Clave Update - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2006, 02:42 PM
resigned

Clave Update

I went back out in the boat and found JimW and Chuck zooming by. Hailed them down and we were all into bluefish near the Middle Clump rips. When that slowed we headed west towards the Thames River hoping for tuna on the outgoing. Ended up at Harkness Beach and another bluefish frenzy. We fished in the company of Page Rogers there. May have spotted an Albie. Caught it out the corner of my eye. Fish Hawk called from Napatree and said he got into some fish on the inside. JimW did a little sight fishing at Sandy Point with some success. Today turned into a Ct. thing. The RI reefs were barren of any birds and topwater action. Greg D is still out there fishing in the Ox. He arrived a little late. Jim and Greg are now headed to the breachways in hopes of an outgoing Albie bite. I've not heard from anyone else. Looks like Saturday will be windy with high surf but there is protection from the wind in some spots on the inside where the fish seem to be anyway. We meet tonight at Burlingame Park for discussion as to Saturdays gameplans. Please drop by if you get a chance. Just look for
im's white Hydra Sport. The campsite is 600 something.

Phil
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2006, 02:55 PM
LBFF Mojo

Looks like my cell # was wrong on the list....

I am headed out in another 30 minutes or so. Will be starting east of newport and working my way west. Depending on the swell I plan to be fishing after dark surfside around the nargansett area. There are some fish around these parts and korkers are needed. Anyway call me at 401dash473dash8733 if you want. Will be out late...

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 03:54 PM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
Looks like my cell # was wrong on the list....

I am headed out in another 30 minutes or so. Will be starting east of newport and working my way west. Depending on the swell I plan to be fishing after dark surfside around the nargansett area. There are some fish around these parts and korkers are needed. Anyway call me at 401dash473dash8733 if you want. Will be out late...

-sean
Sorry Sean. Good luck tonight.

Phil
Old 09-22-2006, 04:03 PM

The surf was pretty high today and you really have to know your stuff to fish it correctly. Saw some fish working and gave it a try. Nada, not my strong suit. need more practice. Talked to a surfcaster who said he had a difficult time but that he caught some small schoolies. Showed me his lure and I matched it with a White Deceiver.
Fished the backside of Napatree where I hit pay dirt. One fish was close to 28" not bad considering the conditions on the other side.
Talked to Phil and we had a good chat.Will be down tomorrow in the high wind to give it another try. There was a huge school of porgies or bunker in Watch Hill Harbor. I mean massive. Now once they turn the corner all hell might break loose.
I love Napatree point , reminds me of the Cape.
FishHawk
Old 09-22-2006, 04:17 PM

Checking in from Narragansett to Matunuck by boat this Friday Morning.

Plenty of rainbait this morning in pockets off East Matunuck Beach. Conditions looked great with a new moon tide @ 8:25 am. Swells were spaced out, but the surf was tremendous sometimes breaking 7 feet along the shore. Beach water dirty again with plenty of weed. No sign of hartails or bass. A few bluefish were caught before the bait disappeared.

Looked like there were 20 fly fishers on West Wall. Nothing doing there either since most of the bait stayed off shore.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:52 AM
LBFF Mojo

Fished the surf last night and there are fish around. Started at sachuest point and fish were easy to hook but all but impossible to land due to the high surf. Just had a tough time finding a safe place to land them but still fun picking fish up out of 6 foot waves.

Then over to pt. judith where 3 us all caught fish. Nothing really large but consistent. Time for a nap...

-sean

Last edited by sean; 09-23-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:01 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

I fished around watchill light and reefs. Fishfinder was marking all kinds of stuff before it died, lots of big jellyfish in the water and weed from the surf. Nothing biting around the reefs for me. Worked in very close to the rocks around watchill light, used the Atlantis to cast into the rocks on shore and striped out. Lot's of hookups with weed and rocks, lost a couple flies. All the surfcasters couldn't deal with the big surf, some just sat down and watched the boaters like me work the area. Surfers had a blast with the big waves.

Had a couple good shots at hard tails later in the day, didn't have the right recipe ready when they showed up. Not much happening offshore from what I or Jim found outside of the bluefish west. Wish I'd found that huge school of bait Fishhawk found, I was wondering were it went, they were up inside the river in the morning and it was great fishing for awhile.

Wind picked up and got abit nasty just before sunset. It was a nice day on the water though.

Greg.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Pencil me in.....

My daughters boyfriend Dave and I met up with FishHawk this am at the Eastern shore...Hawk put us into some nice 6 wt. shad on the incoming..Heard from Bonefishmon as they were heading East...had breakfast and a few of us fished inside Matunuck abit with no love....ArtB showed me some great flies and we headed North and Fishmon back West...the fish to be had seem to be up inside..

