Deerfield River float - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2006, 09:10 AM

Deerfield River float

Yesterday I floated the Deerfield River from Fife Brook to just above the dry way with Harrison Anglers. Even though I have lived in the area almost all my life I had never fished this stretch of river. It is an absolutely beautiful place. The river winds down through a steep sided valley of tree- lined hillsides. It is going to be even more incredible when the leaves turn. The fishable water through here is almost endless. There are long deep pools, fast runs of broken water, pocket water, and everything else in between.

We saw an Osprey, a flock of Mergansers, and many other birds along the way. I can easily imagine seeing a bear or deer crossing the river at any time and except for one five minute stretch that we shared the river with some whitewater rafters we had the river to ourselves.

The fishing, well letís say if I could have hooked the fish that I had hit Iíd of had a banner day. I missed every hit I had except one fish that I broke off because of a frayed leader that I failed to check. We ended up catching two beautiful Rainbows and missing, well donít want to admit how many fish we missed. This float is worth the trip just to see the river and scenery with having some of the best trout fishing in New England as a bonus.

Larry aka Shadfreak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Flats Rat

Nice Larry, sounds like a great day on the river.

I did my first float trip this year on the Housatonic and it was magic. Floating the river made me realized how little of the river I had ever seen.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:29 PM
stop killing wild fish

I know some great holes on that river that would fish so much better from a boat. I really envy you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.