Midfjardara - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2006, 06:41 AM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Midfjardara

Anyone fished the Midfjardara lately. The last time I went there was in 1980. Had plenty of fish in the 10 - 15 lb range, with one 20 lb. But I was lucky because prior to my arrival it the water was low yet three days of rain brought the entire run into the river ( around Aug 1 ).

How does that river fish normally?......if one can call anything normal about salmon fishing. And how does July 17 - July 23 sound?

As I said, I havent been there in over 25 years, and remember it was a beautiful river to fish. But things can happen over all those years.... so any current information on this river would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Howie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006, 08:31 PM

Howie,

I haven't fished this river, but I know a few people who have been there in recent years. My cousin commented on the Nupsa river, the smallest of the three branches which form the main river, to be particularly productive. Midfjardara is still split into the five 2-rod beats as it has been for a long time, it is currently fly-only, and the 2006 season gave about 900 salmon. You can see the exact number by checking out www.angling.is and click on the "Islenska" button, which shows the Icelandic page and the season total for the rivers with the highest catches.
You'll probably see a lot fewer big fish and more grisle than you saw in 1980, Midfjardara has followed the national trend in Iceland of declining early runs of large fish but steady runs of grisle. Late July should be a good time anyway, as long as you don't hit a long drought.

Good luck,

Ari
Old 10-17-2006, 06:27 AM

hi howie,

a friend of me was there this august. he caught in 3 days 15 grilse. he is in love with this river. because the river is so scenic.

regards chris
-black forest, germany-
Old 10-17-2006, 08:53 AM

Howie,

Quick correction, the 2006 season total for Midfjardara was 1208. One other thing which has changed in Iceland since 1980, shrimp imitations such as Frances, Krafla and Snaelda have become the most popular flies, either because they are so effective on the grisle or because they are used excessively (or a little bit of both).

Good luck,

Ari
Old 10-17-2006, 08:59 AM

hi howie,

a friend of me was there this august. he caught in 3 days 15 grilse. he is in love with this river. because the river is so scenic.

regards chris
-black forest, germany-
Old 10-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

Fished the river for a week in 2003, it is very pretty. They were killing a large number of the fish caught by rod then, with a huge freezer in front of the lodge. The pools are gin clear and many times you could see the fish you were casting to. Small "micro tubes" that are fished like a hitch on the top are quite popular and readily taken by the grilse. Salmon were taken the week I was there ( last week of July) and many were seen in the pools, but the grilse run was on.

I heard tales that after the fly fishing season ends each year, locals go through the pools with worms or spinners to clear them out.

There are 3 main branches, each with runs in them depending on water and thre year.The river system could easily be one of the best in the world I think if they moved a little towards C&R.

I brought my wife with me for some sight seeing as there is alot to do besides fish. I would definately go back in the future.

Tight Lines,

Jim Y
Old 10-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Thanks for the updates. Actually I decided to pass on the Midfjardara after I heard the costs to fish there, and that the primary fishery was grilse. I was there in 1980 and caught only salmon. Some were quite good with the largest being around 9-10 kilos. I never even saw a grilse. I guess things changed. Not only did the price go from $2,500 USD per rod (1980) to close to $10,000 USD per rod (today), but now it seems that grilse dominate the waters. I wonder why there are so many grilse now, while 26 years ago, all I caught were nice salmon?

I thought the river was quite beautiful and it fished very well.....but FOR ME, if I were to spend that kind of money, I would be on the Kharlovka and the Litza. Thanks anyway for the endorsements. It is truely a great river system.

And since the time I posted this question on the forum, I just signed a deal to buy a camp on the Matane river. No comparison to the Midfjardara, but for me, I love the Matane for sentimental purposes and its beauty, and the camp I bought is right on a great stretch of water and is very private. So I am SIKED. So next year it will be the Cascapedia, the Bonaventure, the Matane and the Matapedia. I'm OK with that schedule.

Howie

Last edited by Venture; 10-17-2006 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.