Good luck tonight and tomorrow guys

Heard from Adrian...he was on his way
Old 09-23-2006, 09:40 PM
resigned

I fished with Art and Gary Burton this morning. Slow going. Went to Snug Harbor to meet up with FishHawk, John Basser and Dave. Squall came through and they headed for the hills. ArtB, not one to give up, headed his new ride in the direction of the Quonny breachway. We waited out the tide but nothing. I headed home for a nap and fellow claver Quentin called and off to Watch Hill I went. No nap. Quentin did quite well both Friday and Saturday. The bass bite was on most of the day on both days for Quentin. Was great to fish with him again caught some schoolies together.
Grizz appered after spending Friday and Saturday on the Cape. Was great to see him again. His cape report will follow. When Quentin, Grizz and I headed back to the car to wait for Adrian, Jim Whalen and his friend showed up. They will be doing the nite bite and we'll hear from them tomorrow after they get some sleep. FlyFishMich, Rick Darby arrived safely in Matunuck after a 14 hr. drive and will be fishing with whoever is still standing on Sunday. I'm going to bed. Up at 5:30 for work.
All around thanks to everyone attending. May do another in October.

Phil
Old 09-24-2006, 09:03 AM

Thanks Phil for putting together the Clave. Glad you got into fish with Quintin.
Had a great time talking to Art B. He knows some of the pioneers in flyfishing like Al Brewester. Good fishing with the Basser and Dave. Missed seeing Adrian but I know we'll hook up one of these days. Sorry I missed Grizz.
We'll all have to have a wee dram one of these days.
FishHawk
Old 09-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Flats Rat

I got down to SoCounty Saturday evening and met Grizz at Napatree. While I was setting up, Quentin came back shortly followed by JimW and Chuck (or Chuck-2 to avoid confusion ).

After a bit of strategizing, we decided dinner would be in order to cover the turn of the tide and then hit Weakapauge for the outgoing. W.B. Cody's on Route 1 did us proud and we got to Weakapauge around 10:00 pm. Grizz and I worked the beach at some likely spots for a couple of hours without a tap. On the way back to the lot, we met up with JimW and Chuck-2 again but they hadn't connected. Checked out Matunuk but the weed was impossible. Finished up at the state pier in Jerusalem and found loads of shad circling under the lights hassassing bait.

Sunday morning we went back to Napatree at first light and found a few bass on the inside. Grizz headed out late morning and I worked the inside back to the harbor with Quentin. We found a couple more bass but it was slow compared to the previous day. There were a few pods of adult menhaden around the harbor with the odd bluefish stirring things up. It had the potential to develop into something epic but never quite got going.

I called it quits around nid-day and left Quentin to fish another day. Looking at the settled weather this morning I think the fishing will be great this week!

I'm sorry I missed so many of you Friday/Saturday, but between us we put in a lot of hours

Cudos to Phil for pulling this off once again
Old 09-25-2006, 12:44 PM

Chuck and I hit the harbor of refuge Saturday morning. We got into some big scary blues in the 6' slop at the East cut. The surf inside the jetty was managable but we only poked out a couple of hundred yards from the shelter of the walls for a few drifts. I couldn't really fish and be safe at the same time so we ducked back inside. 10-12lb blues were up either side of high tide when the squals came we bagged it and headed in. The rest of Saturday - see above.
Sunday we decided to head for home after fishing the late shift the night before.
I had a blast -
Phil, Great job on keeping the info flowing, I know first hand what a PITA the phone can be for the clave organizers - well done. It's too funny that we met up on the water out in LI sound, thanks for showing me around.

I only wish Chuck and I had headed down to Quonny to chat face to face with Art B. good talking to you on the phone though Art.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:20 PM
resigned

Yet another?

With a little nudge, this may only be the first round. Timing is everything in this game we call fishing. I think we should give it one more try as a last hurrah before the boats must come out and the neophrene gloves go back on.

October 21st Clave? Wherever the fishing is HOT. Putting the feelers out again.

Who's in?

Phil
Old 09-25-2006, 05:35 PM
resigned

A Prayer for ArtB.

As most of you know, Arthur was re-ended in an auto accident last year that broke his back but not his spirit. I've had the honor to fish with him and his son Gary twice in recent weeks. Art is a true testament to the fundamentals of saltwater flyfishing and one of Rhode Islands pioneers in the sport. We are what we are today thanks to the ArtB's and those that followed in his footsteps. He told me Saturday at the Clave that this may well be one of his last days on the water. I think not! His spirit and desire to fish will have him up and at it again soon.

He will have an operation to strenghten the broken vertebre on Wednesday. Please take a few moments during your day on Wednesday to think and pray for his well being and speedy recovery. He will be at the Rhode Island Hospital near Providence recuperating.

Thanks Art for all your fine contibutions to our beloved sport and thanks again for all your help at the Rhoddy Clave. Would not have been the same without you.
Best wishes and get well soon! We'll be waiting for ya!

Phil
Old 09-25-2006, 05:41 PM
swmmn w/ bwlggd wmmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefishmon
October 21st Clave? Wherever the fishing is HOT. Putting the feelers out again.

Who's in?

Phil
I should have my saltwater outfit by then. of course, my wife's due date is around then so i may have something else by then as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.