Rate your warmwater season - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Fly chucker

Rate your warmwater season

To be honest, I didn't do a heck of a lot of warmwater fishing this year. I had my annual pike trip in the spring, and after that I hit a local resevoir a few times after work or on the weekend with the wife. What fishing I did was fair compared to other years, but fun nevertheless.

I think that my fishing time was at more of a premium this season, and because of that I tended to head to the coast for the saltwater action when I was able to tear myself away.
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Flats Rat

I certainly spent more time in the salt this season despite a number of warmwater plans that never came to fruition. I had a memorable float trip on the upper Housatonic for smallies and nailed my first Housy pike up at Falls Village the previous week. Not big but memorable since it went airborne about six feet in very shallow water. There is an "undiscovered" warmwater fishery that I will explore by Kayak in the future but that will probably have to wait until next season now.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:12 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
I really havent been able to get out much this year.
A few dozen bass on poppers this year a couple pike when i had the chance, but nothing special for size.
Lets not forget the season isnt quite over just yet
Old 10-04-2006, 09:33 AM

This has probably been the best warmwater year I've ever had. I caught a bunch of smallies and only managed to get out a couple of times. I caught carp on the flats in Lake Michigan up to close to 30lb. And I just got back from Alaska where in less than ten days I caught over 300 northern pike with a 48" top fish. Man, I'm already set to do it all over again next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2006, 10:14 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR SPEY
And I just got back from Alaska where in less than ten days I caught over 300 northern pike with a 48" top fish.
Now that sounds like good times.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:36 PM
_

Quote:
. . . And I just got back from Alaska where in less than ten days I caught over 300 northern pike with a 48" top fish. . . .
Awesome!!! I'd like to hear about the details and see some pics if you have them .

I guess my warmwater season wasn't particularly memorable. Had a few good days on the river but didn't do very well in the lakes and ponds this year, and I never did any all-nighters as I had hoped. But as Jared mentioned, the season isn't quite over yet so I still have a chance to get out and make some memories that will help me get through the winter.

Q
Old 10-05-2006, 08:06 AM

I can give you some details. Photos are another story. I still have to get up to speed on how to post photos on an internet forum.

We fished for ten days starting the day after Labor Day. We were on the Midnight Sun Trophy Pike Adventure houseboat in the middle of nowhere northeast of Aniak. The river we fished is the Innoko, and is a tributary to the mighty Yukon. The houseboat is far more luxurious than one would imagine and houses six anglers, three guides/staff and a chef---not a cook but a chef. The boats are aluminum jon boats with a 50hp four stroke. Both anglers on a boat can fish at the same time from the boat and in a few areas one can wade. You fish mostly the sloughs that branch off from the river. In September, the flies are big, as in 8-10 inches long and even longer. The truth is that September is known more for big fish than it is numbers of fish, but we had both. I landed more than 15 fish over 40" and a whole bunch more that were 38-39". Barry Reynolds was up for the two weeks before us and got a 54" fish. I was using a ten weight rod most of the time and a floating line only. There were two days where the weather was so nasty that almost all of us ended up using conventional gear in order to keep fishing. Even that was a blast. On one day, my partner and I decided we'd try to break the top number of fish caught by one fishing boat in one day (91 fish in a day.) We landed 110 fish, with 12 fish over 40" in less than nine hours of fishing. All were caught on a fly as it was the warmest/calmest day we had while up there. All hooks are single hooks (even on large conventional lures) and all are barbless. As one can well imagine we had activity from a lot more fish that didn't get included in those numbers landed. We actually lost a lot more fish with conventional gear than we did with flies. By the way, these numbers are not guesses. The guides are required by Alaskan law to record the exact number of fish caught each day. So, they don't count fish to enhance someone's ego, but because the state wants to know exactly how the fishery is doing.

Send me a PM if you'd like more information. Midnight Sun does have its own website.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:38 PM
_

Quote:
I can give you some details. Photos are another story. I still have to get up to speed on how to post photos on an internet forum. . . .
Thanks for the details! Sounds like a place I need to visit some day .

As for the photos, you just need to resize them so they are less than 60kb and you can upload them right here as an attachment. When you post a message, scroll down a bit and you'll see a button called Manage Attachments. Click that button, click on the browse button and find your photo, then click upload. Close the window and submit the post. Send me a PM if you need help with resizing the photo. If you have Windows XP there is a link to a free image resizing program at the top of this page.

