A Huge Fish AGAIN! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Secret:Time on the water

A Huge Fish AGAIN!

Well I know the site is flyfishing but I also know you all appreciate a big fish no matter how it's caught so I hope you all enjoy a couple of pics of the fish I got yesterday. She measured 52" had a girth of 31" and weighed in at a svelte 56.5 lbs. beating my old record by a full 2 lbs. For reasons I won't get into it had to come home with us and will take it's place on the wall next to my other beast. We took 12 fish total this morning all but one were 40" or better and we had fish breaking all over the place all morning. All the fish had sea lice on them making me think they are new arrivals inshore from offshore. We were free lining the bunker on 50 lb. braid with a 5-6 foot 100 lb. mono leader tied to a giant Frenzy circle hook which was unfortunately stolen on the next drift by a large bluefish. The water temp was 64-65 deg. and the water depth was 10 ft. Hooked the bunker through the nose and let them do their thing. This fish had what looked like a birds scull in it's stomach and that was it. I filleted it last night and the meat was no different than a 30-40" fish same texture and consistentcy except a hell of a lot more of it. We will be having some of it for dinner at some point and I have several friends and neighbors who have been begging for some fish fillets so the fish will not go to waste like my last one which makes me feel better. There were fish breaking all over the place all morning, bass, blues and albies all in the mix, we did attempt to cast to some pods of Albies and Bass/Blues but honestly could not pull ourselves away from the unbelieveable big bass bite for very long. All the fish we caught yesterday 12 total and all over 36" had Sea Lice on them making me think they are new arrivals from offshore to the inshore waters. Let me hear what you all think about that theory. It was an awesome morning and I finally broke out of my fishing slump in a big way. And now back to your regularly scheduled programming..............

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2006, 11:30 AM

For perspective we took a shot of a 39" fish that we did release after the picture next to the big fish it is a silly comparison and gives you a real idea of how big a fish a 50+ lb. bass is. As you can see there were some very large bluefish around as evidenced by the 1/2-3/4 eaten bunker in the back of the transom. All of those were one bite misses.... The morning bite was almost all bluefish except for the big fish, we went back later in the afternoon for the incoming tide and under a bright sun it was all bass. Packs of them chasing the live bunker around on the surface, I wish I had video of it because it is a site to behold. No exaggeration the bunker never lasted more than 1 min. once they hit the water, just an unreal amount of fish around right now.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:17 PM
fish'n Hobo

WOW!
Hey Mike ....... ummmm ahhhhhh ......
I can trailer down that way on a days notice.

nice job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2006, 12:45 PM

Jim,
You wouldn't be thinking of going to the dark side now would you?????

DISCLAIMER: This is not FLYFISHING!!!!

But I will assure you it is a blast and it is FISHING! We did some flyfishing yesterday but frankly I will never see a fish like that on the flyrod PERIOD! So being the consummate all-tackle all-technique fisherman that I strive to be I fed them what they wanted and viola 2.5 yrs. after my first huge bass I had lightning strike twice on me. I put in many hours and miles in pursuit of these big fish and if the deal is that you get to catch one every couple of years I can live with that. But there is a guy I have read about up in RI who has well over 50 bass over 50 lbs. to his credit so I think if you practice your craft and put your time in you will be rewarded. What made this possible is the fact that the bunker are finally making somewhat of a comeback and this is only the second year in my life I have seen bunker east of say Branford, CT. There are huge amounts of bunker in the eastern sound and this is very good for the fishing and for the fish. And believe me when I tell you it is a bit more difficult than just snagging some live bait and throwing over the side. There is a bit more knowledge that goes into it. But I will admit it is not bonefish on the beautiful flats of Belize, or Permit in Florida those pursuits take far too much patience than I have left in my weary body.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:06 PM
fish'n Hobo

Ahhhhh Mike

I too am truely a universal man....
pogies and eels have seen the end of my "other" fishing rods.

In fact my son got a 42 lber on a eel a few years back!
But..... I do have some nice 12" bunker flies!

In any event .... looks like a great outing.... and what a fantastic photo!
Old 10-01-2006, 02:37 PM

Jim,
If I had a different crew it would have been quite possible to tease some of these fish with the live bunker and then toss them a huge big eye baitfish type pattern and I bet you would get bit. They were getting all fired up in packs of 6-10 fish everytime we would throw another baitfish out, the packs would come up and play volleyball with them until the biggest one decided to end the fun and run away with the "toy".
Old 10-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Wow

OMFG...the side by side photo is ridiculous.

Nice work my man.

It would be an even better picture if you put my largest fly caught bass of the season next to those 2 bass. I haven't caught a keeper all year.

Thanks for the post,

Mike
Old 10-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Squire animal

Hey Striper... Great catch, no mistake and a red letter day for sure.

Would you mind if I use that photo, for a rear cover shot, in a UK based magazine?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Squire animal

PS: I'll send you a free copy of the Mag!
Old 10-01-2006, 05:46 PM

holy fajole. that's one big mother *&$%@#^ fish. congratulations
Old 10-01-2006, 05:53 PM

SteveO,
Send me an email address and I will send you the original high res photo and some others that you are welcome to use. And do please mail me a copy when it is finished.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:42 PM

Unbelievable! That's UUUU..ge!

Could not have happen to a more deserving fisherman. Nice guys do finish first.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:37 PM

Thanks Ray,
You are the BEST! It still gives me some sorrowful feelings to have been the hand that dealt the final blow to this beautiful fish but I guess if you fish you will kill some fish at some point. The only real way to keep from killing these or any fish is to not fish at all and that is not happening in my lifetime. I will keep trying to find a way to catch and release really big fish successfully, this one was solidly hooked in the jaw with a huge circle hook but still did not survive. Maybe just too old and grey to survive a hook and line battle. I am convinced that if hooked and landed on fly tackle this fish is a sure goner after taking two now on heavy tackle. At least this one will not be watsed like my first fish which was molded and thrown in the garbage, that hurts worse than anything won't make that mistake again.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:43 AM

Great shots Mike , glad your back in action, beats wearing that neck brace.
FishHawk.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:25 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

HOLY COW!

Amazing beast... congratulations!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.