Would you have kept it? - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2006, 05:38 AM

Would you have kept it?

This picture was posted on one of the British boards, cracking fish but would you have returnd it?
I would like to think I would, but a photo would be nice.

It was caught on the Alta in Norway.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2006, 07:31 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Of course not.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:49 AM

Pushing 50 maybe...would have had to go back. Must have been a hell of a sleigh ride.

-Chris
Old 10-15-2006, 09:07 AM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Good Question!

Willie,

I think that the mere fact that you ask this question exhibits that you have second thoughts as to what you would have really liked to do. Perhaps your intention to post this picture was to show off a great catch which is something that all of us love to do. Or maybe you feel a little guilty thus wanting some validation. Or maybe a combination of the two. Regardless of your intention, I am sure that you, as well as many of us, are looking at things quite differently today and releasing our trophies, which we all know now helps preserve our sport.

In the old days, as you very well know, the thought of releasing such a magnificent fish never crossed our minds. We fished, we killed. Small, big, didn't matter. No thought. I would never have given it a second thought to kill this fish 20 years ago. But now I do think.....as you are, right now, with your post. Luckily, I have experienced great salmon fishing and have caught big fish on C+R water, and had to release them.....no option. I took what ever pictures I could prior to the release. But at least I got the chance to feel what it was like to not carry my trophy back to the truck. It felt great, especially knowing that I met with this magnificant creature and rewarded it with its freedom after it blessed me with it's magnificents.

After not fishing salmon since my days of C+R on the Kharlovka, Litza, Varzugga and Pana, my recent season on the Gaspe was quite enlightening. Approx 1/3 of all salmon returning to the Matane were REPORTED captured. I am going to assume that most were killed. Even though I must have been aware of those percentages 30 years ago, I gave it no mind. But now, after many pictures and many adventures, and with more maturity, I see things differently. Perhaps you do to, as you are posing a question you would never have asked 30 years ago.

I cannot validate your kill. If you feel OK about it, its your choice, and I cannot not pass judgement or validate. I also have some kill portraits with me holding a dead beauties, all hanging in my study. But today, we all think....as you are doing. Each one of us now knows there is a choice, and each one of us will act accordingly, as to the time and place, and our own decisions at those specific times. The good thing now is that at least we are all thinking now, and some of us know by experience, that we dont have to kill in order to feel the accomplishment. This I learned in Russia, and have many great pictures of released trophies. They hang in my study along with the "old" kill trophies of yester-year. No flesh on earth is as valuable as the life of a brood stock Atlantic Salmon.

Howie.

Last edited by Venture; 10-15-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:28 AM

Howie.

Not my fish (un) fortunately, I never had to make the decision. I think I would have returned it.

Hell I would never have worn sandals like that!!!!!!

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 10-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

If the fish is bleeding badly despite your best efforts, there is no point to return the fish, it is a waste.

Some rivers in Iceland ( West Ranga for example) can naturally spawn a small number ( less than 20) of native salmon secondary to volcanic lava bottoms but have huge smolt release programs that support a rod catch of over 4000 ( to 15 rods). In this case fish are caught for the smolt release brood stock and the rest are killed, and why not. This is put and take basically after you get back the brood stalk.

My point is that there are some cases that I think are worth killing a large Atlantic Salmon, otherwise as things stand today, these fish should go back to the water.

Tight Lines,

Jim Y
Old 10-15-2006, 01:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I definitely wouldn't have kept it. I haven't actually kept a fish in a very long time, not since I was a kid and we used to bring home a few big panfish and maybe a bass or two to throw on the grill.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:37 PM

I would have probably put it back, not because I think its not right to kill a fish of such size more the fact that the bloody thing would not fit in the freezer. Seriously though my family could never eat that much salmon so what would be the point of killing it, 2 grilse would make better eating anyway. I would make sure that I got all its measurements and 3 or 4 photos so that I could have a good quality cast made and then would have to put an extension on the back of the house so I could have a wall big enough to hang it on.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:08 PM