Q
Old 10-05-2006, 09:25 PM

Rating = 7.5 /10 so far!

Mid May till end of June, spent about 30 days chasing pike, did very well locally and had a "downer-bust" trip to North Sakatchewan, 7 days and no big fish! Not going back to that lodge!
Developped a serious casting elbow pain and gave up on the 9 Wt, went to a 7 Wt instead but would have preferred the 9Wt.
July to Mid Sept. was spent guiding & fishing the Bow for Rainbows & Browns, had a great season with clients catching many large fish, personal fishing was limited but extremely productive. Still having casting elbow pains so Ibuprofen is the norm together with an elbow tensor.
Mid Sept. till now, back to local pike, doing very well so far and as long as the weather holds, I'll be chasing them in the shallows as they chase spawing Whitefish. Doing some "Cast & Blast" days, partridge in the morning and pike in the afternoon.
Best fish (Pike) this year is a 46 incher, best Rainbow at 27 iinches, best Brown at 26 inches.
Still on painkillers & tensor bandages! Hopefully the winter season will clear this problem up, or maybe its just old age!
Old 10-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Fly chucker

Pete, I sincerely hope that your elbow problem gets better. Take good care of it during the offseason.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:32 PM

Lake Congamond CT

Just came across the site Mark. Hello to all
My lake has not been the same since the lake restoration community convinced the state(s) that chemical weed control was the way I have found the spring and early summer seasons to to be my only opportunity to catch quality panfish but sadly the largemouth populations don't hang out where there isn't any food or cover.

Here is a 2006 re-cap. I have adapted to the new conditions and found the technique of wading the shoreline in early spring (before docks are in) and catching quality crappie on flies. This April I landed the largest yet. I also know there are bigger ones than this. This fish took a small blue over white, bead chain eye clouser. It received it in a fly swap and it was tied by a fellow going by the name Artimus from Ontario, Canada.

The late spring early summer season featured the bluegill spawn but the size quality of that population was not to usual standards. I hope that weed control doesn't hurt them also..........

I left the lake in late June for wading the Connecticut River hoping for another banner smallie season but that also was not to be. Everyone was complaining of only small fish in the usual hunting grounds. The most consistant fishery I found this summer were the fallfish that inhabit the Farmington river in Tariffville. This was the top dog for the year. This one was caught on black Murray's Strymph that I received in another swap from a fellow going by the name Hairstacker

All in all the fishing for me would be average with only my April crappie being the highlight. We just had several days of great October weather this past week that allowed the water to warm up a little so I went down to the beach each evening after work. I did get many bluegills (nothing larger) but I did get this cute bass that posed quitely for me in the setting fall sunlight. The fly that got him is a size 8 "No frills" damsel you can see sitting in the shell.

After the bass I hooked up with a fish that wasn't feeling like a gill. As I was bringing it towards me it started to thrash and I thought it might be a crappie. I started to reach and a much larger fish was coming after it. A BASS Then the surprize it's a golden shiner. That's what the bass wanted........

I made my way back to the beach to head home for supper thinking that this will be the last lake adventure for the year. I told myself, last cast and proceeded to reel in willing one last gill to take it and.......what do you know

A few more weeks left for trout fishing and it will be all over until next year

Last edited by GHow; 10-15-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I did ok this spring/early summer. I got two bass in the 5 lb class which was a good way to start off the year. The numbers just weren't there though since I usually get at least a half dozen bass per trip, and closer to a dozen in previous years, but this year I was lucky to get a half dozen per trip. I also didn't get in much fishing past May.

This past weekend was the highlight of my freshwater season with landing my biggest trout ever.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Local Boob

This was clearly the worst year for warm water fishing for me...

Granted it was the best year for striper fishing and the two things may somehow be related.

Only one fish stands out in my mind, a huge pickerel that I caught while striper fishing in a very brackish creek.

Pete,

I sincerely how your elbow problem gets better, I can certainly relate.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:28 PM

I must say that I am spoiled rotten up here in Manitoba. Had a fantastic year catching all sorts of warmwater species. Everything from Walleye and Pike and Redhorse Suckers to Channel Cats. Quite a few big fish included.

My friend Will with a fly caught Channel Cat. Had a blast.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:08 AM

I didn't make any trips but I had a good year for smallies locally. From late June until mid October I had success with crayfish and damsel patterns. After water dropped below 60 degrees I went back to trout fishing. Biggest fish of year was about 3 lbs. Did most of my fishing one mile from home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.