What do you drive? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2006, 01:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
What do you drive?

I'm just curious what everybody out there drives, and maybe a little info on why (especially as it pertains to fishing).

I have an Xterra which I bought because it's one of the few SUVs out there with a manual tranny, plus it's great for off roading and getting to any fishing spot you can imagine. It also has a basic interior that I don't mind getting dirty. I've gotten in more than a few times with wet waders on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2006, 06:11 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Like Juro, I've got a Toyota Tundra, although I got the V6 model so as to get at least a little bit of fuel economy, since I don't plan on having to tow anything (no plans for a boat). Love the 11 inch ground clearance and the big bed in back. Only wish they had the double cab model in V6 when I was buying- the rear crew cab is a bit tight for passengers.
Flydoc
Old 09-16-2006, 06:37 AM
swmmn w/ bwlggd wmmn

subaru outback wagons. good storage, great to drive, reliable, and AWD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2006, 08:11 AM

i had a pathfinder for 2 1/2 years which perfect: lots of room inside,and a luggage rack. i installed rod racks on the ceiling and a removable set of drawers where i kept reels, lines, spools, and my other stuff during the season. i had a series of baskets(oversized milk type crates) where i kept my waders stripping basket and other bulky items including changes of clothes etc. and it was all quite handy from the back of the suv. this car was great. then about a year and a half ago, i had a bit of good fortune so i gave the car to my oldest boy who is a teacher in dallas, and i bought an escalade ext pick-up. this vehicle is the balls! it's huge, rides great, powerful, and handles off road as well, if not better than the pathfinder or my wife's previous land cruiser. that said , the pick-up is not as well suited for fishing gear as the suv was. while the bed is big, it is not long enough to install rod racks on the sides that will accomodate anything other than a broken down multi piece. and putting rod racks on the sides is asking for trouble-stuff is going to hit the rods. while i can still utilise the set of drawers and baskets, the bed is so big that much space is wasted, and the drawers, baskets (and everything else) inevitably slide around, often to the rear of the bed and it's always a pain in the ass getting to it and hard to keep well organised. i oftten end up keeping my rods and other gear in the cab.crazy,i know. so, while i love the pick-up and could probably do a little more to make it more user friendly it is both a waste of space and not as pragmatic for organising as the suv.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:29 AM

Smile

FOrd Explorer Sport Trac.

I needed 4 doors and only medium payload. We haul around a lot of stuff for 3-5 days on the river
Old 09-16-2006, 02:56 PM

Well I don't off road nor beach it...so I went for reliability, price, function and fuel economy, given that I drive 2 1/2 hrs each way to the Cape in season. I have a Honda CRV...got the front (2) wheel drive model for gas mileage.....get 29 to 30 mpg going to the Cape @ 70-72 mph (shhhh)....can put my rod, all set up, in the vehicle and can carry whatever I want re household projects. The rear window lifts up so that I can put in long boards for projects. Re all wheel/4 wheel drive....I'm semi retired and set my own schedule...if it snows, I tie flies
Ron
Old 09-16-2006, 04:06 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Simple yet Toyota functional...

Good in the sand and able to fire on the run...
Only 17mpg and getting hard to find cheap 50 cal ammunition but "beach respect" is no longer an issue...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BeachPatrol.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	6077  
Old 09-16-2006, 04:39 PM

Xterra

Hi Penguin,
I also drive an Xterra. It is great in the sand, when I had the Blazer I use to have to air down to 18 PSI or I would bury it. Now I don't even have to let any air out, and have had no problems yet. Unless I get my operation before next Saturday the one's that go to the RI Clave will get a chance at seeing it operate.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dornblaser
We have a Honda Element as our fishing mobile. Manual Transmission, 4 WD and gets decent mileage. Easy clean interior is definitely a plus as the dog almost destroyed the leather in the "adult" mobile. Here is a pic of Lynn getting ready to pursue some steelhead.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:19 PM

Fishing, camping, fun: 88 Ford Bronco with 302 engine purchased used - 15 to 18 mpg. The best I've ever had for 4x mountain roads - it will climb anything and has good clearance. Just the rig for a muddy/wet black lab and pulling my drift boat. Everyday transportation: 92 Buick Lesabre with 3800 engine purchased used. Great gas mileage. I'm in less than 9K total for both and have put over 100k miles on each with no problems. Money not spent on newer vehicles goes to fishing for bones in Acklins, reds in Louisiana, salmon in BC and other high priority activities!!!
Old 09-17-2006, 12:25 AM
Pullin' Thread

A politically incorrect, good 'ol American made heavy duty 3/4 ton 4X4 V8 powered pickup truck with a topper covering up the bed to provide a great place to sleep and keep dry along with allowing me to carry all the gear I'll ever need for a trip. And as an added bonus, it allows me to park pretty much anywhere I wish along a river (or in the woods) for a place to sleep (or camp). The 4-wheel drive lets me go places those with only 2-wheel or front wheel drive cannot go. It doesn't get great gas mileage at about 15 MPG; but it will easily pull 12,000 pounds down the road if the need arises, carry a full cord of firewood, or up to 3800 pounds of whatever else I might wish to carry in its bed. Besides, it's paid for.

Our other vehicle is a Jeep Cherokee (the regular one that is no longer made, not the Grand Cherokee) 4X4. It gets in the low 20's for gas mileage with its inline 6 engine and also allows me to go places those without 4-wheel drive cannot go. It too is paid for.

Seriously folks, I think this is an ideal combination of vehicles. One can carry and haul anything I have a need to carry or haul in a trailer, and the other gets decent gas mileage, is very capable off-road, and can also carry quit a bit of gear. Politically incorrect vehicles, sure; but fly fishing is also a politically incorrect thing to do what with hurting those poor fishes from our hooks.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:45 AM

After many jeeps and trucks, got my "grown-up" car this year- GMC Yukon. Plenty of room for 3 kids and cargo space- smaller V-8 and i get the same mileage as I did with my Jeep Liberty. It, however, is not paid for.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Pencil me in.....

After partaking in the first "S-10" mini truck mini- SUV craze in my younger years...I am running a full-sized Z-71 and a Tahoe....plenty of power and room...nice seats..and automatic
Old 09-19-2006, 07:10 AM

fish car

2005 dodge magnum, AWD, 25 mpg on highway. Thule yak rack and yack on top. fly rod rack and dog screen/dog bed in back. wader box and yak box in back seat. GPS with every honey hole i know programmed in. lil fly reel on a chain around rear view mirror. spey fly, first light, NEKF, cranes res, and inspection stickers on front, signature fish boy logo on back. yes, its a hemi (RT)
Old 09-19-2006, 07:42 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've got 175,000 trouble free miles on my Tundra and can't say enough about it. In fact my michelins are approaching 100,000 miles on the vehicle which says a lot about the truck as well as the tires themselves.

Flytyer, Fords F-series are made in Canada and my Tundra was built in the states. In fact I read that US workers built 1.55 million units in 2005, that's a lot of paychecks.

So it's hard to say what's policitically correct nowadays I guess.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.