I would have kept him/her alive and brought her across the pond to the Malbaie to get some of those monster genetics bred into our stock!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:25 AM
chromedome

Smile

I don't feel under any circumstances it makes sense or is right to keep a fish like that.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:01 AM

Malcom
Hey great question !! Personally I think the sandals are OK but what's with the pantyhose ?
Seriously though, Yeah I'd chuck it back also ,unless as Jim mentioned it probably wouldn't survive.
It IS interesting though ,that the recent keeping of a large fish such as as this one with the resulting notoriety has generated an increase in rod activity and C&R afterwords on the concerned river . So out of one" bad" action on the Grande Cacapedia and 3 or 4 on The Pat. has resulted in increased fishing activity and in the case of the Patapedia, a substantial increase !! Both rivers are now well noted for their C&Ring.
Seen fish in this 40lb class on the Matapedia,Madeleine , Patapedia (lots) ,Cap Chat, Petite (lots)and York.
Cheers
Old 10-16-2006, 02:21 PM

Would you have kept it?

Not being a biologist, Could a fish of this size and age be able to spawn??

I once saw one even bigger in Milnikek, It had to be 60 Plus pounds.

Anyway, after the battle, if it was lengthy (which is likely) and water temperatures high, The fish may not have made it. Could you even revive it??

Yes, I have a bunch of the older photos from the early 80's when I had 20-pound fish smoked in the early years and a bunch of stories of the ones that got away that were so near to landing. They seemed huge at the time. and dissapopinting. BUT, I was always taught the saddest part is when the salmon is in the net which eventually got the point accross and I was not so unhappy when I would lose the big ones.

TODAY , No question Release It, Back then, I would have lost it anyway.

For all I know, They may have Gaffed it if it was on a fjord so the point may be moot.

One thing for sure, Today, this angler returns all large Salmon happily .
Old 10-18-2006, 11:39 PM

HUH ???

Bill
You mentioned hauling that Salmon from Norway to Malbaie River !!!
Imagine the cost !Let's see ,the quickest way to get that fish from Norway to Gaspe is to use either a Grumman G5 or a Global .Hey ,ya can get one for free by offering a freebee at the lodge. Cost zero to you and 'plane owner ? nothing .
Flight planned Norway direct Bonaventure Airport will take 30000 lbs of aviation fuel.Depending on temp we got about 5000 U.S. gallons HMMMMM let's taxright that off as a "saving the environment" gesture ! Pollution created by aircraft exhaust gasses ,HMMMMMMM , screw it it's a "good for the Earth " gesture. Damage to Ozone while at cruise altitude (caused by O1 scrubbers converting the preciuos ozone to O2 ,so folk and the Salmon on board may have oxygen to breath) ,again &*%%$ the planet I'm saving broodstock here . Cost to the Canadian taxpayer? What about $55000 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by billg
I would have kept him/her alive and brought her across the pond to the Malbaie to get some of those monster genetics bred into our stock!
Old 10-19-2006, 02:50 PM
stop killing wild fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar-1
Bill
You mentioned hauling that Salmon from Norway to Malbaie River !!!
Imagine the cost !Let's see ,the quickest way to get that fish from Norway to Gaspe is to use either a Grumman G5 or a Global .Hey ,ya can get one for free by offering a freebee at the lodge. Cost zero to you and 'plane owner ? nothing .
Flight planned Norway direct Bonaventure Airport will take 30000 lbs of aviation fuel.Depending on temp we got about 5000 U.S. gallons HMMMMM let's taxright that off as a "saving the environment" gesture ! Pollution created by aircraft exhaust gasses ,HMMMMMMM , screw it it's a "good for the Earth " gesture. Damage to Ozone while at cruise altitude (caused by O1 scrubbers converting the preciuos ozone to O2 ,so folk and the Salmon on board may have oxygen to breath) ,again &*%%$ the planet I'm saving broodstock here . Cost to the Canadian taxpayer? What about $55000 ?
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.