotels so many locals take advantage and call themselves guides, and they are not. that said there are some truly great guides. pm me and i'll give you some names if you like.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:28 PM

In January both Grand Bahama and Andros are susceptib le to cold fronts, which will bring 3-4 dayhs of low cloud and 20+ kt NW winds. The likelihood of getting weathered out at either location is, I'd guess, about 35-40%. If you're set on going in Jan, i would look hard at some of the more southern Bahamian islands. The cold fronts tend to dissipate the further south in the Bahamas you go.
If you manage to miss a cold front, you will find great conditions for larger fish, but little guys get relatively scarce.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:34 AM

Josko, not sure why i wrote January down. I meant to say April. SHould i be ok then?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:46 PM

April is THE prime bonefishing month in both locations, IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.