Breaking rod in casting? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 08:19 PM

Breaking rod in casting?

Hi all, I have a question.

I just broke a Horizon II 8wt near the bottom of the tip section as well as the second section at the border(?) with the tip section. This happened about 50ft of the SA Bonefish taper floating line out of the tip in the forward stroke. The rod was bought new and has been used about 5 times, and has never been hit by a fly. It's been taken care of very well. I noticed that the coating on the snake guide wraps has been scraped and worn to the extent that expose a bit of the thread on one or two of the guides, simply due to friction with the fly line.

Is it my aggressive casting style that resulted in the breakage? But I thought that this rod is designed for people who have aggressive casting styles... Or was this just an isolated incident that occurred by chance (a flaw in the blank to begin with)? I have had several other T&T rods (but no other Horizon) and had never had this problem before. What do you all think about this sort of breakage? Does it happen fairly often?

I would much appreciate your feedback.

Fishordie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2006, 08:30 PM

sounds sketchy...
Probably the top section worked loose, and it broke from the impact of the two pieces during casting around the ferrules. As for the guide thing, that just doesn't seem right for a high end line like that.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:16 PM

Ferrule fit

Thanks for your post.

Actually, the ferrule was very tight and didn't play any role in this breakage, I believe. I periodically check all ferrules while fishing and tighten them when necessary, but it's usually those between the butt and the 3rd, and 3rd and 2nd sections that need to be tightened on this rod. The fit between the top and second section of this rod remains very tight for hours and hours. This incident occurred only about an hour and a half into the fishing.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:30 PM

this does sound odd. I have never seen or heard of fly line wearing away epoxy.
As for the break, it is possible that there was a defect. I suppose it is possible that damage occured un noticed by you untill the break. I have broked rods "just casting...honest" and I always assumed that there was a flaw either in the manufacter or more likely a small scratch or nick in just the right place.
send it back and for 35 bucks t&t will take care of you.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:30 AM
Middle Aged Member

I have broken a rod while casting. This occured after having had a weighted fly hit the tip when making a quick cast to breaking fish (wind on my casting arm). Any possibility the tip was scratched in such a manner prior to the fatal cast?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:43 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've seen this before in a couple of cases:

1) when landing a fish and over-flexing the tip (high sticking)

2) when shocking the rod due to off-timing of the stroke with a lot of line out

Since you said 'while casting', 50ft of line in the air and mentioned friction wear and agressive stroke my assumption would be that you would benefit from smoothing out your casting stroke, no offense intended and meant only from a fellow caster / instructor's point of view.

If you have a lot of line out and your stroke gets ahead of itself there can be a tremendous shock applied to the rod while forces are moving in opposite directions.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-19-2006, 03:45 PM

Fred A., Juro,

Thank you for your feedback. I honestly believe that there
was no chance for any prior damage done to the tip section
as I was babying this rod (I've had it for only 2 months).
Of course, I would have not noticed it if I had done some
internal damage that doesn't show any scratch or scrape
on the blank surface... (I had to grip the tip seciton pretty
hard to pull it apart from the second section after fishing
on a couple of occasions)

What Juro describes sounds like a possible explanation to me,
especially since there was some wind picking up, blowing
toward 2 or 3 o'clock (I'm right-handed) and messing with my
backcasts, and I was trying hard to beat that wind. The wind
on the Oahu is almost a constant nuisance for flyfishers. I may
have developed a bad habit from trying to beat the wind since
I moved here a year ago. I will watch my casting stroke more
carefully from the next time out.

Fishordie
Old 09-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Best thing to do is put the wind on the opposite side from the casting arm so that it's blowing across your body and pushing the line away from you.

That way you actually have to work less because the wind does half the work of loading the rod by increasing tension.

It might mean walking to another spot where you can change the angle.

Any of those big Hawaii bones lately?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-19-2006, 08:49 PM

Big bones

Thanks, Juro.

There have been some fish that I couldn't stop with a 10wt rod and 20lb tippet. One broke the butt of a 10wt rod. (Yes, it's kind of silly of me to be fishing with an 8wt rod, even though it's the Horizon... I use Helix 9wt about half of the time.) A friend of mine caught a 10-pounder in front of me, and I heard of an estimated 18-pounder (37" long) taken and released. The biggest one I've landed was about 8 to 9 pound so far. When I catch a bonefish, it's usually a 4-pounder or larger. On the other hand, I haven't caught many fish. I get skunked about half of the time. I guess that's the trade-off here - you tend to catch bigger fish, but fewer fish compared to other popular bonefishing locations. Well, but I'm new to bonefishing. So, you may catch MANY BIG bonefish here!

If you are interested in fishing the Oahu, it's probably the best to hire a guide (Nervous Water Flyfishers offer guide services, and I've heard that they are pretty good) If you want to try by yourself, let me know. I will tell you several good spots that I know of.

Fishordie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.