Southern Mass in the Summer - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2006, 07:50 AM

Southern Mass in the Summer

I need your help! It looks like a family gathering is in the works for next summer. We will most likely be congregating around the New Bedford area. It's early in the plannning right now and I'll have some input as to when we get together. So, my question is: what month would you guys recommend? I've done stripers and blues and enjoyed them both but would like to possibly target other species as well. When do I have the most species available to chase? I'm sure that we'll be employing a guide so I'm trying to get recommendations on them as well.
Basically put, as residents of the area what is your favorite month of the summer? I'm probably looking at June, July, or August.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2006, 09:23 AM
Pencil me in.....

I am a resident of the area and know at least four guides. I would target the third week in August. The water is warm enough to bring in some of the more exotic species and the Striper bite is actually pretty good at that time as well (not as good as June but they can be had in a number of spots nearby). There is plenty of fine fishing within a 20 to 30 min boatride from NB Harbor so if you prefer to keep the day on the water short that is your best option. You may also consider taking the fast ferry from NB to the Vineyard an using a guide or two on the Island. It actually takes less time to get to the Vineyard from NB than it does to get to Chatham. Very convenient service. A trip to Cuttyhunk is also straightforward on some of the smaller ferries.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Jonesin...

I would agree with JF that if your desire is to catch "Other Species" that mid-late August would be the best time out of the options you gave. I would contact Joe Leclair for the guide. Joe is one of the best tuna on fly guides around, runs a cat that can get through the slop if the weather isn't ideal and is also a great guy to put you on a "once in a lifetime" size bass on the fly. I should add the disclaimer that I haven't fished with Joe personally but I know a number of guys who have that I respect and they have nothing but good things to say about his skills and desire to put you on fish.

Sean
Old 09-29-2006, 11:19 AM

Great info guys, keep it coming. Sounds like June would be the month for stripers and blues?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Pencil me in.....

Correct, early June is better for Stripers because the shoreline migration is going on. But if some of your clan likes the Beach go with mid August. Another note, when you ask about guides on this board you are likely to get answers limited to light tackle guides because of the scope of this website. Their boats are usually limited to a few anglers. There are charters from the New Bedford area that offer "roomier" boats for a group, if you so desire.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbasser
Another note, when you ask about guides on this board you are likely to get answers limited to light tackle guides because of the scope of this website. Their boats are usually limited to a few anglers. There are charters from the New Bedford area that offer "roomier" boats for a group, if you so desire.

Thanks for the heads up. I only need room for myself and one other so I think you guys are steering me in the right direction.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've been on these boats basser, and they are fun. They are roomy enough to bring a very large cooler.

And you can even bring a second one for fish
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Pencil me in.....

New Bedford Harbor is quite a bit different these days....Now that my wife no longer takes the helm of one of her Father's draggers for the Blessing of the Fleet...Those were some scary "cruises"
Old 10-02-2006, 02:56 PM

Hey guys,
Anyone have anything to add? I'm going to try to set up a guide by the end of the week.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.