Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week – Picasse - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 05:01 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Howie
I've caught salmon on everything from size 8 doubles to size 1/0 singles. On the Gaspé I've usually used 6 doubles and 4 doubles. Sometimes I'll go to 2 & 1 singles. I'll be interested to hear what David recommends.
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have one of Charlie's ties of this pattern. Hesitant to fish it, I tied it on one day in the pacific northwest and it was just the ticket on summer steelhead. Still looks good.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-07-2009, 09:36 AM

Location: Gaspe Peninsual, Petite and Grand Cascapedia, Bonaventure, Nouvelle etc...
fly sizes

Hey Bill,

Although the Picasse was originally made to be fished very large, 2- 3/0, it evolved into a good small fly as well. I like to tie and use a single hook version of the fly as I think that most Spey type flies look and fish better on a single, however, that is just my personal opinion and I have absolutely no basis to go on other than what looks good to me!

The key to the Picasse is the spey hackle, which is usually Heron but can be substituted with other materials but the flies just do not end up looking the same. I use the very delicate hackles in natural black. These feathers flow incredibly well in the water.

Here is are the sizes I use and when I use them:

June - 1/0 2/0 even 3/0 if the water is super high. In lower water levels I will use a 2 or 4.

July - 2-4-6

August 6-8

September 6-4-2 early September and later I go back to the big uglies 1/0 and 2/0.

By the way, the Picasse looks really kick ass when tied on an Alec Jackson hook. Especially a silver one!!!

Remember, whenever it gets really cloudy or starts to rain, the first go to fly for the Gaspe is the Picasse! Well, at least it is MY go to fly. Then again, there are a ton of other good patterns to use so all I can say is fish what you have confidence in. After all it is not really the fly that makes the difference but the swing. Then again everyone knows that already - don't they??

Best

David
Old 03-07-2009, 09:41 AM

Location: Gaspe Peninsual, Petite and Grand Cascapedia, Bonaventure, Nouvelle etc...
Howie!

Sorry man, did not see your post...

I really do not tie the fly on anything smaller than 6 or 8 because the spey hackles are a bit hard to find and to work with in the smaller sizes. Like I said, the Picasse was originally tied to be a big fly.

What is really cool about the fly is that you can use any color wing you want without changing the body mats or spey hackle. This offers you the ability to have several different color Picasse's!

Will respond to your email soon, however, you know when you fish with me this summer that your boxes will most likely stay shut!! LOL! We will most likely use my flies.

Best to you and Anneke!
David
Old 03-07-2009, 10:50 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspe Salmon
Howie!

I really do not tie the fly on anything smaller than 6 or 8 because the spey hackles are a bit hard to find and to work with in the smaller sizes.
David
Coot works beautifully on smaller flies. It's a great "small" Spey hackle.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:30 AM
thread killer

If anyone can point me towards a source for yellow Kid Goat hair it would be appreciated. Been looking for a long time with no luck.

Thanks in advance.... Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.