Fall Flies for Plymouth/CC ponds and rivers - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 07:05 AM
6th Year Apprentice

Fall Flies for Plymouth/CC ponds and rivers

Hi,

the trout rod is on order but I was wondering what fly patterns i should use this time of year - i have PTNs, Hares ears, Klinks.

colours and sizes would be a help too.

can anyone also recommend a make of fluoro for the tippet as i am not familiar with US brands.

cheers

Mark.
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006, 07:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I'd go with bead head (or weighted) woolly buggers as my primary fly.

I use Orvis tippets and have been for years without any issues.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Shore or canoe / boat?

I like streamers for aggressive trout at dawn and dusk, just walk the shoreline and cover water in 'search' mode. I would often outfish the spin guys that way.

Mid-day a wooly bugger in black fished deep would produce consistently, unless there was a hatch going on where you just match what's going on in the particular pond you're on.

Keep in mind there are huge atlantics in Long Pond.

Believe it or not there are thriving wild brook trout populations if you know how to find them in Plymouth.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2006, 07:41 AM
6th Year Apprentice

sorry - i should have said shore.

so what hatches should i expect, and what flies to match ?

mark
Old 09-25-2006, 07:58 AM

You see caddis and small mayflies but frankly in fall I fish the cape ponds for meat-eaters (streamers). There certainly is no lack of action during the wee hours as the more acclimated holdover fish (previous year stockings) hunt the shoreline for the plentiful minnows then. Further north I have seen trout eat a frog.

If you fish Cliff Pond in Brewster (recommended) you will frequently see millions of herring fry in the fall. This source of protein does not get ignored by every capable predator in the pond including brood stock salmon up to 20#. Many fish are tuned into the fry.

I also like the 4 other ponds in that park, Sheeps Pond in Brewster, Scargo in Dennis, just to name a few Mid-cape spots. Probably the best dry fly action will come from Higgins Pond, a reclaimed trout pond with excellent hold-overs. Cliff is also 97ft deep and has excellent holdover, I've caught rainbows that were as sleek and silver as steelhead and the meat was as red as a salmon.

But Long Pond right in your neighborhood as well as secret spots in Miles Standish have excellent trout fishing in Plymouth. Not to mention a little known population of sea run brookies in Town Brook!
Old 09-25-2006, 08:25 AM
6th Year Apprentice

thanks Juro, i was planning to take a look at the Little and Lout Ponds as they are in the TU book, so i will check out the town brook.

in terms of the brookies i was thinking more of the Quashnet C&R area, but the same question applies - what flies ? and i guess also how do i fish for them ? salmon style, swinging flies, or upstream trout style ?

any books anyone can recommend on 'salters' would be really welcome.

btw- I was also thinking that a certain pond in myles standish is also worth a look.

mark.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:15 AM

Quashnet has mostly browns as far as I know, that's all I've seen there caught or swimming. May be some brookies too.

Don't ignore little Sandwich Crk either - brookies there but a farming operation may influence their success as I think they might have the whole creek netted off.

Stony Brk Brewster has searun brookies as well. Best to release these gems to propagate the species, although I am guilty of eating one as a teenager.

My best advice for searuns browns - don't bother fishing for them until night is about to fall. Then they are not very particular and can be caught on anything that represents a meal. In fact a guy I was with caught a nice one on a kastmaster spoon with a big ugly rust-stained bucktail on it at dusk after the entire group pulling the big zero all day at Scorton Creek. They were hitting everything in sight at that point.

I caught a nice one on a shrimp pattern but I think a lefty's deceiver would have taken more fish in retrospect.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:44 AM
6th Year Apprentice

thanks very much for the info - i have ordered about $40 of flies to get me started , including some LMB flies as I've never caught one of those either.

the sea run browns we call 'sea trout' in the UK ( same strain as the monsters in Tierra del Fuego, Chile/Argentina which go to 30lb) and they also take mostly at night - the smaller specimens can be caught during the day - but most people wait for an hour after dusk before they even start to fish so as not to disturb the pools.

the flies are typically large streamers ( 6 or 8) such as Stoats tails, blue badgers or Silver doctors, or tube flies, some streamers have a stinger. the general pattern for flies seems to be a silver body or tube with a blue or black wing/collar so i am not suprised a silver spoon did the job. A flash of red or yellow is also often added.

these trout are also caught in places like Wales on skated dry flies or mouse flies.

the exciting thing about them is that even in very small streams in the UK, that although the majority of fish will be in the 1-3lb mark some of the sea trout will multi winter and run to 10/12lb pounds.

I would imagine the same would be the case for any CC streams given the richness of the surrounding ocean, and you probably wouldn't notice they were there unless you fished in the dead of night for them with big flies or sinking lines or skated a big dry fly for them.

thinking about it, I may now have invest in a 7/8 wt for next spring.

mark.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:16 AM

November is also cited as a top month for sea runs in this area
Old 09-26-2006, 08:01 AM
Flats Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
November is also cited as a top month for sea runs in this area
Anyone for a Thanksgiving Sea-run clave?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:45 AM
6th Year Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian
Anyone for a Thanksgiving Sea-run clave?
I would but i will on the Chesapeake chasing Stripers with one of my in-laws

I think the larger sea trout run late spring in Wales.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:13 AM

You know a lot more about it than I, I did catch one just under 24" probably 20 years ago when Ken Reback was running the anadramous program out of the Sandwich hatchery.

Might be worth investigating whatever happened to that program. It was a treat to see those returning browns in their holding tanks. What a gorgeous fish.

New Hampshire has also had some success with returning searuns.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:05 PM
6th Year Apprentice

Adrian/Juro

as a postscript to this

someone in CT did go fishing for sea run browns, and caught a CT record at 10.5lbs i believe.

(i tried to put the pic up, but it just appeared as a link, which i think are not allowed ?)

nice anyway.

PM me if you want the link

Mark.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.