Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2006, 12:13 PM

It is one thing to be certain but you can be certain and be wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2006, 01:30 PM

Dave & Salar-1,

Thanks for the replies. I don't dispute Dave's 1800$ per fish number, my 620$ per salmon is strictly the license cost, which is the part of the expenses I have to report and justify to my wife..

Dave,

Good explanation on how the ZEC's came about. Obviously, the idea I mentioned of selling a portion of the licenses to the highest bidder, would never be accepted if it included a big portion of the season. For instance, auctioning off 50% of the rod-days would require the catch to improve by 100% so the non-auctioned days would catch as much as before, which may be a bit too ambitious for most of your rivers.

Auctioning off 20%, however, does only require a better than 25% increase in the total catch for residents and other "lottery" anglers to catch more fish, even if they would have 20% fewer days to compete for. In my opinion, the current 20% that you say the ZEC's are free to distribute might be just the right ratio, and local outfitters with an established client base should be in the best position to buy those licenses. At the end of the day, the goal of the whole excercise should be fat and happy salmon stocks, more fish for everyone and more business for the locals. I agree with you that earmarking the ZEC's extra income for "salmon only" efforts is the way to go, and I would not be surprised if resident anglers would be more positive towards selling licenses to outfitters, if the extra revenue was more clearly being spent on the salmon itself. Either way, this is for you people up in Quebec to decide, although I feel you have a "moral duty" to listen to ideas from outsiders on how to nurture your priceless resource.....

Salar-1,

Thanks for the info on the unreported catches, this may be just what I need to persuay my better half that the fishing is worth the drive from Massachusetts up to Gaspe.

Ari
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2006, 05:03 PM

Location: Gaspe Peninsual, Petite and Grand Cascapedia, Bonaventure, Nouvelle etc...
Dear Sun Ztu,

I have been wrong before, I am CERTAIN of this. I will be wrong again, I am also quite CERTAIN of this.

As per the subject that you elude to whereas you suggest that the outfitters here are trying to take over, I am CERTAIN, that this is not the case and can easily defend that position, although I really do not see the point as I would simply be defending those who can defend themselves easily enough. As for me and my past life as an outfitter, you would be hard pressed to find any control conspiracy on my end as I had always scratched for whatever I got and certainly never controlled anything. If you are so CERTAIN about me being wrong, please bring forth your best arguments and proof, and I would certainly be happy to debate that subject with you.

For someone who is still hiding behind their username, it certainly would appear that you have something to hide from.

If I read your homewaters and location correctly, you are my neighbor here in Cascapedia, perhaps you would like to enlighten us all in regards to the private camps that occupy 77% of the total main river waters here on our river. Would you go out on a limb and say that they are trying to control everything?

Again, I am very anxious to find out where you are getting, or, how you are formulating your accusations. Certainly, if you are so sure, you will not mind telling us all how you have come to this conclusion and who you are.

CERTAINLY someone who offers such grandiose accusations should be ready to reveal themeselves.

You can be certain that I will be awaiting your reply,

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Ztu
It is one thing to be certain but you can be certain and be wrong

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.