Blue over White- lost the big one - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006, 09:31 AM

Blue over White- lost the big one

FWIW,

I'm finding the blue over white is working for everyone in the fall feeding frenzies.
I lost my best fish ever this weekend. I twitched a 3" blue over white bunker pattern into what I thought was a pod of schoolies when ...thud- bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

My flyline was instantly gone out thru the guides along with 100+ yards of backing
After another 75 yards went out I looked down and thought I might get spooled. There was no turning this cow. I applied max pressure I dare with a 15 lb tippet.
Finally the fish slowed and I got some line back. For about 5 mins more we battled and I was gaining when it came to a stalemate. I couldn't move the fish. Huh? I Lifted my line up as high as I could and it went straight to a lobster buoy. I was bested and the fish knew it. A couple head shakes and off it went.
The fish was hooked in 4 ' of water, took about 175-200 yards on the first run. Based on other fish I've landed on this same tackle setup I would guess this fish was in the mid to upper 40" class weighing ~30lbs. I was bummed to loose it.
I still am a 40" virgin.
Noath shoah is on fire!

Lefty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Squire animal

I rarely use blue & white these days for no particular reason either! Maybe it's time to dust them off?

Too bad on your loss Lefty... Still, we all need one Big One to get away once in a while, it sounds better when you recall it later!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Pencil me in.....

Attended a cookout and met an ol school fly guy from Cape Cod Bay....he said that you only need one fly "blue and white"...but the blue needs to be dashboard faded You must have been driving around with that fly quite a while Nice fish...they seem to be biting...I have been sawed off on a few lately myself
Old 10-02-2006, 04:46 PM
6th Year Apprentice

two Fridays ago, i took a bass a cast at the tip of SB with a blue over white clouser with red lead eyes, until i let Chuck from PA step in and take a fish ( he got a double hook up ).

JimS seemed quite surprised, but I have used it before but I reckon they get taken for snappers blues or striped mullet ( mushies) as they both have very blue backs.

mark
Old 10-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Secret:Time on the water

A good friend of mine emailed me today to say he took his biggest bass ever on the fly today out at the Elizabeth Islands. 48" 40 lbs. man what I wouldn't do to get a bass like that on the fly instead of live bait. Then I could really crow about my catch. Going out again to the cow fields to see if I can make that dream reality will report back after the battle is over.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:56 PM
_

Lefty, that one's gonna haunt you for a while .

It's awesome to hook a brute even if you never see it. I haven't had an uncontrollable fish on the end of my line in a very long time, and that was with light tackle spinning gear. Hasn't happened yet with the fly rod.

Were you in the boat or on shore?

Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.